Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

dambarude wrote: »
    I can see how that would remind you of a church alright. Come to think of it, there is a pretty fancy wooden crucifix in the building too:p.

Unless you are a vampire there is nothing to worry about:D

We had Tommy Tiernan for freshers week, unsurprisingly he noticed the whole religious thing in the college.

The very first thing he asked the audience was whether we had nuns teaching us or not. People literally had their hands over their face, afraid as to where he was going with this, as certain well known nuns from Mary I were near the front of the audience (I couldn't believe it :eek:)

So out he comes with it - "Nuns yeah...did ye ever notice the way they move without making a sound, you don't notice them at all really, that is...

...until you turn around and BAM there they are all dressed in black tryin to convert you to the dark side like Darth Fcukin Vader.":D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Tragedy wrote: »
    Buy an Epson in Tesco at the Crescent.

They have SX115, 215 and 415 for very reasonable prices and all are printer/copiers/scanners - and replacement ink can be gotten cheaply on amazon if you're that way inclined.

I personally don't like Epson printers, but the particular one you mention might be good if you've used it.

I notice that 2nd B.Eds have to do their art journals as a powerpoint presentation rather than a physical portfolio this semester. If there are any of you reading, you don't know how lucky you are! I spent much moola on ink, paper, and hardback folios last year, as well as hours on end chopping and glueing.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Unless you are a vampire there is nothing to worry about:D

We had Tommy Tiernan for freshers week, unsurprisingly he noticed the whole religious thing in the college.

The very first thing he asked the audience was whether we had nuns teaching us or not. People literally had their hands over their face, afraid as to where he was going with this, as certain well known nuns from Mary I were near the front of the audience (I couldn't believe it :eek:)

So out he comes with it - "Nuns yeah...did ye ever notice the way they move without making a sound, you don't notice them at all really, that is...

...until you turn around and BAM there they are all dressed in black tryin to convert you to the dark side like Darth Fcukin Vader.":D:D

:D

Sounds awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I have a 415, other than the paper feeder being noisy it's grand. Friend got the 115(cheapest!) and no bother yet.

Bought 3 sets of these too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002WHLD46/ref=oss_product
    Again, work perfectly :)

This is getting ridiculous! We need a forum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

How do we actually go about requesting one?

Well Insect Overlord seems to be doing something about it. There is a forum you can go to if you want to request it, here, but I don't know if you can just start a thread on it or if you need approval beforehand. The thread seems to be getting a few new users (one at least) every week the last while.

I'm sure there are others just viewing who aren't posting. If there are, JOIN THE SITE AND START POSTING!!! The more posters the more chance we'll get a forum!

EDIT: just checked, it seems we can just start a thread, but I wouldn't do anything until Insect or Onion give more advice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

▲▲▲▲▲ Makes a lot of sense.
    Especially if doing the B.Ed.

Printers are almost essential if you're a B. Ed. Trust me, you CANNOT rely on college computers when you realise that you'll be printing out lesson plans and resources at 2am the night before going in to class!

Lidl also have good deals on printers from time to time. And any B. Ed. starting off, there are laminators in Tesco for 20quid. It's not that much to spend but it's a sound investment - automatically makes resources look more professional!

Apologies for the double post. We definitely need a forum of our own. This is getting awfully confusing!
    I'm sure there are others just viewing who aren't posting. If there are, JOIN THE SITE AND START POSTING!!! The more posters the more chance we'll get a forum!

I'm looking at you, PAULA!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kiddd

Can anybody give me the complete idiots guide on how to access the LAN, i've been trying all evining:confused:

kiddd wrote: »
    Can anybody give me the complete idiots guide on how to access the LAN, i've been trying all evining:confused:

Some people couldn't access the LAN this week, whether they were entering their codes correctly or not. But here are the steps anyway:

1.) Go to www.lan.mic.ul.ie.
    2.) In the dialog box that pops up, enter your name as the username, the same as you do in the college (ie. brian.cowen). Don't forget your middle initial if it applies to you (ie george.w.bush). This works for me, but misu.ie says you must put micstudent\ before your name as well.
    3.) Enter the password you use to access the college computers.

If this doesn't work there's some problem with your account, you'll have to get onto IT services on Monday.

Any other questions, pop them up.

EDIT: Instead of double posting (again) I'll just edit this in.

I hate to be pedantic, but I think one thing about students' email addresses on this MISU page is wrong. Student emails are in the format xxxxx.xxxxx@micstudent.mic.ul.ie., not the format listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

i'm looking at you, PAULA!!!

I was looking at her when she read that...not impressed :P
    The naked blockwork and wood.
    I quite like the new building! Particularly all the bright primary colours around the place. The student centre (siopa, su, lounge, bank, central forum) is really nice and a badly needed addition to the college!

IT is always a shambles in the college, but to be fair they are doing their best to fix everything.
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable moment before home TP when the lecturers tell us that everything is on Moodle and everyone should have a moodle account set up from senior tp; with the exception of the psychs who will be left to sort things ourselves!

Also, does anyone know how to access ejournals from home? My new and old username and password won't log me into the ul library resources.
    Stupid FYP ruining my life already!

Also, does anyone know how to access ejournals from home? My new and old username and password won't log me into the ul library resources.
    Stupid FYP ruining my life already!

If you go into Psycarticles through the UL library website (as opposed to through the Mary I one with your own codes) there is a specific username and password you can use, do you know it? Let me know and I'll pm it to you.
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable moment before home TP when the lecturers tell us that everything is on Moodle and everyone should have a moodle account set up from senior tp; with the exception of the psychs who will be left to sort things ourselves!

Sounds exactly like something that would happen unfortunately.

I went to this link: access resources off campus
    what username and password should I be using?
    micstudent/name.surname
    doesn't work!

The student centre (siopa, su, lounge, bank, central forum) is really nice and a badly needed addition to the college!
    Indeed! I found it a bit of a missed opportunity that there was no seating out front though - I know we don't get great weather, but when we do it'd be nice.

I went to this link: access resources off campus
    what username and password should I be using?
    micstudent/name.surname
    doesn't work!

I'm sending you a pm now- I don't know whether the pass code I've been told is public knowledge or not!

Go to http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Library/Databases/Library_Databases_(P)and click on psycarticles (I'm guessing that's what you want?) and use the codes I'm about to pm you, hopefully it will work.

EDIT: that link doesn't work, try this: http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Library/Databases/

Thanks!!!

I no longer have an excuse for finding articles now!

This is the kind of info that should really be a sticky in a mary i forum

Indeed! I found it a bit of a missed opportunity that there was no seating out front though - I know we don't get great weather, but when we do it'd be nice.

Good point. I'm guessing that area will get a lot of use during rag week, the lounge's doors open out onto it. The Lounge isn't particularly big.

Speaking of, I hope RAG week is week 5 at the earliest this year so I can get this damn FYP out of the way before it. Wonder if talks of a UL/LIT/Mary I RAG "festival" day will take over. Personally, I'd prefer the old format! Did the job just fine for three years!! :)

• Advertisement

Would any of the FYPers like to share the broad area of psychology(or anyother subjects if there's somebody here) they're doing their FYP on? I'm guessing that for various reasons you can't tell us specific titles.

Sure thing! I'm doing mine on creativity. I'm sure we can reveal our titles in time but, as of now, I don't have a definite research question decided upon!

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

I hate to be pedantic, but I think one thing about students' email addresses on this MISU page is wrong. Student emails are in the format xxxxx.xxxxx@micstudent.mic.ul.ie., not the format listed.

Sorry, that was a typo on our behalf. Thanks for pointing it out! It has been corrected. :)

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

We've been told that seating has been ordered for the front, outside of the Central so we just have to wait for it to arrive. You're right though, when the weather picks up, it'll be a nice area to sit out in.

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Sure thing! I'm doing mine on creativity. I'm sure we can reveal our titles in time but, as of now, I don't have a definite research question decided upon!

Sounds interesting, good luck with it!
    Sorry, that was a typo on our behalf. Thanks for pointing it out! It has been corrected. :)

You're welcome! There'll always be somebody to catch you out help you along;).
    We've been told that seating has been ordered for the front, outside of the Central so we just have to wait for it to arrive. You're right though, when the weather picks up, it'll be a nice area to sit out in.
    Sounds good. I found it hard to imagine how the central area would be used when I saw the first mocked up pictures of it, but seeing everybody in the area during the week really showed how good it is to have. It will be invaluable for 2nd yr B.Eds when all their groupwork starts, I found there was never really anywhere to meet last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 xxcocochanelxx

whats the password to get on to the lan? Is it 's*p*e*b*r*0*0' by any chance cause thats the one i use to get on to the mary i computers..ye know what i meaannnnn!! and what is the proper username that we're meant to use? is it just MICstudent or Micsudent\pog.mothoin for example?? gawwwdd mary lecturers are so unclear!! :mad:

whats the password to get on to the lan? Is it 's*p*e*b*r*0*0' by any chance cause thats the one i use to get on to the mary i computers..ye know what i meaannnnn!! and what is the proper username that we're meant to use? is it just MICstudent or Micsudent\pog.mothoin for example?? gawwwdd mary lecturers are so unclear!! :mad:

The username your supposed to use is micstudent\firstname.lastname and the password should be the one you use to access the college computers. There seems to be some problem with it.

The password you mention is probably one that the IT staff have been giving to people who can't get proper access, but it's not one you'd use long term. Get on to one of the staff in the IT lab about it on Monday if you still can't get in.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Well Insect Overlord seems to be doing something about it. There is a forum you can go to if you want to request it, here, but I don't know if you can just start a thread on it or if you need approval beforehand. The thread seems to be getting a few new users (one at least) every week the last while.

EDIT: just checked, it seems we can just start a thread, but I wouldn't do anything until Insect or Onion give more advice about it.

Leave it with Insect and I, we're in the middle of talking to an admin about it. We'll say no more til we know more :)

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Leave it with Insect and I,

Ooh, fancy teacher grammar!

That's good to hear, thanks Onion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Just wondering has the 1st years Arts started yet?

Advertisement