Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New touchscreen phone?

• 23-04-2009 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey everyone, want some advice...

I want to upgrade to a touchscreen phone, of some sort, not too bothered on what features- as long as there is texting, a camera and decent battery life. want a cool looking phone

Im with vodafone ready to go, and dont think there will be any point going bill pay or changing network as I have free calls and texts, and I use them!!! Barely use 20euro a month!!

Budgetwise, Im thinking up to 350ish.... any ideas, recommendations, etc...
    Or what to avoid!!! also any idea how much it costs to insure same??

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Samsung S8300 Tocco Ultra - €419.99 on vodafone.

I would suggest the Nokia 5800, but its only on vodafone pay monthly. You could get it sim free though for under your €350 range.

Here Is one store that has it sim free €333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I have an iPhone, the phone it's self looks great but, It costs a lot not only to buy but to run I'm on the O2 network which I think is cheaper that vodafone and it still costs a packet 10min phone call and all your credit is gone. The phone has some cool features like e-mail, photo camera (but no video) and you really need iTunes to get the best from you phone EG you can't create new photo albums with you phone that's all managed via iTunes. It has an iPod of course and you can download all the free appliactions you want from iTunes aswell. In my estimation the iPhone is four sure the future for mobile phones and becauise of it's adaptability it will be for some time to come. If you can get on to a cheep network it's worth it but I'm having some regrets beeing with O2. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I got my 5800XM for €245 sim-free from Adverts.ie, so that is indeed a rip off.

OP - your demands don't seem that taxing, so I am unsure of two things:
    1) Why is your budget so high? A phone can be had to fulfil your stated requirements [bar TS] for easily under 200.
    2) Why touchscreen? Jealous of a friend's iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Bluebell55

Thanks everyone for the replies...

Whats the verdict of the Tocco Vs the Tocco Ultra??

Baza, Budget is so high as have been saving money, want to treat myself really. Not jealous of anyones phone at all, just want a new cool phone!! Like ideally I dont want to spend all that money, but will stretch up to that if needs be. I know the LG is the cheapest one on vodafone, but have heard about a lot of problems, so after that Im going to have to spend over 200!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I recently bought an unlocked Lg Renoir from ebay and i have to say it's a fantastic piece of kit. The best phone ive ever had and im likely to have it for quite a while too.
    Nice camera, texting takes a day or two to get used to but you're flying after that. Great interface and im findining little nice quirks about it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

whats the story with opera (or other apps) working on these?
    i heard opera wont work on the fully touch phones, and i always like having it instead of the built in browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

Bluebell55 wrote: »
      Thanks everyone for the replies...

Whats the verdict of the Tocco Vs the Tocco Ultra??
      I had the tocco on trial with 3 and it was ok, just. there is not wifi (on both) and little or no third party apps.
      why not save for a few more weeks and get the N97. it looks to be a quality phone. the 5800xm is the N97s crash test dummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Soot-fan wrote: »
      I had the tocco on trial with 3 and it was ok, just. there is not wifi (on both) and little or no third party apps.
      why not save for a few more weeks and get the N97. it looks to be a quality phone. the 5800xm is the N97s crash test dummy.

N97 would be above €350. looking at more the €600 price for sim free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I haven't used the Nokia 5800, but have had a Tocco and wasn't hugely impressed with it, so I would suggest getting the Nokia!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

i hate touch screen phones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Tocca Ultra is very nice, got one today and wow, its my first touchscreen phone, but i have messed on my sisters iphone, and it is very responsive. Its nice and light, the slider is very smooth. Was thinking of going for the 5800, but im glad i went for this instead!

The camera is fantastic!! both the video recorder and still pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Nerin wrote: »
      whats the story with opera (or other apps) working on these?
      i heard opera wont work on the fully touch phones, and i always like having it instead of the built in browsers.

If you're asking about Opera Mini it works very well on the 5800 (big resolution screen don't you know). You can pan around by touch too.

It should also work fine on any phone that supports Java.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Bluebell55

Okay, so its lookin at being down to either the Nokia 5800 or the Tocco... will have to go look again at them in the shop and see??
        Whats the story with buying a sim free phone, once I get it, do I ring the network I want to be on, and they unlock it or something?? Do all the applications and stuff work for it then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

+1 on the Nokia 5800. its just a gorgeous phone packed with features !
        i got mine early days for 230/250 delivered from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NOKIA-5800-XPRESS-MUSIC-ORANGE-ref-P14476_W0QQitemZ220401509173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhones?hash=item220401509173&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
        get it off ebay here for 210 delivered and another 15e to unlock it most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Bluebell55 wrote: »
        Whats the story with buying a sim free phone, once I get it, do I ring the network I want to be on, and they unlock it or something?? Do all the applications and stuff work for it then??

Sim-free means it's not tied to any network. You just put in a sim card from any network that so pleases you, and start using it. You can change network any time without getting your phone "unlocked", as "unlocking" is actually the process of making a phone sim-free.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all the applications", but it won't have the piece of shit Vodafone Live firmware that you're probably used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

touch pro?

xperia x1?

practically the same phone!

I <3 my touch pro. ~350 on ebay simfree. branded o2 xda.

@Nerin, opera mini works fine (only supports 3 tabs tho and I'm not sure if that can be changed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

kaimera wrote: »
        @Nerin, opera mini works fine (only supports 3 tabs tho and I'm not sure if that can be changed)

Tabs can be changed, well on Omnia anyway (i have 9 tabs, as that is the optimum for the screen size).

1. open Opera
        2. type "opera:config" in the address bar
        3. scroll down to "user prefs" and select
        4. scroll down to until you see "maximum allowed tabs" (about maybe two thirds down) and choose how many tabs you want!
        5. restart opera and you should have the number of tabs desired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

You could pick up something better for cheaper on ebay totaally unlocked.
        I bought my last 2 phones of ebay without any problems, N95 & E71
        Have a look at samsung omnia, Pixon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

kaimera wrote: »

Assuming you're taking about Opera Mobile here - opera Mini doesn't support tabs. Yet anyways :)

• Advertisement
      Advertisement