Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying saffron rice in Dublin

• 23-04-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I love this saffron rice that you often get in nice restaurants.

Is there anywhere to buy this stuff? I have tried all the big supermarkets and can't seem to find it anywhere. I noticed whilst I was in New York recently that you could buy it over there.

Does anyone know where to get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thescruff

Is there anywhere to buy this stuff? I have tried all the big supermarkets and can't seem to find it anywhere. I noticed whilst I was in New York recently that you could buy it over there.

Was away in morocco recently and bought saffron over there really cheap.
    It's very expensive here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

saffron rice is basiclly just rice that has been cooked in water with saffron in it;)

and most resturants use tumeric instead of saffron because its cheaper, more intense colour and stronger flavour. and it prevents cancer too!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

saffron rice is basiclly just rice that has been cooked in water with saffron in it;)

and most resturants use tumeric instead of saffron because its cheaper, more intense colour and stronger flavour. and it prevents cancer too!!!:D

Is it possible to just buy it as saffron rice though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Is it possible to just buy it as saffron rice though?
    i dont think so.
    just buy some basmati or long grain rice and a jar of saffron or tumeric.
    boil 2 cups of water, add 1 cup of rice tiny pinch of tumeric/saffron. leave on a low heat, stir it often, bish bash bosh, job done

i dont think so.
    boil 2 cups of water, add 1 cup of rice tiny pinch of tumeric/saffron. leave on a low heat, stir it often, bish bash bosh, job done

Cheers. I will go find a jar of saffron so! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Cheers. I will go find a jar of saffron so! Thanks.

be prepared for the shock saffron strands can cost you about €30 for 10grammes if it is for rice try buy saffron powder its a whole lot cheaper, I know alot of people use tumeric but the taste is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

As they said, saffron rice is rice coocked with saffron in it. You can buy saffron in powder or threads, oriental shops usually sell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I love saffron to the point where I've grown my own crocus but with very poor results. :(
    There really is no comparison between turmeric and saffron in flavour or colour for me. As mentioned above most oriental and asian shops sell it and sell it much cheaper then in the mainstream supermarkets. It might seem expensive but a few strands go a long way.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Holy lord, wait until you see the price:eek: :p

Use saffdor, its a powder form of saffron, but lets be honest, a powder form of soup just isn't the same.
    If your making rice for 2, 4/5 strands is well more than enough, the more you add the deeper the colour and more you waste.
    If using saffdor you need about .3 of a gramme. touch a teaspoon top into the powder, shake so theres none on the spoon, just dust, dip in the rice water and cook.

DON'T spill it whatever you do. A commis dropped a jar of it one morning. Then instead of brushing it he washed it, :rolleyes: :eek: :D.

There really is no comparison between turmeric and saffron in flavour or colour for me

Old goat makes a good point^^^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OldGoat wrote: »
    There really is no comparison between turmeric and saffron in flavour or colour for me.
    Saffron is made from the dried stigma of a particular kind of crocus, and turmeric is made by grinding the dried root of Curcuma, a plant from the ginger family.

They're two totally different things, both in terms of flavour and source. The only similarity is that they both stain everything they touch yellow, and there the similarity ends.

• Advertisement

DON'T spill it whatever you do. A commis dropped a jar of it one morning. Then instead of brushing it he washed it, :rolleyes: :eek: :D.

this reminds me of the time I had a commis drop some ice cubes so I yelled at him to pick them up and wash them under hot water you should have seen his poor face when they were washing down the sink... some good times in the kitchen:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Commis lesson #1: Never ever, EVER, drink the last beer in the fridge. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Its amazing what people will do when spoken to in an authorative tone:D counting spag so we could portion it correctly, shaving kiwi's :D

Lets not hijack the thread, think we could have a whole new one full of silly jobs of the commis chefs:eek:
    rocknchef wrote: »

this reminds me of the time I had a commis drop some ice cubes so I yelled at him to pick them up and wash them under hot water you should have seen his poor face when they were washing down the sink... some good times in the kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i dont think so.

No, no, no no, no.:eek:
    Do not stir rice often unless it's rice pudding or risotto!
    Unless you want your rice to be like rice pudding or risotto, that is!

i dont think so.

Ok.

I tried to make "saffron" rice with tumeric, so really it was "turmeric" rice.

I did the one cup of thai jasmine rice and two cups of water. Grand.

I put in about a half of a teaspoon (on less really) of turmeric (Schwarz). The rice tasted the same as the white rice on it's own really. But the rice was not yellow in colour, it was blatantly orange.

Did I do something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Too much tumeric - it's potent stuff. Try halfing that amount again for that quantity of rice and see how you go. 1/8 tsp. would do per cup of rice.

Too much tumeric - it's potent stuff. Try halfing that amount again for that quantity of rice and see how you go. 1/8 tsp. would do per cup of rice.

Great. I will try that. Thanks.

I didn't really taste the tumeric even though I had loads of it in so!

Best thing about cooking is do it to your taste if it wasnt strong enough add more next time if its then too strong dont add as much. also nice to put in are some cloves, whole cardamon, cinnamon sticks etc

Advertisement