Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

That doesn't sound right to me, you should surely have gotten something by now. I'm guessing that the forms you need for paying registration would be in the orientation pack, they used to be anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

lighthouse wrote: »
    No harm at all to check it out. That's what life is all about. However in my opinion I always thought it was a bit of a kip.

It's not flashy like other establishments around but for charm, music, and fine company it wont be beaten.. especially if you have decent taste in music. (indie, electo, Alt) However anyone over 50 may not apppreciate its charms. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Vanolder wrote: »
    However anyone over 50 may not apppreciate its charms. :P

Not quite sure what relevance age is here.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

dambarude wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right to me, you should surely have gotten something by now. I'm guessing that the forms you need for paying registration would be in the orientation pack, they used to be anyway.

That's what I thought, guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go in. Does seem strange to me though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 flanagan2k10

RonMexico wrote: »
    Probably not but I would still try and go just to meet people, you would be surprised at how quick everyone gets to know each other. There might be things in orientation week that you don't know about already, I can't remember everything that goes on myself, my orientation is a distant blur hehe.

im still waiting for the second round but i hope to meet people asap when and if i get in .. im looking forward to it ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

RibenaHead wrote: »
    RE: Costello's

That's true. It's a complete kip... all part of its charm! :)

They've replaced the carpets in there, probably for the first time ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

I think I'm in the same boat as you D4RK. I'm so jealous of these new first years just starting all over again.
    hey, you are more than welcome to do all my work for me, no prob.

hey, you are more than welcome to do all my work for me, no prob.

Hi new first year. I hope you have a wonderful time in Mary I. If you are doing the B Ed it's a tough course but it's manageable. Enjoy yourself.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kiddd

What are the best subjects to pick for b.ed, and how do we go about choosing our subjects:confused:

kiddd wrote: »
    What are the best subjects to pick for b.ed, and how do we go about choosing our subjects:confused:

That depends on entirely on you and where your interests and abilities lie.

Something you should be aware of is that if you choose Irish as an Arts subject, and continue with it in 2nd and 3rd year, you won't have to do the Gaeilge Ghairmiúil course. Similarly, if you choose Religion and Theology, you won't have to do the Cert in RE course in 2nd and 3rd year.

The subjects you liked in the Leaving Cert should be your starting point in deciding. Make sure to talk to the relevant people during orientation too.

• Advertisement

That depends on entirely on you and where your interests and abilities lie.

Something you should be aware of is that if you choose Irish as an Arts subject, and continue with it in 2nd and 3rd year, you won't have to do the Gaeilge Ghairmiúil course. Similarly, if you choose Religion and Theology, you won't have to do the Cert in RE course in 2nd and 3rd year.

The subjects you liked in the Leaving Cert should be your starting point in deciding. Make sure to talk to the relevant people during orientation too.

I'd have to agree with Dambarude here. A lot of B Ed students choose Irish because they feel it will help them get a job later. Then again you hear stories about the perceived "easiness" of certain subjects over others. I cite History, I didn't do it myself but a lot of my friends choose it, but then if you don't have an interest in a subject it can be tedious.

tedious.

Good choice of adjective lighthouse! Try and pick subjects that you will enjoy. Otherwise, you'll probably get by with them, but they'll bore you and ANNOY you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 parabola_89

Try and pick subjects that you will enjoy. Otherwise, you'll probably get by with them, but they'll bore you and ANNOY you.

And remember - the subject you choose will be the one you're stuck with for three/four years! If you don't like it, it will get on your nerves EVERY time you have to study, write essays or go to tutorials! This is coming from personal experience... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

It's mine in about 3 weeks in punches. Is there anyone else going? Were they well attended in other years?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Anyone know what the story is with 2nd year BA students starting monday? Do we go in as our timetable is on the website?

Freiheit wrote: »
    It's mine in about 3 weeks in punches. Is there anyone else going? Were they well attended in other years?
    Most of the posters here are either current students, or recent graduates, so I don't know if you'll get a thorough answer here.
    Anyone know what the story is with 2nd year BA students starting monday? Do we go in as our timetable is on the website?

Yes. There's no fancy welcoming party for you this year unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Freiheit wrote: »
    For what graduation year was it?

got my place in mary i this morning liberal arts!!:D such a relief but ive missed orientation and that obviously so what to do from here? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

got my place in mary i this morning liberal arts!!:D such a relief but ive missed orientation and that obviously so what to do from here? :(

Actually, as far as I know the Arts students register and get a tour of the College today.... drop into the students Union anyway. Get a time table and a freshers pack and someone can give you the info you need about subjects etc.

Best of luck with it all.

ya i rang and they told me drop in between 2 and 4 to talk to lillian so maybe they might do something then.. if not il be around monday anyway to meet with someone from student services!

• Advertisement

If anybody wants to watch Mary McAleese present the McAuley medal to Imogen Stuart they can do so here[@4.20].

I'm not supportive of the college spending thousands on her religious artwork, but I'm going to watch all the same.

If anybody wants to watch Mary McAleese present the McAuley medal to Imogen Stuart they can do so here[@4.20].

He he. I was there in person, even got my pictute taken with her. Pics. will be in the usual spot tomorrow :D

He he. I was there in person, even got my pictute taken with her. Pics. will be in the usual spot tomorrow :D

She seemed pleasant in the video stream, she didn't do an Axl Rose on it at least:p. (Ron Mexico never gave us an account of that on this thread:D).

The internet streaming was an epic fail though. The player had no option of changing the video quality, so even though I have broadband (admittedly only 1MB) I couldn't watch it without its pausing and jumping. There was no sound for the first few minutes. The sound that came after that wasn't delivered from the main microphones, but rather from a mic that was miles away from the stage, so you could hardly hear it. That said, I don't know why I bothered trying to watch it in the first place!

The new theatre looked well in it.

She seemed pleasant in the video stream, she didn't do an Axl Rose on it at least:p. (Ron Mexico never gave us an account of that on this thread:D).

The internet streaming was an epic fail though. The player had no option of changing the video quality, so even though I have broadband (admittedly only 1MB) I couldn't watch it without its pausing and jumping. There was no sound for the first few minutes. The sound that came after that wasn't delivered from the main microphones, but rather from a mic that was miles away from the stage, so you could hardly hear it. That said, I don't know why I bothered trying to watch it in the first place!

The new theatre looked well in it.

Interesting what you are saying about the streaming. This is obviously the first time a system like this would have been used.
    Interesting what you say also about the sound. There was a guy to the right of the stage with a microphone on a pole holding it up to the speaker :mad:
    On the big screen behind the people on the stage peoples lips weren't in synch with the sound if you know what I mean.
    The new theatre is quite impressive allright.
    BTW I'll have the pics up in about half an hour if you are interested.;)

Interesting what you are saying about the streaming. This is obviously the first time a system like this would have been used.
    I'm not sure about that, I think they streamed the graduation last year. They'd want to sort it out though, what you're saying about the speaker and microphone is incredibly amateurish (though it does sound hilarious!).

I was in Teamhair last week briefly. It makes such a big difference to the college, it felt like I was in a different place.

I was in Teamhair last week briefly. It makes such a big difference to the college, it felt like I was in a different place.

That is exactly what I felt today. Only for I knew so many people I'd have definitely thought it was a different College.
    Top marks to the SU, they had plenty of stewards to help someone like myself who felt lost in the place. :p

Top marks to the SU, they had plenty of stewards to help someone like myself who felt lost in the place. :p

I'm continually surprised at how helpful the new SU are, be it answering questions here or updating TVmisu. Fair dues to them.

Teamhair seems much bigger in reality than it did in the video tour. I really like the enclosed area between LG9, and the new building, where the tree is.

I'm continually surprised at how helpful the new SU are, be it answering questions here or updating TVmisu. Fair dues to them.

Couldn't have put it better myself although best not to praise them too much. We still want them (or rather their heads) to be able to go through the SU Office doors :rolleyes:

Couldn't have put it better myself although best not to praise them too much. We still want them (or rather their heads) to be able to go through the SU Office doors :rolleyes:

Well as long as they don't do a Barack Obama on it and turn into a flop in a few weeks time:D. Only joshing, I know that won't happen. Start as you mean to go on and all that. (I'm conscious that they'll be reading this, they're terrible really:p)

• Advertisement

(I'm conscious that they'll be reading this, they're terrible really:p)

No flies on them I'm telling you, or if there are they are paying rent :D

Advertisement