Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Wonder what's happening on Bedford Row on Monday...

Strange to have a RAG week event so far from college. Maybe there'll be a chain-gang pub crawl in the city centre!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

RonMexico wrote: »
    That has to be the worst Rag Week line up in a long time.

You said it man. We should have our own boardsie rag week!

All 6 of us! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Wonder what's happening on Bedford Row on Monday...

Strange to have a RAG week event so far from college. Maybe there'll be a chain-gang pub crawl in the city centre!

FLASHMOB!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

FLASHMOB!

surely advertising a flashmob defeats the purpose of a flashmob...
    Isn't it meant to be kind of a surprise? If everyone knows its happening there will be no impact...

Fair play to the people taking part, but advertising it makes no sense to me.
    Plus, how is that a rag event? If its meant to be a random event, how is it raising money for charity?

rag=raise and give....
    That has to be the worst Rag Week line up in a long time.
    For all the **** we got last year over rag week..it was better than this years...

• Advertisement

boards just censored me?!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Certain words are covered by a "swear filter". PM me or D4RK ONION for info on how to counter-act this...
    >_>

<_<

Also, in relation to the RAG Week line-up, I'll repeat what I said on Facebook:

DO NOT WANT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

surely advertising a flashmob defeats the purpose of a flashmob...

i'm not involved at all... so surely that doesn't count as advertising.... but it's all over mary i... completely ruining the surprise element!

Haha, you really need to post more, shít man!
    Also, in relation to the RAG Week line-up, I'll repeat what I said on Facebook:

DO NOT WANT!!!
    do-not-want-dog.jpg

shít
    Sneaky putting in fadas :P

taken from misu.ie
    RAG WEEK 2010
    Monday
    1pm Bedford Row
    4pm Scott’s – DJ Darryl Eade & Free Beer
    9pm Clem Smith’s
    10.30pm Sinbin – Twin Time

Tuesday
    2-5pm Student Union Lounge
    Spin South West Zoo Crew
    3pm Queen MIC
    4pm Battle of the sexes
    11pm Trinity Rooms – EXAMPLE

Wednesday
    Spin South West’s Zoo Crew
    3pm Halla – Dodgeball tournament
    4pm King MIC
    Where’s Wally
    11pm Angel Lane – Glo Rave

Thursday
    2pm Labatts (Local band)
    3.30pm Hot Electric (Mary I band)
    9pm Molly’s – 60s night

and last years (Taken from the ents bebo blog)
    Monday
    Day Events-Scotts
    Chain Gang Pub Crawl with prizes for the first teams back
    Free Beer, The Strangelets, Dj Darryl Eade @ Scotts
    Lots of other cool stuff outside Scotts during the day!

Night-Trinity Rooms
    Monday Night Cheese Fest with Special Guests
    Cheesy music all night in Trinity Rooms with the Rubberbandits, dj Willie O' DJ, and some surprise guests. Tickets 5e

Tuesday
    Day Events-The Students' Lounge
    Dj, The Hot Electric, Brian O'Brien, Hypnotist

Night-Mollys & Trinity Rooms
    Pre Party in Mollys
    90's Rave with Leeroy(The Prodigy) and SASH!
    The greatest Rave Maryi has ever seen. Come dressed in neons and carrying glowsticks!
    Tickets 10e
    Wednesday
    Day-The Lounge
    Dj, Fred, Queen Mic

Night- Clem Smiths,Dolans & Scarlett's
    Pre-gig party in Clems with very special drinks promos for Maryi students
    The Coronas plus special guests in Dolans
    Grab a grand promos in Scarlett's all night

Thursday
    Day-The Lounge
    Dj, King MIC, Big Generator

Night- Clem Smiths, Dolans & Mollys
    Pre-gig party in Clems with very special drinks promos for Maryi students
    The Sawdoctors plus special guests in Dolans
    Farewell Party in Mollys- Play Rock/Paper/Scissors with the barman to win a free drink!

Alternative night in Bakers Place. For details and lineup check posters up around the college

• Advertisement

Yes yes, Ciarriochone is teh shítzells, and his rag week was way awesomer :P The buzz going around the college is hilarious, I reckon there'll be a lynch mob formed by the end of the day, desperate for the blood of the SU :P
    "Last edited by ciarraioch1; Today at 11:16. Reason: could be seen as mean"

AW... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Last years line up was A LOT better.

Was this years hindered by a lack of cash? There doesn't seem to be any "name" events. Last year there was The Bandits, Guy from Prodigy, Coronas, Saw Doctors.

This year - EXAMPLE????????

Still 60's party in Mollys should be a laugh. Last time I was at one of those I was invited to Burning Man Festival by a Hells Angel...yeah that was weird.:D

I reckon there'll be a lynch mob formed by the end of the day, desperate for the blood of the SU

Ha! I hope not...
    Was this years hindered by a lack of cash?

The SU is one of the wealthiest Students' unions in the country..however the prez may not have been allowed to spend a large amount of money..

Another possibility is that they had stuff arranged for week 3, but those plans got messed up by the change of week...?

RonMexico wrote: »
    Last time I was at one of those I was invited to Burning Man Festival by a Hells Angel...yeah that was weird.:D

Now that's a story to tell the grandchildren!

It probably didn't help that the party was in a bar that had giant flying pink elephants painted on the walls and I was wearing a hat with "lunatic" printed across the front.

Anyway moral of the story...eh... Rag Week is what you make of it regardless of what is put on by the SU.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Costello's on Monday night is where the real party will be.

Ah Costello's, many a good night in that place. The toilets upstairs are straight out of trainspotting. :D

Costello's on Monday night is where the real party will be.

Has to be done! :)

It's really the only place I'll go. Good fun to be had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Hey, not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'll give it a shot.
    I'm thinking about going to Mary I, and I'm wondering what the Music course is like? As in, done as an Arts subject with a B Ed.?
    Any information would be really appreciated :D

• Advertisement

Hello Ash M, welcome to the thread, this is indeed the right place. :)

While I don't think any of the people here have done Music with their B.Ed, I do know that you're going to need a really good knowledge of music theory and know your way around an instrument well too. It aint easy, but then none of the Arts subjects are. Taken from the Annual Guide (which you might want to take a look at :))
    Course Entry Requirement
    There is no formal entrance examination for music but prospective students must have a satisfactory standard of music literacy and the ability to play an instrument and/or sing. Students must sit a short Entrance test in week 1.

(Typical Entrance Test Requirements: Notation of major and minor scales, simple and compound rhythms and intervals, melodic dictation and transposition, recognition of scales).

Examples and suggestions for practice for the Entrance Test are available on the Department of Music website (www.mic.ul.ie) Students are expected to take instrumental lessons either in College or externally.

If you have any other questions please ask :)

Thank you! I've had a look at some sample Music entrance tests, and they seem pretty straight forward. Music courses can be a little daunting I suppose, hard to judge what level they're looking for sometimes. I play 3 instruments and my musical theory is pretty good so hopefully I'll manage.
    What's the college itself like? And the B.Ed course?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Ash_M wrote: »
    What's the college itself like? ?

Up until recently, a bit of a dump really tbh:o. But that's changing. A new gym, Tailteann, was built two years ago. Another new building is under construction now, which should be ready by September. By the time you get here it'll be significantly improved.
    And the B.Ed course?

DISCLAIMER: This is dambarude's opinion and does not proport to be reflective of the general college population!
    Depends on who you're asking really:p. It's pretty hectic, and frustrating at times, but it's worth it if you want the end product. At times it seems like what you're doing in Education subjects are very pointless, and tbh they often are, but they're manageable. I enjoy it, but at times I can feel like pulling my hair out. That might be just me though!

Is it more challenging from a workload or difficulty point of view, if that makes any sort of sense outside my head?

Is it more challenging from a workload or difficulty point of view, if that makes any sort of sense outside my head?

Makes perfect sense. I'd definitely say workload, not difficulty, with regards education modules/subjects at least. That doesn't mean they're a walk in the park, by any means, but if you manage to get the points to get into the B.Ed you'd be fine.

It's different with the Arts subjects. I can only speak for Psychology and Gaeilge. Psychology is difficult enough, but you can only do that through the separate course. Gaeilge, I only did in first year. I really liked it, but I like Irish in general anyway. Your own level of Irish would have a baring on how difficult you find it.

Yeah, I've considered doing Irish, as I speak it at home so it wouldn't be too much trouble, hopefully. Does it negate the need to do Irish as a separate subject in some way or is that something I've got mixed up?

Yeah, I've considered doing Irish, as I speak it at home so it wouldn't be too much trouble, hopefully. Does it negate the need to do Irish as a separate subject in some way or is that something I've got mixed up?

Everyone does Irish as an Arts subject in first year, along with two others. You then continue with one of those in second and third year. If you choose to continue with Irish, you don't need to do Gaeilge Ghairmiúil (professional Irish). If you chose to continue with Music, for example, you would have to do Gaeilge Ghairmiúil

Ah, that makes sense. Who needs Career Guidance teachers when there's Boards :D
    Much appreciated!

It will be interesting to see what is in the new building when it finally opens. No Starbucks thats for certain hehe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Hi everyone,
    I hope to do the b.ed in maryi and just have a few general questions.

Where is the best place to stay in first year? Im a boy so i cant stay on campus wheres the next best spot?

What are the societies and stuff like? Can you join socities in ul aswell?

Whats the general nightlife and craic like in mary i?

And is the boy to girl ratio really that big was talking to a lad and he said theres 5 boys and 55 girls in his class is this the norm or did he get lucky? ;)
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement