Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did BTs option 2 go back to 3Mb/s ??

Options
  • 23-04-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

I've always been on option 2 .. I used to get 3MB/s which was upgraded to 6MB/s and now when i check the website option 2 is max 3MB/s and you have to go to option 3 to get 7.6MB/s

There is no 6MB/s product !

Can they now downgrade my speed ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I wouldn't be complaining if I were you. If you live on a LLU exchange you now get 24mbps :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

As far as I know their upgrading everyone to the 24MB speed if its available in your area next month. And their website will probably change again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I know 24MBs is not available in my area and won't be for a quite a while. Now can they change the product you're on to a slower speed ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

zod wrote: »
    I know 24MBs is not available in my area and won't be for a quite a while. Now can they change the product you're on to a slower speed ?

If you were not on a LLU exchange then you were always on the 3mbps package and you won't notice any change.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    If you were not on a LLU exchange then you were always on the 3mbps package and you won't notice any change.

I was on 3MB, this then went to 6MB.

This is the speed I've had for the last few months. This was option 2.

as discussed here and here

My current speed test is 5.8MB.

Now can BT downgrade me to 3MB at their discretion ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Your speed is 5.8 because thats as much as your line can handle. You're actually on the new option 3 (7.6).
    BT only ever had 3 options.
    Before the last upgrade it was:
    Option 1 - 1Mb
    Option 2 - 2Mb
    Option 3 - 3Mb
    Since the upgrade the 2Mb product doesn't exist anymore so you now have:
    Option 1 - 1Mb
    Option 2 - 3Mb
    Option 3 - 7.6Mb

So in short, You won't be downgraded.:)

BTW I'm ignoring the 24Mb waffle in each option title as so few can get it.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Your speed is 5.8 because thats as much as your line can handle. You're actually on the new option 3 (7.6).
    BT only ever had 3 options.
    Before the last upgrade it was:
    Option 1 - 1Mb
    Option 2 - 2Mb
    Option 3 - 3Mb
    Since the upgrade the 2Mb product doesn't exist anymore so you now have:
    Option 1 - 1Mb
    Option 2 - 3Mb
    Option 3 - 7.6Mb

So in short, You won't be downgraded.:)

BTW I'm ignoring the 24Mb waffle in each option title as so few can get it.

I'm afraid you are incorrect.

I've always been option 2 ( this was confirmed to me yesterday by BT) and BT did upgrade that to 6MB, unfortunately the internet archive does not have that captured.

However I have emails discussing this with BT from a month or two ago and (thank God) here you can see that they have not updated their FAQs on speed

and I'll quote in case its changed :

How fast is Broadband?

BT Broadband offers three options:

Broadband Option 1 offers download speeds of up to 1Mb and upload speeds of up to 128k
    Broadband Option 2 offers download speeds of up to 6Mb in certain areas click here for details and upload speeds of up to 512Kb. In all other areas up to 3Mb applies** and upload speeds of up to 384Kb
    Broadband Option 3 offers download speeds of up to 24Mb in certain areas click here for details and upload speeds of up to 1024Kb. In all other areas up to 7Mb applies** and upload speeds of up to 672Kb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Broadband Option 1 offers download speeds of up to 1Mb and upload speeds of up to 128k
    Broadband Option 2 offers download speeds of up to 6Mb in certain areas click here for details and upload speeds of up to 512Kb. In all other areas up to 3Mb applies** and upload speeds of up to 384Kb
    Broadband Option 3 offers download speeds of up to 24Mb in certain areas click here for details and upload speeds of up to 1024Kb. In all other areas up to 7Mb applies** and upload speeds of up to 672Kb

You were always on option 2 then you should of been getting 3mb. You were getting 6mb by fluke of a chance, then maybe you can count yourself lucky.

edit: You know what they are talking about when they say "up to" right? You need to be on a LLU exchange for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Option 2 is 3Mb broadband OR if you line can handle it 6MB for the same price.

i joined up last month and was told my line would be either 3MB min or if the line could handle 6MB i wouldget the 6MB line, for the same price

So at 5.8mb you have the 6MB line - option 2 which is 3MB/6MB depending on what is available. That is what i was told over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'm afraid you are incorrect.

I've always been option 2 ( this was confirmed to me yesterday by BT) and BT did upgrade that to 6MB, unfortunately the internet archive does not have that captured.

However I have emails discussing this with BT from a month or two ago and (thank God) here you can see that they have not updated their FAQs on speed

and I'll quote in case its changed :

How fast is Broadband?

BT Broadband offers three options:

Are you on an LLU exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm on the same Option 2 6Mb package and I'm on a LLU exchage. They were offering this last september and a BT person on the phone told me they are going to be upgrading to the 24Mb speed next month is my line can take it.

You were always on option 2 then you should of been getting 3mb. You were getting 6mb by fluke of a chance, then maybe you can count yourself lucky.

Wrong. as the other 2 previous posters have testfied.

My line was 3MB in Oct last, my exchange does not have a BT presence.

In November Eircom upgraded the exchange so that it would take up to 7.6mb as per their promised upgrades in Feb of 2008. I know this because a contact in Eircom alerted me as promised.

I immediately asked BT to check my speeds and they brought me up to 6MB as per option 2 which I have always had. This is the speed their FAQs refer to and the speed they offered at the time.

Now I notice that option 2 says speeds up to 3MB which has definetly changed from before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

What exchange are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

Wrong. as the other 2 previous posters have testfied.

My line was 3MB in Oct last, my exchange does not have a BT presence.

In November Eircom upgraded the exchange so that it would take up to 7.6mb as per their promised upgrades in Feb of 2008. I know this because a contact in Eircom alerted me as promised.

I immediately asked BT to check my speeds and they brought me up to 6MB as per option 2 which I have always had. This is the speed their FAQs refer to and the speed they offered at the time.

Now I notice that option 2 says speeds up to 3MB which has definetly changed from before.

Option didn't go back to 3Mb cos it never went up from it - Option 2 was only ever 6Mb for LLU area customers, customers who are on their resold eircom wholesale bitstream offering are on a 3mb product, that's all there is. It was 2Mb, eircom wholesale upped the speed to 3mb, that's it - there was no 6Mb Option 2 for the them. If you did get 6Mb and you're not on an LLU exchange, then it was probably a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

cyburger wrote: »
    Option didn't go back to 3Mb cos it never went up from it - Option 2 was only ever 6Mb for LLU area customers, customers who are on their resold eircom wholesale bitstream offering are on a 3mb product, that's all there is. It was 2Mb, eircom wholesale upped the speed to 3mb, that's it - there was no 6Mb Option 2 for the them. If you did get 6Mb and you're not on an LLU exchange, then it was probably a mistake.
    It used to be 1MB, 2MB and 3MB.

Then the upgrades happened last year...

Now it's 1MB, <3MB and <7.6MB.

On LLU, it's 1MB, <24MB, <24MB (which used to be 1MB, <6MB, <24MB)

PS: < means 'up to'.

The only way the OP is getting 6MB is if he is actually on <7.6MB and 6MB is all he can handle or else he is an LLU customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Did he just mention he was on Eircom BB? And his exchange does not have BT presence yet we are all talking about BT BB somehow.

I'm very confused. Delete thread and start again? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

I'll just say this...

don't take everything BT tells you as gospel.

i was on option 3 for years when BT were telling me i was
    on option 2.

luckily they were only charging me for option 2 so i wasn't
    complaining ;)

BT have a tendency to mess up in all manner of unusual ways! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Did he just mention he was on Eircom BB? And his exchange does not have BT presence yet we are all talking about BT BB somehow.

I'm very confused. Delete thread and start again? :D

I think he meant that BT do not have an llu in the exchange. And the only upgrade done was by Eircom(up to 7mb). Which wasnt installed by BT as we all know. But is sold by them.

Advertisement