Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

dambarude wrote: »

Works for me thanks to EW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

That link doesn't work me but I got the stuff I needed...eventually! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishharper

Anyone hear if there's any procedure etc in place regards the exams and the weather, if this mornings weather is anything to go by will have to be leaving Well before half 7 to get in safely to college for 9am start.

In my 3 years in College I never heard of an exam being postponed because of the weather. Granted this situation may never have arisen like this year but I still say exams will go ahead as scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

I've got to agree with lighthouse here, I would be very surprised if the exams were postponed. They will go ahead as planned and if you miss them...there's always the repeats next year! I would love if my psych exam was postponed though, 9 a.m. is far to early to have an exam ha!

• Advertisement

first exam there this morning at 9am, the whole college is like a skating rink its actually treacherous in there. I fell leaving the exam when i was walking on the gravel/stone near tailteann(we all thought it was safe but its not!) and a load more also fell right outside tailteann so I'd say theyre pretty sore now! it's not the college's fault they're doing their best but its seriously dangerous down there, so anyone heading into college or esp. tailteann be EXTREMELY careful!
    best of luck with the exams!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Best of luck to irishharper, sugajay and all others doing exams at the mo! Try not to fall over too much!

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Best of luck to irishharper, sugajay and all others doing exams at the mo! Try not to fall over too much!

Thanks! Haha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Slippy Tailteann slabs = potential I grades!

A carefully planned (graceful) slide might come handy if you're going into an exam you'd rather avoid!

On a more serious note, shaking some SAXA in front of you on the way in might work wonders:pac:

dambarude wrote: »
    On a more serious note, shaking some SAXA in front of you on the way in might work wonders:pac:

G'way with yourself with that expensive salt. Lidl stuff is dead cheap! (Trust me, I've used enough salt in science experiments over home TP!)

• Advertisement

G'way with yourself with that expensive salt. Lidl stuff is dead cheap! (Trust me, I've used enough salt in science experiments over home TP!)

Is baking soda any good cos I have 2 tins left over from my volcano :D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Apparently the college will send out one of those emergency texts in the event of a cancelled day, and then reschedule up to two days on the mon and tue of week 16!

:eek:

No thanks!

I'd rather come in on skiis than have to stay here any longer than the end of next week!

I vote that the W&E officers go out before the exams and spread salt! ;)

I vote that the W&E officers go out before the exams and spread salt! ;)

Now that would be thinking of the students welfare. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smic16

Final year English...any idea what to study for literary modernism!....Getting really frustrated with it!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I've been sick most of last week and this week. I am going to fail my exams and end my life in Shannon river. I will miss the meditation room most of all :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been sick most of last week and this week. I am going to fail my exams and end my life in Shannon river. I will miss the meditation room most of all :(

Flippant remarks about suicide are not funny.

Flippant remarks about suicide are not funny.

Have to say I'm with Insect Overlord on this one!

I realise that the remarks were probably (I hope) made in jest, but I have to agree with Insect Overlord.

I'm feeling pretty crap about exams/TP/the budget/general doom and gloom but I still wouldn't come on here and post a comment like that.

I don't want to mount any high horse, but comments like that don't have the desired effect (though I'm sure it was meant to be benevolent).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Smic16 wrote: »
    Final year English...any idea what to study for literary modernism!....Getting really frustrated with it!:confused:

Have you had a look at the past exam papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I am very sorry.

I am very sorry.

No worries. Nothing like realizing you made a mistake. If only our politicians could do likewise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I am very sorry.

If you were actually being serious, then please, please talk to someone about it. There is a great counselling service in the college.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Please don't joke about suicide.

If you are in need of assistance, please speak to someone.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hello everyone,

Whether the above suicidal comments are meant in jest or not, a word must be said on the topic of mental health.

Yes, we are very much in a gloomy climate at the moment; Budget cuts, dangerous and cold weather conditions and to top it all of, its exam season. Ugh.

However, particularly around this time, more than ever, everyone needs to look after themselves on an emotional and psychological level.

I was delighted to read the reaction of other posters who highlighted the excellent support services in the college. They are there for a reason and no matter how big or small you feel your problems are; if they bother you then they are worth talking about.

Our door is always open in the Students’ Union, the Chaplaincy always have the kettle boiled and the college's excellent Counselling service is there for a reason. All of the information regarding these services are on our website. There are also details about other support organisations you can contact.

One of the better, less cheesy quotes I came across this year is the Please Talk tagline: “Talking is a sign of strength not weakness.” The sooner people realise this, the better off they are. There is no shame in feeling down, for whatever reason and no shame seeking a supportive avenue to overcome those feelings.

Just remember, at the end of the day, everything that is causing you to feel stressed, under pressure or low, are insignificant in comparison to your mental health.

If any of you do feel this way, at any point throughout the academic year or ever in life, I would plead with you to talk to someone about it. I guarantee you it will be the best thing you ever did.

Quick question for the SU.

If I were to pay €1.50 for a bottle of Sprite in the library vending-machine, and then that bottle got stuck in the machine, who would be the best person to contact about getting my beverage/money back?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Campbell Catering runs the vending machines around the college so you should contact either Trish or Pat in the canteen. Alternatively you could take a quick stroll across to An Siopa next time and save yourself 20c in the process :D (no fear of the bottle getting stuck either ;))

This was taken by a 3rd year B. Ed. last year! 27112_1372570947018_1014117116_31174910_3754391_n.jpg

• Advertisement

It can go any way with that machine!

On different occasions I have been:
    -Given Lilt when I asked for Coke
    -Given Coke & Sprite (two bottles!) when I asked for Coke
    or
    -:mad:Given nothing at all

It adds a bit of excitement when you're taking a break from study in the library- you never know what you'll get (if anything)!

Advertisement