Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

How do you move on after that? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

seems we're having a bit of a problem here on Mary I moving on.... well we could move on in many ways, the most obvious being to change the subject :p

does anybody know who i would file a complaint with about my ped-op? i figure if i cant change what im doing, i might as well at least let them know their system isn't working!

ooh and happy new year to everybody! hope ye had a great time :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

does anybody know who i would file a complaint with about my ped-op? i figure if i cant change what im doing, i might as well at least let them know their system isn't working!

You could try the SU vice president first of all... they hold the office of education officer as well as vice. He might be able to point you in the direction of a receiver of complaints:D. Other places... your course contact maybe? An Bord Acadúil?!

The only thing is Mary I is a bit too cosy for my liking. I don't think applecarts are disrupted very often. I've only been here a year and a half and there's been at least 5-10 things I've come close to, or actually (semi) officially complained about. A major one of those things happening only three weeks ago during my exams!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

thanks, i'll ask the VP when we get back.
    yeah i know what you mean, but i also come from the school of thought that says nothing will ever change if we don't do something about it! like it's all well and good and fun to complain about Mary I, but it won't change unless we lodge complaints.... and truth be told, it probably won't change then either but at least someone will have read the complaint and it'l register somewhere eventually!

You're right. If nobody actually complains officially nobody will ever have to acknowledge the complaint. Good luck with it, the whole Ped op selection process doesn't sound too inviting...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Class Reps are in my opinion poorly utilized. I have had my fair share of problems during my time in Mary I and I have to say that all of them were dealt with in a very friendly manner. You would be surprised what the college can do for you at times.:)

The most important thing is not to lose your cool! Be polite and it can work wonders. Also don't let a problem simmer until it is too late. Like every problem the quicker you tackle it the better. People are not mindreaders, if you don't talk to someone then don't expect your problem to be solved. There are lots of people you can talk to about any problem.

Class Rep.
    Tutor.
    SU.
    Lecturer (Call to their office or email them for an appointment).
    Head of Department.(Likewise)

Sometimes I find that people assume nothing will be done to help them. Trust me if they can help you they will but part of college is that the odd time you just have to deal with it and get on with things. It is good prep for when you leave and start working with idiots :D

Anyway enough of that, you can always turn to boards for help, I find After Hours works wonders for the soul:D

So what is everybody doing this coming semester?? I myself will be doing a bit of tutoring while I carry on with the Ph.D. I'll also be telling anyone that comes to me with a problem to ask in After Hours :pac:

RonMexico wrote: »
    So what is everybody doing this coming semester?? I myself will be doing a bit of tutoring while I carry on with the Ph.D. I'll also be telling anyone that comes to me with a problem to ask in After Hours :pac:
    Starting some sort of nerdy SOC. Also I think they'd get a better answer in The Cuckoo's nest!

Noted :D

Hmmm I should have started a society when I had the chance. So many missed opportunities. Actually I did...sort of!

I remember one time when they had the clubs day in the lounge and my friend was lying on the couch trying to recover from a severe hangover. He is how you might say "a strange looking fellow" - crazy hair, big long leather trenchcoat, lack of social skills, prone to fits of bat$hit insane behaviour...you get the picture. Anyway I spotted a group of first years milling about and signing up to various clubs, so I seized the opportunity to unnerve a few people. I grabbed a sheet of paper, stuck it to the window above his head and put another on the table where you could sign up.

The sheet on the window read - "THE MUCKY SEX SOCIETY"

You should have seen the reaction from all the first years:D

My friend woke up, figured out what the fuss was all about - then went back to sleep :pac: We signed up a few people too and put a few coins in a jar in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Fingers Crossed I shall be attending Mary I after 6th Year.. just did my CAO and put down the B.Ed. as number one. I went down for the Open Day but I didnt take a tour or anything! What are the individual classes and just the college in general really like from a students perspective? Like Irish, English, PE, Music etc.. would be good to see what its like from a student rather then a prospectus or lecturers.thanks :)

For your safety, and the safety of others, I will allow someone else to answer the above questions, but welcome to the gang in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

cork*girl wrote: »
    What are the individual classes and just the college in general really like from a students perspective? Like Irish, English, PE, Music etc.. would be good to see what its like from a student rather then a prospectus or lecturers.thanks :)

If you know anyone in Mary I, you should come up and tag along with them for a day. I'm sure they wouldn't mind and you'd get the feel for it!

.... as for plans next semester... I'm thinking recession-friendly nights out, the cheaper the better. Have had so much less work than expected so far and am BROKE! Need to have something to distract me from the impending doom on Jan 29th (results day!)

Y'know, nerd soc nights are free! :P

Do I qualify as a nerd?! (I suppose if I pay my €2 on Clubs and Socs day then I will!)

Exactly! To be honest if you want to be a nerd, you generally are. You can be nerdy about anything. Your knowledge of indy music borders on nerdy. There you go!

Fingers Crossed I shall be attending Mary I after 6th Year.. just did my CAO and put down the B.Ed. as number one. I went down for the Open Day but I didnt take a tour or anything! What are the individual classes and just the college in general really like from a students perspective? Like Irish, English, PE, Music etc.. would be good to see what its like from a student rather then a prospectus or lecturers.thanks :)

Hi there cork*girl, welcome to the Mary I thread:)

First of all, you can see the First B.Ed timetable here. It might be a bit perplexing, but that's because there are 8 different groups usually in a B.ed year group. The easiest way to view it is to pretend you're in group 1, and see what the timetable would be like for you then. You need to know what Art subjects you'd be doing along with Irish as well.

I'll deal with the subjects you mentioned, if you want to know about any others, just ask:D.

Irish Education/Múineadh na Gaeilge:
    You learn about teaching of Irish, obviously. It wouldn't be the most exciting lecture ever, but I personally find the lecturers to be very helpful (though one of them may be a tad scary;))

English Language Ed.:
    Useful lectures, once again, not the most exciting ever. You learn about comprehension strategies, stages of writing, what oral language is, in First yr semester one, if I remember correctly.

PE:
    Usually quite fun (I don't like sport at all). You'll learn about how to teach the Games strand in first year semester one. You have to buy and wear a uniform tracksuit for this:rolleyes:, but you'll get over that. Lots of jumping and running about.

Music Education:
    A lecture which I always found to be very enjoyable. You'll learn about teaching and performing songs in semester one. This involves singing and playing instruments (things like chimebars and agogos). No prior musical knowledge is necessary but it helps.

As I said, any more questions, I'm willing to answer them. I hope my info is correct, other posters, feel free to correct me:p!

True I suppose! Right then, these Nerd Soc meetings will have to cater for my indie music needs... You've brought this on yourself D4RK ONION!!

I'm sure Rock Band has some of that indie tripe on it, let me have a look here *searches through brain like a collection of old records*
    Ah here we go! *removes record from brain collection* and blows off the dust*

Oh, I can tell you're going to love this song ;)
    *HEY!*

PS: If you're not replying to the person directly above you and the conversation has moved on, you should press this button quote.gif:)

I didn't see dambarude's post when I was replying, hence the reason I didn't use the quote button... Forgive me for acting like such a n00b!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Forgive me for acting like such a n00b!

haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

dambarude wrote: »
    Hi there cork*girl, welcome to the Mary I thread:)

First of all, you can see the First B.Ed timetable here. It might be a bit perplexing, but that's because there are 8 different groups usually in a B.ed year group. The easiest way to view it is to pretend you're in group 1, and see what the timetable would be like for you then. You need to know what Art subjects you'd be doing along with Irish as well.

I'll deal with the subjects you mentioned, if you want to know about any others, just ask:D.

Irish Education/Múineadh na Gaeilge:
    You learn about teaching of Irish, obviously. It wouldn't be the most exciting lecture ever, but I personally find the lecturers to be very helpful (though one of them may be a tad scary;))

English Language Ed.:
    Useful lectures, once again, not the most exciting ever. You learn about comprehension strategies, stages of writing, what oral language is, in First yr semester one, if I remember correctly.

PE:
    Usually quite fun (I don't like sport at all). You'll learn about how to teach the Games strand in first year semester one. You have to buy and wear a uniform tracksuit for this:rolleyes:, but you'll get over that. Lots of jumping and running about.

Music Education:
    A lecture which I always found to be very enjoyable. You'll learn about teaching and performing songs in semester one. This involves singing and playing instruments (things like chimebars and agogos). No prior musical knowledge is necessary but it helps.

As I said, any more questions, I'm willing to answer them. I hope my info is correct, other posters, feel free to correct me:p!

thanks for that!!! Would love to get in.. points will go up I would say though.. Im going to be positive about it though ;)

• Advertisement

Positive thinking can do wonders!

Anyway, best of luck with it. You might be surprised. Really thought I didn't get my course when the results came out so I got a great surprise on CAO day when they went down 10 points. You'd never know what might happen so all you can do is give it your best shot!

thanks for that!!! Would love to get in.. points will go up I would say though.. Im going to be positive about it though ;)

You'll be a regular here by September I'm sure! Good luck with your mocks:D

What do you guys think of Mary I's youtube channel and videos? (http://www.youtube.com/user/maryicollege).

Does anyone even know they exist I wonder?:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What do you guys think of Mary I's youtube channel and videos? (http://www.youtube.com/user/maryicollege).

I had no idea that channel existed! Even my own channel has more views than that :D

MUST... NOT... TROLL...

:P

Wonder when one of their videos is going to be a rick roll:D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

@RonMexico, how's the Ph.D going for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭paddypender

Hi,

Just wondering can anyone tell me do you need higher level french to do the B.Ed in Mary I?

I have looked at the mary immaculate website and the c.a.o and still uncertain.

Thanks in advance,
    Paddy

Nope, you don't need higher level French to do the B. Ed. degree.

You wouldn't be able to choose French as one of your academic subjects without getting a higher C3 in the L.C. but there are plenty of others to choose from anyway: Music, Philosophy, Theology, English, Maths, Geography, History etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Are they ever going to put up our timetables for this semester?
    UL have had theirs since the start of the month..would it be so hard to just put up links on the site..they surely have them made out by now..right?

Just tell me I don't have many early mornings..and I still have fridays off..:D

Oh and just went checking the web results on the ul.ie site
    Seems they are finally aware that some maryi results went out early..this message was on the results page
    Web results are disabled as students are currently being graded. Results will be available again from Thursday 21st January. 'MIC Students' exam results available after 5.00pm on Friday, January 29th.
    Sickener

Advertisement