Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

leg wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I hope to do the b.ed in maryi and just have a few general questions.
    Hello leg, welcome to boards and to the thread :)
    Where is the best place to stay in first year? Im a boy so i cant stay on campus wheres the next best spot?
    For first years I would suggest courtbrack. It's like a dorm, with a shared kitchen, living room and computer room between about 90 (don't worry they're big :)). The rooms are small, 5 to a corridor with two bathrooms on each corridor. It's what I did in first year and it's a great way to meet a load of new people. I'd hurry up and get a deposit down though, it always books up fast.

EDIT: so if this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, check out (as in google!) ashdown or city campus. Again, you'd want to be getting a deposit in fairly lively :)
    What are the societies and stuff like? Can you join socities in ul aswell?
    You can't join UL ones. I wont lie to you, the society scene in Mary I is sparse at best, most people focus on going out, sports and college work too much for societies. But those three make up for it, which brings us on to.
    Whats the general nightlife and craic like in mary i?
    The craic is what you make of it, I guess, there's some nightclubs if you're into that kind of thing- like trinnity rooms, the icon, molly's. I'm not on expert on those places as they aren't my thing, but baker's and costello's are great for a more alternative scene.[/quote]
    And is the boy to girl ratio really that big was talking to a lad and he said theres 5 boys and 55 girls in his class is this the norm or did he get lucky? ;)
    Yeah, in the B.Ed it's about that I guess, maybe a little less but you quickly get used to it, you wont even know by the end. :)

Ask any other questions you like. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I concur with D4RK ONION, but I know people who lived in Courtbrack who HATED it, so be wary. Different strokes and all that.

Too true DB I've added a bit of extra info in with that in mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

What's like getting from say, Courtbrack/Ashdown, into the city, or up to UL? Distance wise, are there buses, that sort of thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ash_M wrote: »
    What's like getting from say, Courtbrack/Ashdown, into the city, or up to UL? Distance wise, are there buses, that sort of thing.

It's a 15-20 minute walk from Ashdown and Courtbrack into the city centre (depends on how quickly you walk...) If you're going out at night, people tend to split the cost of taxis instead of walking.

Going out to UL, your best bet is to buy a Day-Saver bus ticket for €3.50, and hop on the 304 bus as it comes back in from Raheen/Dooradoyle. That'll bring you to the bottom of Henry Street. Walk 3/4 of the way up William Street for the 308 bus out to UL. Your Day-Saver ticket can be used for the whole day for as many times as is necessary :)
    (the return into town from UL will drop you outside Brown Thomas, where the 304 will head back up O'Connell Street and O'Connell Avenue towards the general direction of Mary I.)

• Advertisement

That sounds do-able then :)
    How far apart are Mary I and UL? A few friends of mine is heading to UL and and there's talk of all living together, but I don't fancy being too far from the college, due to my fondness for sleeping.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

How far apart are Mary I and UL? A few friends of mine is heading to UL and and there's talk of all living together, but I don't fancy being too far from the college, due to my fondness for sleeping.

I'm fairly sure that such an arrangement would be so impractical ye'd all end up going mad. It should only be a 15 minute drive from one college to the other, but with rush-hour traffic in the city you could be looking at 40 minutes of driving from one place to the other (at certain times of the day). I'm from Limerick myself, and I hardly ever see my friends who study in UL.

Yeah I figured it'd end up like that. Rush hour traffic is a phenomenon I'm all to familiar with lately, I'd rather not!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

You can't join UL ones

actually, yes you can.

Mary I technically counts as being part of ul, so you can join.
    Either way, anyone can join a society (including non students)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

A few friends of mine is heading to UL and and there's talk of all living together, but I don't fancy being too far from the college, due to my fondness for sleeping.
    It can be done. I know two people who did it for a year - one in her own car and the other on buses.

To be honest, it's not worth the hassle. I'd advise going to live in a student village. You'll most likely get put in with first years and you'll meet new people really easily that way.

I lived in Ashdown for two years and it was grand. City Campus is in a slightly dodgier area (but there are loads of students around) near the bus station and is known to be more lively than Ashdown on "going out" nights. If you want the craic, go to City Campus, but if you're looking to be able to find quiet when needed, then Ashdown is your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Hey all
    Thanks for all the helpful replies,

Quick question about courtbrack is there just one kitchen between 90?? How does that work if everyone wants to cook there own food or does someone just tend to cook for ten or so? And everyone gets their own room i presume?

Are ashdown and citycampus pretty similar or is one better than the other?

Thanks again

Courtbrack kitchen has 4 ovens and 12 "hobs" and not everyone cooks at the same time, so it actually works out grand. There's also about 10 fridge-freezers and a massive freezer, 2 microwaves, a water machine loads of washing machines for clothes and a big load of tables and chairs. If you're near Limerick I would suggest heading down some weekday to take a look.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    If you're near Limerick I would suggest heading down some weekday to take a look.

Good advice.

Just being a devil's advocate here- I'll tell you what I heard about Courtbrack (from a good source, it's not made up)(that doesn't mean someone here won't disagree with me).

If you're not into going out, it's hellish- there's noise and singing quite often, and the closer you are to the kitchen area, the worse this is when you're trying to sleep. Of course this applies to most student accommodation.

You've to pay to use the washers and driers.

Nobody (or very few at least) does their washing up after them, meaning the place is usually in a tip until the cleaners come the next day.

Apparently your food/drinks are always being robbed. The fact that 90 people share one kitchen means that you can steal stuff fairly anonymously. I'm sure it's innocent enough, but i'd imagine it could get very annoying if your milk is always gone when you go to the fridge.

The key cards are unreliable.

You can only use the wireless internet in the kitchen area, not in the bedrooms. Not good if you're trying to research something on a Tuesday night when everyone's ossified.

I don't have any vendetta against Courtbrack btw- I'm just passing on what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

thanks for the replies again,

That sounds like a big kitchen alright so there should be no problem. I watched the video on the mary i website with Daithi o Shea was that courtbrack that they showed in the video?

I suppose with 90 people sharing a few fridges things are bound to go walking. I cant see the partying being a problem il presume id be one of the people causing the racket :o. The broadband thing sounds abit crap though

Thanks

leg wrote: »
    I watched the video on the mary i website with Daithi o Shea was that courtbrack that they showed in the video?

Yes.

We don't like to talk about that video... *shudders* :p

DB's bad sides are all true and all applied to me, but I still more or less enjoyed the place.

We don't like to talk about that video... *shudders* :p

Do you not like how it gets across how much fun we're having?;):P

Having way too much fun, na na na na na na......

Mighty craic etc.

So I'm thinking boards mini-beers this week lads and ladies, or even just lunch at some stage if people would prefer that. What day would suit people?

Everyone psyched for "Rag week" :P

So I'm thinking boards mini-beers this week lads and ladies, or even just lunch at some stage if people would prefer that. What day would suit people?

Everyone psyched for "Rag week" :P

Sounds cool! Lunch in Scotts whatever day it isn't over-run with revellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

Can anyone tell me how much tickets are for the UV party in Angel Lane weds night and where they can be purchased?

• Advertisement

Are you in Mary I? I believe they a tenner and can be acquired from the SU office.

Might skip Gaeilge today to watch the flash-mob...

I still think that advertising a flash mob goes against the whole concept of a FLASH mob...plus, there will be people there just to watch.

So random limerick people see a big gang of students suddenly arrive, with onlookers...

a flash mob is meant to be unexpected and random.

There is a lurker of this thread in my ped-op! I implore you to join up. JOIN UP!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Is anyone out there doing Liberal Arts out in Mary I. Wondered what the timetable was like? are there many full days??

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

Are you in Mary I? I believe they a tenner and can be acquired from the SU office.
    I'm in UL. Is this supposed to be for Mary I students only or could I purchase tickets as well?

I would imagine that if you knew someone in Mary I and there was tickets left you could get them that way, I think it's Mary I only though. I wouldn't be the authority on the matter though, or on any going out matter!

Maybe someone else here can shed more light? I'll try find out tomorrow anyway for yeah. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Is anyone out there doing Liberal Arts out in Mary I. Wondered what the timetable was like? are there many full days??

I suggest you ask in the Mary I thread stickied at the top of the page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546785

I would imagine that if you knew someone in Mary I and there was tickets left you could get them that way, I think it's Mary I only though. I wouldn't be the authority on the matter though, or on any going out matter!

Maybe someone else here can shed more light? I'll try find out tomorrow anyway for yeah. :)

Well AFAIK you needed College ID when buying a rag pack so...

I'm not a 'going out expert' either though. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Advertisement

You can see the timetables
    here
    I think you do either 3 or 4 subjects, plus a general i.t./academic writing module..You also need to factor in about 1-2 hours of tutorials per arts subject.

The arts crowd have a few hours, but nothing like the 28 odd hours b.eds have..
    Can anyone tell me how much tickets are for the UV party in Angel Lane weds night and where they can be purchased
    They can be purchased from the students' union. Either get someone in mary i to get them for you, or else give a wander in yourself. The Id thing shouldn't be an issue because they hadn't sold all the tickets yet, so they will be trying their best to shift them. I would nearly think a few will be available on the door on the night..

There is a lurker of this thread in my ped-op! I implore you to join up. JOIN UP!
    I already told this individual that (s)he should join too.
    boards mini-beers
    when and where?

(Sorry for super long post)

Advertisement