Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First iphone bill shock! :0

Options
  • 23-04-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

ok folks I'll get right to the point.bought my iphone last month on the 175 plan i.e 1GB free data per month...loads as i don't download much,mostly browse and check my mails

today i logged onto my o2 online account and I've been charged €195 for Data used on the day I got my iphone,I rang up and what the girl said was that as the billing didn't switch over to the new plan until midnight,the Data was charged at my old tarif rate! :eek:

now there was no mention of this by the lad in car phone warehouse at all when I got it,but what can I do now?

looks like the rate charged was €10 per meg :confused:

surely I can fight them on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Certainly should be able to. I would assume that it would be quite easy for them to backdate the billing to the correct plan if you kick up enough of a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i was with o2 for a year, and every time my bill was high, i'd ring and get a massive discount, thought o2 were very good when it came to that sort of problem

they even sent me a cheque for over e80 when i switched to vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Check the contract you signed to see if this is mentioned.

Ring back and ask for a supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Hi there..
    I know 2 people that got absolutely burned with something similiar with o2. The are the biggest shower of w@nkrs going. DO NOT PAY A THING!!
    Argue that you are a loyal customer and that you were not told this and you are not paying. Please dont pay it!! PLEASE!! for all them ppl that o2 rip off with scams like this.

My mates got away with not paying and another payed half (he was roaming and was never told it was like 10er a meg!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

cool I'll ring back tomorrow
    would the fact that I also have my broadband account with o2 and that I bought my macbook pro from them make any difference to you think I should mention that?

EDIT: just to add I've already payed! they took the money on the 20th via direct debit,I only noticed today when I couldn't get money out for lunch as my account is now overdrawn due to a €300 phone bill!

the billing date is 24th,tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

punchdrunk wrote: »
    would the fact that I also have my broadband account with o2 and that I bought my macbook pro from them make any difference to you think I should mention that?
    You should say like:

'I am a loyal customer of O2, I have bought a macbook from you, and get broadband from you' etc.

Thanks folks! hopefully I get some resolution from them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

EDIT: just to add I've already payed! they took the money on the 20th via direct debit,I only noticed today when I couldn't get money out for lunch as my account is now overdrawn due to a €300 phone bill!

Thats mad. I find o2 good when it comes to problems. I used bebo on my mobile. it was free all along but when they started charging for it, it added e140 onto my bill. I rang to complain (even though they had send a text saying free bebo was ending). They took the money off my next bill!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ah the joys of the direct debit scheme. You are entitled to a minimum of 14 days notice of debiting. If they have not given that then you should ask your bank to reverse the amount they debited. Also the direct debit scheme clearly states that disputed amounts should not be debited (that is the purpose of the notice period to allow people to sort queries out).

If you have any problems please please ring IPSO (full contact details at www.ipso.ie) they are responisible for the direct debit scheme and are always claming how perfect it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Not if they are using the Direct Debt Plus system, thats only 7 days notice.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Something similar happened to me, got a C902 and went mad using Google Maps on it. A silly bill arrived and I rang 02 and after not very much hassle at all they substantially reduced the bill.

Always found their customer service to be top notch in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if you signed up to the iphone price plan then why would they keep you on the old plan until midnight? someone was lazy or o2's systems are just too old to cope.

you can also logon to the o2 forum pages to see if the staff there can help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Not if they are using the Direct Debt Plus system, thats only 7 days notice.

MC

Yes that direct debt plus (there is nothing plus about it - it makes it virtually impossible for the customer to complain - even if you get the bill 7 days in advance - two days gone for a weekend and the dd is submitted to the bank three days in advance:( ) but you should only be on a direct debit plus if you signed up over the phone and even then you should be clearly told that you are on direct debit plus. Anything less than 14 days notice should be by agreement with the customer.

Agree completely, just pointing out the possibility that the "Plus" system is a shorter notice period, the system are a complete joke.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

O2 are great at reducing bills to be fair to them. I was away foreign for a while, and stupidly used my iPhone to surf the web for a few days. Got home and received a phone call from them telling me I had spent a load of money. I checked my bill online and had a data usage cost of €1,600!!!

I rang them back and told them the truth - basically that I had no idea I would be charged so much. I was in an EU country at the time, surely I thought it couldn't have cost that much. Well after a couple of days I rang them again and they wiped the bill!

Once again - fair play O2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Frogdog wrote: »
    O2 are great at reducing bills to be fair to them. I was away foreign for a while, and stupidly used my iPhone to surf the web for a few days. Got home and received a phone call from them telling me I had spent a load of money. I checked my bill online and had a data usage cost of €1,600!!!

I rang them back and told them the truth - basically that I had no idea I would be charged so much. I was in an EU country at the time, surely I thought it couldn't have cost that much. Well after a couple of days I rang them again and they wiped the bill!

Once again - fair play O2!
    fair play to them but realistically they are partly to blame for not making the cost of these roaming services readily available or easy to understand for their customers

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

foggy_lad wrote: »
    fair play to them but realistically they are partly to blame for not making the cost of these roaming services readily available or easy to understand for their customers

What rubbish, they're on the website, you can call customer care or ask in a store, how much handholding do people need these days? if you're not sure of how much something costs, ask! "oh i didnt know" just isnt an excuse that flies with me anymore, you're an adult, open your mouth and ask a question or take responsiblilty for your own actions as a result, simple as.

anyway to the OP, what most likely happened is the dealer never activated your plan or rang it through, pretty common with carphone dealers tbh, just ring o2 customer care, theres no need to ask for a supervisor as any agent can deal with it, its an issue easily fixed, they can get thew finance dept to refund you for the amount debited it goes through in a few days, easy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm on o2 UK but it clearly stated in the documentation for my iPhone that I had to top up the phone and wait for a text telling me my free web access had been enabled.

OP was there no documentation like that with your iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He's already stated he was on billpay...

I expect in the 5 years to come the abolition of roaming charges will be implimtented, no reason for it in the information age.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I expect in the 5 years to come the abolition of roaming charges will be implimtented, no reason for it in the information age.

Except, you know, the money, which they'd need to get somewhere else instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ok folks I'll get right to the point.bought my iphone last month on the 175 plan i.e 1GB free data per month...loads as i don't download much,mostly browse and check my mails

today i logged onto my o2 online account and I've been charged €195 for Data used on the day I got my iphone,I rang up and what the girl said was that as the billing didn't switch over to the new plan until midnight,the Data was charged at my old tarif rate! :eek:

now there was no mention of this by the lad in car phone warehouse at all when I got it,but what can I do now?

looks like the rate charged was €10 per meg :confused:

surely I can fight them on this?

My mate has an iPhone and whatever way he has it configured, he only pays a few Euro a month for it. Basically his mobile company don't know it's an iPhone, (he didn't buy it through them!), and he is on another scheme that costs him sfa per month...

Hi folks just an update,got credited the full amount to my account
    So I'm happy enough win that,my advice is don't bother calling outside office
    Hours cause they're a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

my advice is don't bother calling outside office
    Hours cause they're a waste of time
    It's good advice and it's generally true. During office hours you'll get full-time permanent people who give a crap. Outside of that you get students and part-time workers who really may not care at all and may be hungover and/or a bit drunk. I've been one of them :)

Advertisement