Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AE111 Levin Super Strut Suspenson Problem

• 23-04-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Iv got a 97 Levin BZR with Super Strut Suspenson. Can anyone help me figure out why my suspenson is squeaking like crazy on the front left wheel? Iv checked the bushings and they are all sound. It also only seems to squeak when the weather is dry! Any suggestions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Superstrut wouldn't be the cause of squeaking dude, the only noise that makes is a knocking if its gone wrong. Is it creaking when the shock is compressed? Or is it like a brake disc squeal as if the caliper is not returning after pressing the brakes? When exactly does it happen? Could be your shock absorber? If it only happens when dry that indicates a dried up bush to me, try greasing them up and see if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ralphy2k9

p-nut wrote: »
    Superstrut wouldn't be the cause of squeaking dude, the only noise that makes is a knocking if its gone wrong. Is it creaking when the shock is compressed? Or is it like a brake disc squeal as if the caliper is not returning after pressing the brakes? When exactly does it happen? Could be your shock absorber? If it only happens when dry that indicates a dried up bush to me, try greasing them up and see if that helps
    Ya lad, its more off a creaking when the shock is compressed. It happens anytime I go over a bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Ralphy2k9 wrote: »
    Ya lad, its more off a creaking when the shock is compressed. It happens anytime I go over a bump.

tbh shocks rarely creak even when they're blown and dried out, i'm not dismissing the chance of it being the shock, but just doubt it would be. Does the front left of the car feel bouncier than the other shocks? If it feels a lot bouncier then its your shock fooked, otherwise i'd stick to my guns and say its your bushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

The shocks and bushes on the Superstruts tend to be sound....Id say its one of the ball joints...you are gauranteed these will fail after being on Irish roads a while.

There are 3 main parts that can fail: camber control arm, Figure of 8 joint, and upper ball joint.

The camber control arm is the longer arm and the dearest...has two ball joints and one rubber bush. About 250 euro.

The Figure 8 joint is the 8 shaped joint with one hole and one ball joint in built. About 90 euro. I had to change them on both sides.

The upper ball joint is connecting the bottom arm of the shock to the hub...60 euro and again I had to change both on mine.

But before you go spending money do as advised above and grease the rubbers....but Ive only ever seen the 3 above parts giving trouble on a few levins/celicas.

Best way to test each joint is to jack the wheel up and have it well supported, then reach in and pull at the various arms. Any play and the joint is failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brencurr

hey jus seen your prob there you had with your levin, ive same car, same year and same prob front pass side, did you ever get it fixed? what waz it? how much? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I had a problem a while back on my Celica, really really bad squeak on front passenger side, going over bumps, and when jacking it up. I greased up all the rubbers or so I thought to no avail. But i missed this lad circled below.

figureof8.jpg

Also that site is pretty good for pics, if you go to http://www.gtfours.co.uk/ and pick how to>suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If you want to check your shocks give them a good push down each corner of the car, if they're sound it should rebound only once.

If all you can hear is squeaking then it could just be worn bushes, or they could just be a bit dry but if the car pulls to the side on accelerating/braking or you steering wanders a bit too much then it's definitely one of the camber arms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brencurr

shocks seem grand,wud the bushes be expensive or hard to do! dont wanna go toyota theyll jus tell me its the strut ****!! i greased up all the joints me cud still hear it. so annoying. car s grand driving and steerin is grand too

Advertisement