Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Oh come now, I think what you meant to say was "HOLY ****, WHAT TALENT!!"

:D

Okay, you got me! That's exactly what I was really thinking.

You and I should do lunch.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Can anyone offer me any constructive critisism? I think it needs MOAR lensflare, I'm now sure though.

**Please note, although I've asked ye to tell me what ye think is wrong, I will take all suggestions as insults and be incredibly defensive about my work.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

We are pleased to announce the arrival of a snazzy new pool table to our Student Lounge as well as the advent of a vintage games machine. Pool cost €1 per game and the games machine is 50cent per play. Get you Game On! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Faust1

Like what the hell is that all about? the lad beside just had a 5 min chat with his friend! The girl beside him threw him a look when he hung up and he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'ya'.

It's so annoying! Typical first years!!! GRRRR :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

We are pleased to announce the arrival of a snazzy new pool table to our Student Lounge as well as the advent of a vintage games machine. Pool cost €1 per game and the games machine is 50cent per play. Get you Game On! :)

Get a jukebox like the one they have in the UL lounge and ye'll be flying it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Faust1 wrote: »
    Like what the hell is that all about? the lad beside just had a 5 min chat with his friend! The girl beside him threw him a look when he hung up and he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'ya'.

It's so annoying! Typical first years!!! GRRRR :mad:
    In fairness, it's not just first years. Also, hit him a slap report him next time. Simple as. No point giving out about it here if you aren't going to take action, innit?
    Get a jukebox like the one they have in the UL lounge and ye'll be flying it :)
    Unless it's filled with classic 80s rock and similar cheese, I wouldn't bother :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Is there an E-Mail address for Clubs and Socs in Mary I? I looked on the website and there wasent any, Not even for the SU its self, I am looking to get in touch with the Cumann Gaelach there, Any help would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The SU usually reply to posts on here pretty quickly. Surprised there's no contact details for the office though.

If you do get in contact with an Cumann Gaelach, can you post back here about it? That's one society I really should get involved with this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MIC Library

Hello Faust1
    I can appreciate your annoyance. I think some people don't know about the no talking on phones in the library rule so we're looking at ways to inform them. We've been looking at traffic patterns and usage of library space since changing the layout over the summer. We are working on making 3 silent zones, one in the philosophy room, one upstairs to the right of the door and one upstairs to the left of the desk. We're getting some of those upright banner stands to mark these out and encourage silence\quiet, no phones, no eating. We'll also use the banners to mark out areas in the library building foyer for group study. You're welcome to drop down and talk to me anytime - I'm on the ground floor of the library - Gerardine

The SU usually reply to posts on here pretty quickly. Surprised there's no contact details for the office though.

If you do get in contact with an Cumann Gaelach, can you post back here about it? That's one society I really should get involved with this year!

There is a phone number, But that was just annoying at 2 o'clock last night when I finally got around to looking them up. I find E-Mail much more usefull for getting in contact with people,:(

An Bhfuill Gaeilge agut?:)

• Advertisement

There is a phone number, But that was just annoying at 2 o'clock last night when I finally got around to looking them up. I find E-Mail much more usefull for getting in contact with people,:(

Morning deise go deo,

As you point out the SU contact numbers are all on the website. The general number is at the bottom of the homepage and if you go into MISU team you will find numbers for everyone.

There is no direct email for the Clubs & Socs officers but if you email either Mairead or myself we pass it on to the officers.

In relation to Clubs & Socs contacts, not all Clubs & Socs have handed in their registration forms so we don't have the contacts for all Clubs & Socs but I have now uploaded what contact details have been handed in and they can be found here. You'll be glad to hear there are details for An Cumann Gaelach.

Hope this is sufficient. If not, just email the SU instead.

Noel

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hello Faust1
    I can appreciate your annoyance. I think some people don't know about the no talking on phones in the library rule so we're looking at ways to inform them. We've been looking at traffic patterns and usage of library space since changing the layout over the summer. We are working on making 3 silent zones, one in the philosophy room, one upstairs to the right of the door and one upstairs to the left of the desk. We're getting some of those upright banner stands to mark these out and encourage silence\quiet, no phones, no eating. We'll also use the banners to mark out areas in the library building foyer for group study. You're welcome to drop down and talk to me anytime - I'm on the ground floor of the library - Gerardine

Great to see you posting here!

Tá MA sa Ghaeilge á dhéanamh agam i mbliana, is mar sin tá súil agam go bhfuil roinnt Gaeilge ar eolas agam! :D Cad fút féin? :)

Also, +1 on dambarude's comment, it's fantastic to see college reps replying to queries like this. I wouldn't have imagined that ever happening when I started in the college 3 years ago.

Tá MA sa Ghaeilge á dhéanamh agam i mbliana, is mar sin tá súil agam go bhfuil roinnt Gaeilge ar eolas agam! :D Cad fút féin? :)

Beidh gá le thread do chomhrá Gaeilge amháin nuair a bheidh ár bhforum féin againn!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

dambarude wrote: »
    Beidh gá le thread do chomhrá Gaeilge amháin nuair a bheidh ár bhforum féin againn!

Bhuel, tá súil agam go mbeidh go luath!

Tá Gaeilge agam, Tá mé sa Cumann Gaelach in OL, Go n-eirí leat leis an cursa.:)
    I have Irish, I am in the Irish Society in UL, good luck with your course.

Sin deas, Ar a laghad tá tú sásta é a bhreithniú. Ar an drochuair, is é sin an snáithe Gaeilge amháin in aghaidh na rialacha na Bords. Bhí mé ag iarraidh a fháil ar rud éigin den chineál céanna i bhfóram an pholaitíocht Thuaisceart Éireann agus le riarachán dúirt sé liom go raibh sé indéanta agus ní bheadh a cheadú. I gcás aon phost Gaeilge mar caithfear aistriúchán a chur ar fáil.
    Thats great, at least you are willing to conceder the idea. Unfortunately, such an Irish only thread is against the rules of boards. I was trying to get something similar in the northern ireland politics forum and an admin told me it was impracticable and would not be allowed. For any post as Gaeilge a translation must be provided.

Tá fóram againn ar son gnáthchainte Gaeilge freisin.
    Sin Teach na nGealt. Ba bhreá linn go mbeadh méad níos airde ag baint úsáid as an bhfóram sin, ach níl um nóiméad. B'fhéidir go bhfuil gá le feachtas éigin chun ard a dhíriú air...

We have a forum for general chat in Irish too, Teach na nGealt. We'd like if there were more who used it, but they don't at the moment. Maybe we need a campaign of some sort to raise awareness of it...

Tá fóram againn ar son gnáthchainte Gaeilge freisin.
    Sin Teach na nGealt. Ba bhreá linn go mbeadh méad níos airde ag baint úsáid as an bhfóram sin, ach níl um nóiméad. B'fhéidir go bhfuil gá le feachtas éigin chun ard a dhíriú air...

We have a forum for general chat in Irish too, Teach na nGealt. We'd like if there were more who used it, but they don't at the moment. Maybe we need a campaign of some sort to raise awareness of it...

Tá a fhios agam, iar mé in ann anois agus arís eile, Tá sé deas ann, d'fhéadfadh B'fhéidir pictiúr a dhéanamh maidir le TnaG agus d'fhéadfadh daoine a bhfuil nasc chun é sa sig., a cheapann an luchta ar bhealach ar bith eile a chur chun cinn le fóram
    I know, I post in there now and again, Its nice there, Maybe a picture could be made for TnaG and people could have a link to it in their sig, Cant think of any other way to promote a forum.

Ní raibh a fhios agam go raibh gá le chuile fhocal a aistriú!
    I didn't know every word had to be translated!

'Sé an rud a bhí ag teastáil uaim ná thread do chomhrá a bhaineann le CMGS, ní thread do chomhrá ginearaltá in áit éigin eile.
    What I wanted was a thread for Mary I, not a thread for general chit chat somewhere else.

'Sí an fhadhb le Teach na nGealt ná nach bhfuil aon fhocás cainte ann, tá sé ag iarraidh bheith ina After Hours Gaeilge. Níl mórán daoine ann, agus na daoine atá ann níl aon rud le rá acu! Le thread Gaeilge i bhforam CMGS is dóigh go mbeadh focás de chineál éigin ann.
    The problem with Teach na nGealt is that it has no talking focus, it's trying to be a Gaeilge After Hours. There aren't many people there, and the ones that are haven't got anything to say! With an Irish thread in a MIC forum I think there would be some sort of focus.

Ní raibh a fhios agam go raibh gá le chuile fhocal a aistriú!
    I didn't know every word had to be translated!

'Sé an rud a bhí ag teastáil uaim ná thread do chomhrá a bhaineann le CMGS, ní thread do chomhrá ginearaltá in áit éigin eile.
    What I wanted was a thread for Mary I, not a thread for general chit chat somewhere else.

'Sí an fhadhb le Teach na nGealt ná nach bhfuil aon fhocás cainte ann, tá sé ag iarraidh bheith ina After Hours Gaeilge. Níl mórán daoine ann, agus na daoine atá ann níl aon rud le rá acu! Le thread Gaeilge i bhforam CMGS is dóigh go mbeadh focás de chineál éigin ann.
    The problem with Teach na nGealt is that it has no talking focus, it's trying to be a Gaeilge After Hours. There aren't many people there, and the ones that are haven't got anything to say! With an Irish thread in a MIC forum I think there would be some sort of focus.

Is é sin a dúradh liom, fós, dáileog chiallaíonn nach féidir leat a iarraidh ar chead, Má fheiceann siad leas an bhfuil aon chúis nach féidir liom a fheiceáil dóibh é nach bhfuil a éascú
    That is what I was told, still, dosent mean you cant ask for permission, If they see the interest there is no reason that I can see for them not to faciltate it.

• Advertisement

Má fhaighimid mod le Gaeilge ar a t(h)oil aige/aici ní bheadh aon chúis ag na hadmins bac a chur ar snáith/thread Gaeilge.

Má fhaighimid mod le Gaeilge ar a t(h)oil aige/aici ní bheadh aon chúis ag na hadmins bac a chur ar snáith/thread Gaeilge.

Táim dóchasach, Bheadh sé deas go bhfuil an snáithe tiomanta do labhairt trí mheán na Gaeilge.
    Hopefully, It would be nice to have a thread dedicated to Irish.

Cuir teachtaireacht isteach sa snáith i Forum Requests agus cuirfidh sé go mó leis an bhfeachtas ar son and MICL Forum :)

Leave a post in the thread in Forum Requests and it'd add more weight to our campaign for the MICL Forum

Déanta.:)

The MARY I FACTOR is on in Dolans Warehouse tonight folks!

Tickets are just €5 and can be bought on the door. All sales go to the RAG Week Fund. There are currently 8 acts performing which will be narrowed to 3 by public vote and then the overall winner will be chosen by our panel of judges.

If nothing else, it should be a great nights entertainment so spread the word!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

First the student services office schedules exam during B.Ed Psychs' study week (14). So the timetable had to be redone.

And now what have they gone and done? Schedule our exams so we have to sit TWO EXAMS AT THE SAME TIME!

Unbelievable:mad:

They better get it third time lucky:mad:

Be careful that you keep checking the exam timetable, because the one that's been put up on misu.ie will have to be changed again (unless they invent a cloning machine by December :rolleyes: )

First the student services office schedules exam during B.Ed Psychs' study week (14). So the timetable had to be redone.

They did the same with us last year. They scheduled an exam on one of the TP make-up days. I had to very clearly point out: if we are sick on TP we CANNOT sit this exam. Took a while but we got it changed!

Hope the initial visit went well for you today, Dambarude!

It's funny, now that I'm on home TP, all of the other TPs seem like a doddle in comparison. I can't believe we taught half the lessons for half the length of time. Weird how perspectives change!

RibenaHead wrote: »
    They did the same with us last year. They scheduled an exam on one of the TP make-up days. I had to very clearly point out: if we are sick on TP we CANNOT sit this exam. Took a while but we got it changed!
    When everything settles down in January I'm going to be writing a strongly worded letter! The amount of cockups that happen in relation to the B.Ed Psychology course is unbelievable. Run the course right, or don't run it all like. If it wasn't for the amount of complaining we have to do we'd never have exams scheduled, lecturers wouldn't know when we're on TP and when we're not, and we'd be forgotten every time the B.Eds/BAs are given a notice. Talk about falling through the gaps!
    Hope the initial visit went well for you today, Dambarude!
    It did!
    It's funny, now that I'm on home TP, all of the other TPs seem like a doddle in comparison. I can't believe we taught half the lessons for half the length of time. Weird how perspectives change!
    Don't say that!

The amount of cockups that happen in relation to the B.Ed Psychology course is unbelievable.

Yup! One of my classmates rang the education office with a query about TP and the lady there didn't realise that we are on TP to! I shouldn't even be surprised at this stage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

ne of my classmates rang the education office with a query about TP and the lady there didn't realise that we are on TP to

That would be me.

I rang about an absence
    tp lady: "b.ed 3 I presume"
    me: no, b.ed and psych 4
    tp lady: oh when do you start tp
    me: I'm currently on tp, thats why I'm ringing about an absence.
    tp lady: oh right, I didn't think b.ed psych 4 had tp in 4th year.
    me: well we do!

The "notes to students" pdf on moodle states that we need to fill in an absence report form for any days missed on TP. Neither my supervisor, or the tp lady mentioned this or seemed aware of it. I emailed Neil O'C and he said he'd put it up on moodle during the week.

Surely the tp office should all know who is out on tp at any time, and know what docs and forms we need to fill in!!

Advertisement