Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Gas Bill, can't pay it

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

Next time everyone who was reading this thread will know to take gas and electricity readings before other tenants move out.
    It is very easy to check readings from last bills, then check readings on meters and find how much you will have to pay for next bill.

few years ago when I was renting house with other people before somebody moved out I always checked how many gas or electricty units were used, what was last bills readings, what is the standing charge and before person moved out I took proper amount from his/her deposit.

You will never get exact amount , but few euro difference is something you can afford - it is not 1,5k.

Good luck in proving to tenants, that you didn't use so much gas after they moved out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Zab wrote: »
    Where did you get this idea? If the meter is inside, as I assume that it is, then you have to let the meter reader in. If you don't do this, and ignore the cards they leave and the warnings on the bill, then all your bills will be estimated.

http://www.bordgais.ie/networks/index.jsp?1nID=102&2nID=115&3nID=348&nID=410

It's 4 times a year, they have to do real readings. If the meter is inside the house (I've never seen a gas meter in a house, only ESB), then they obviously need access. If the OP ignored the attempted read cards they should have dropped, then it's even more his own fault. There's no way estimated bills should go on, or be let go on, for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

jor el wrote: »
    http://www.bordgais.ie/networks/index.jsp?1nID=102&2nID=115&3nID=348&nID=410

It's 4 times a year, they have to do real readings. If the meter is inside the house (I've never seen a gas meter in a house, only ESB), then they obviously need access. If the OP ignored the attempted read cards they should have dropped, then it's even more his own fault. There's no way estimated bills should go on, or be let go on, for years.

Your link clearly states that they'll estimate it if they can't get access to the meter.

I've had this happen to at least two friends, and I agree that it's their own fault at the end of the day. Not much point in saying that to them, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gcluskey

The gas has now been switched off, the bill came in at almost €3,000 so I'd no choice. Terrible thing to happen to anyone
    Not getting any help from my landlord, I'm left in a house with no gas and no tenants. **** it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gcluskey wrote: »
    The gas has now been switched off, the bill came in at almost €3,000 so I'd no choice. Terrible thing to happen to anyone
    Not getting any help from my landlord, I'm left in a house with no gas and no tenants. **** it anyway
    How has it double in 3 months?
    It would hardly cost €1,500 for 3 months of Gas during the summer months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement