Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGDE in UCD

• 23-04-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

I just sent off that €260 giro form today to Gaillimh and here's what I have been able to ascertain about the PGDE in UCD in the forthcoming year:

1) There are two examinations, one in December in Psychology and Special Educational Needs, and one in May in the areas of Sociology, Philosophy and History of Education.

2) Each of the above exams carry 5 credits out of a total of 60 credits for the course.

3) Teaching practice carries 25 credits, and the remaining credits are for 4 Assignments and a Portfolio (5 credits each).

4) You will need to take two subjects for special methodology lectures. These ideally should be subjects you have taken to degree level. If you wish to take a subject which you took in 1st year, you can do so but it will not qualify you to be registered to teach it. When you are registered to teach a subject, you are registered to teach it to Leaving Cert level.

5) You can attend the special methodology lectures in more than two subjects but you will only submit an assignment in two subjects and be given a grade for two of the areas.

Is there anything else that needs to be known about this course?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Question: How many hours must we teach per week as part of our training, and do we get paid for those hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Dionysus wrote: »
    Question: How many hours must we teach per week as part of our training, and do we get paid for those hours?

When I did the Dip, I taught 11 classes a week, I dunno how many hours that works out as. You do not get paid for TP.

Thanks. Does the average PGDE student get extra work/teaching hours from the school throughout the year for which he/she would get paid?

Thanks. Does the average PGDE student get extra work/teaching hours from the school throughout the year for which he/she would get paid?

Normally yes, the HDip students might get some substitution work, for which they get paid the unqualified rate. However in the current climate I wouldn't count on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

When I did the Dip I worked full time with subbing, got 3 medium length stints of it. However, in our school this year most are lucky to get one class a week subsitution. Keep a part-time job if you can.

• Advertisement

Thanks again. I'm just wondering where you are all getting the hours if we have to be back in UCD by 2pm (or is it 12?) I have a couple of interviews with schools this week and wonder should I ask them is there a possibility for substitution work.

Thanks again. I'm just wondering where you are all getting the hours if we have to be back in UCD by 2pm (or is it 12?) I have a couple of interviews with schools this week and wonder should I ask them is there a possibility for substitution work.

Do ask them - at the end of the interview when they ask have you any questions.

When I was doing the dip we had to be in school from 8:45 till 12:30 and might only have 2 or max 3 classes during that time so the principal would give us classes to cover for which we got paid during the periods we were free.

I just checked the UCD fees section for the fees for 2009 -2010 and it appears they will remain the same as 2008 -2009: €6,530.

That's according to this:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/postgraduate/human_sciences_fees%2009-10.html

What with wages going down 10% - 25% and prices of everything from houses to corn flakes gone and going down this is in effect an increase and seems a bit rich (to put it mildly).

Advertisement