Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Fitz1011, I just sent you a PM with information about the college and accomodation. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I've said my piece on Courtbrack here (page 51 of this messy messy thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

dambarude wrote: »
    I've said my piece on Courtbrack here (page 51 of this messy messy thread).

I've got a brand new suggestion:
    Why don't we get a sub-forum of our own?

RibenaHead wrote: »
    I've got a brand new suggestion:
    Why don't we get a sub-forum of our own?

You mean a subforum of UL?

NO! NO! NO!

We've discussed it before somewhere or other, or somebody has said it at least- the link between Mary I and UL is tenuous at best.

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted your suggestion btw:D

dambarude wrote: »
    We've discussed it before somewhere or other, or somebody has said it at least- the link between Mary I and UL is tenuous at best. D

I don't recall and I CAN'T FIND IT CAUSE THIS THREAD IS TOO BIG!!

• Advertisement

LOUD NOISES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Lads, any help with referencing?

I've an essay using the same book numerous times (It's a novel).

I want to reference it in text. I know I put in (Author, year, page number) but do I have to do this every time I take a quote from the book?

I want to reference it in text. I know I put in (Author, year, page number) but do I have to do this every time I take a quote from the book?

Yes!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lads.

Using the computer rooms in the morning is great craic altogether.
    None of the 1st Years know how to print off files from CDs, and one of them didn't even know how to get her disk back out of the drive. This is great! :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Tell them the need to right click the disk and select the "format disc" option. That should allow them access to everthing. Failing that, they should take a magnet and guide it over the disc for about 5 minutes. :D

Note to n00bs: Don't actually do this for the love of FSM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Yeah you do afaik. You should look up that 'Cite it right' handbook on the LAN. It tells you how to do all that cobblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

what about (ibid)
    The lsu guy said that if you have the same reference 3 in a row or so, then use (ibid) for any consecutive identical references.

Check cite it right though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Yes do it every time. Is that the 2nd Year English essay worth 60%? :)
    what about (ibid)
    The lsu guy said that if you have the same reference 3 in a row or so, then use (ibid) for any consecutive identical references.

Check cite it right though!

Not when using the Harvard Referencing Style. See below for an example.

The following Latin terms do not form part of the Harvard system of referencing. However, it is useful to understand them when reading work by authors using a different referencing system.

Ibid.

This is an abbreviation of the Latin term ‘ibidem’ meaning ‘in the same place’. It is used as a ditto instead of repeating the previous reference:

Hayes, K. 1998. Skilled interpersonal communication. London: Sage.
    Ibid., p.666.
    Ibid., p.723.

Also applies to op.cit. , Sine loco & Sine nomine.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishharper

Wouldnt mind if it was the only assignment I've due in this week but of course it's not lol,oh to be a first year again!!

Wouldnt mind if it was the only assignment I've due in this week but of course it's not lol,oh to be a first year again!!

Which one's that on? English is great craic altogether. I like the part where I did well in it and didn't read anything.

/sees RonMexico

I READ EVERYTHING!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Which one's that on? English is great craic altogether. I like the part where I did well in it and didn't read anything.

/sees RonMexico

I READ EVERYTHING!

:D:D:D

On an unrelated matter it would be great to have a Mary I boards beers before the entire country goes up in flames.

Consider it a "bail out" for Flan Costello:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Best idea I've heard all day!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishharper

D4RK ONION wrote: »

/sees RonMexico

I READ EVERYTHING!

It's on the novel .we had the drama essay but that was submitted two weeks ago long days journey and beauty queen!
    This one is catcher in the rye and paddy clarke!brilliant books so it makes it easier to engage with the questions I think...hope!

Ah jaysus, that's the easiest essay of the lot (for the reasons you stated). Loved both those books, I really did read those ones!

Also YUUUUUS to boards beers! I wish we had our own forum to make a thread for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Not when using the Harvard Referencing Style. See below for an example.

Ah, see I've been using apa referencing!
    Thanks for clearing that up

• Advertisement

To all B. Ed. 3s, B. Ed. 4s and whoever else was on home TP:

WE DID IT!!! (nearly!)

Hope the senior TP is going well for 3rd year B. Ed. Psychs and grads!

Congratulations to all those who survived TP4725!

TBH I don't know how anybody can do lesson plans for the full day for 4/5 weeks, so hats off to ye lads.

On another note entirely, I was in the college for the first time in a week this evening. I have to say that they've put up the tackiest looking christmas trees I've seen in a long time. 3 out of 10. If you're going to put the decorations up this early, at least do it right!

There is one tree in the library reception that looks...odd. No decorations hanging on it, just some lights. Bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

What's the story with the Mary I forum, is it going to happen, or are the powers that be going to ignore it and hope it goes away???

There won't be any new forums made across the site until a number of lingering problems have been dealt with. Read here in the FeedForward Forum for more details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056067242

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does anyone know if this "MIC 2010-2016 Masterplan" is available to the public?

As a student, it'd be interesting to see the plans for the campus over the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Does anyone know if this "MIC 2010-2016 Masterplan" is available to the public?

As a student, it'd be interesting to see the plans for the campus over the next 5 years.

Is this what you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

One of the girls has moved out of our house after dropping from her course so we are looking for a new tenant! The house is situated 10 minute walk from the college, just off O' Connell Avenue on St. Joseph's Street. It's a really lovely house, there are all mod cons, a microwave, oven, tumbler dryer, washing machine and line, television with the channels, a dvd player, wireless broadband and central heating as well an electric fire and rent is just 220 a month. There is also ample parking outside the house and is a very safe area. The other girls in the house are friendly and it is very homely. I'll put the link for the the daft.ie advertisment up here so ye can see pictures of the house, tell your friends if their looking too!:D

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=609113

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

Anyone know how to access jstor from computers in college? Cheers

• Advertisement

Advertisement