Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How tight should the heatsink be? (i7)

Options
  • 23-04-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hello experts

I am doing my first build with an i7 CPU....

I got the OEM version of the CPU without heat sink and I am using a Thermalright 120 with the bolt through kit. The motherboard is mounted vertically.

Although the heatsink is secure and I think is mated well thermally with the CPU, it will rotate thorough +/- ~ 10 degrees with very little pressure.

Is this normal?

The heat sink screws are 'good and tight' without having applied brute force to them.

I haven't loaded Vista yet but I have booted to the BIOS screen and all seems well but I was wondering if whether the heatsink should be more rigidly attached to the CPU.

Thinking about it, my guess is that the low friction thermal grease would allow some play without compromising the thermal contact but I would like your opinions...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Hello experts

I am doing my first build with an i7 CPU....

I got the OEM version of the CPU without heat sink and I am using a Thermalright 120 with the bolt through kit. The motherboard is mounted vertically.

Although the heatsink is secure and I think is mated well thermally with the CPU, it will rotate thorough +/- ~ 10 degrees with very little pressure.

Is this normal?

The heat sink screws are 'good and tight' without having applied brute force to them.

I haven't loaded Vista yet but I have booted to the BIOS screen and all seems well but I was wondering if whether the heatsink should be more rigidly attached to the CPU.

Thinking about it, my guess is that the low friction thermal grease would allow some play without compromising the thermal contact but I would like your opinions...

Thanks!

Have the same cooler, wouldn't be too worried.....
    Heatsink was always a little wobbily for me too. Ideally you want the heatsink on secure with very little give, but in this case I wouldn't loose any sleep based on my experience of using the cooler for over a year on a b3 stepping quadcore (b3 being the 1st extra hot version....)

Install coretemp when you get windows running: once the temps are ok I wouldn't be worried.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Meh, mine is the same and it's sound. I've read on other forums that people have put a penny or a rubber washer between the heatsink and the mounting bracket. It's makes the contact betweem the heatsink and the cpu that little bit better. Some people have noticed temps drop a few degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Meh, mine is the same and it's sound. I've read on other forums that people have put a penny or a rubber washer between the heatsink and the mounting bracket. It's makes the contact betweem the heatsink and the cpu that little bit better. Some people have noticed temps drop a few degrees.

^Dont know if I could recommend this though.... Could lose your warrenty on the cooler, mobo, and CPU if it damaged it :S

Advertisement