Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

When is the timetable for Spring/Summer Semester gonna be put up?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

The timetables usually aren't up until just before the semester starts. I'd guess that they'll be up on Thursday or Friday, January 20th or 21st

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Hi Guys, can I ask your opinions on something please?

I'm going to be doing a fundraiser for charity in the college when we head back, and I am organising a signed Munster Rugby Shirt. Question is.. would people prefer it if it was framed or not??

Thanks

Personally I'd prefer it framed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Random question here for ye :)

Someone told me before that we don't find out what level of degree (first class hrs, second class hrs etc) we get until we graduate, and they hand us the physical degree... Is this true?

I hope it isn't because it's seems a bit stupid to be applying for jobs/postgrads and still not be able to give accurate details of our degree >.<

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The QCA value you're given each time you check your exam results tells you what level of degree you're on. You'll know what degree you're getting when you get your final set of results in June of whatever year it is, when all of your semesters (excluding first year) can be included.

The QCA required for different standards of degree should be in the Student Handbook somewhere. The only one I can remember is that your QCA must be 3.4 or over to get a First Class Honours (but there is something about discretionary bands if you are just below it).

EDIT: I just found it in the handbook, page 52:
    AWARD ..... QCA
    First:.........3.40
    2.1:...........3.00
    2.2:...........2.60
    Third class:.2.00

Ah ok. Thank you :)

Then my next question, do we get our dessertation results during the summer too? Because I'm going to be in the discretionary band and relying on that to up me.

Ah ok. Thank you :)

Then my next question, do we get our dessertation results during the summer too? Because I'm going to be in the discretionary band and relying on that to up me.

I presume you'll get them as a grade for that module, along with your other module grades, in June.

dambarude wrote: »
    I presume you'll get them as a grade for that module, along with your other module grades, in June.

Ah ok, thank you. :) I shall presume my earlier source was grossly misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

You'll get one grade in your Winter results for your methodology/approach etc. and the other for your actual thesis in the Summer results, that's why they say the FYP is worth 2 modules

• Advertisement

You'll get one grade in your Winter results for your methodology/approach etc. and the other for your actual thesis in the Summer results, that's why they say the FYP is worth 2 modules

That's assuming the ECCE dessertation is graded the same way as the B.A and B.Ed and Psych. =/

That's assuming the ECCE dessertation is graded the same way as the B.A and B.Ed and Psych. =/
    You'll have to ask your supervisor that I'm afraid!

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hello all!

Great to see it being busy on here!

Firstly, happy new year to all on boards.

Ye are all well able to keep each other up to date and respond to each other's queries.

In relation to the timetable, it will probably be released on the Friday Jan 21st. Whenever it is released we will post it to our website and Facebook.

Thirdly, the ECCE dissertation is not double weighted like the other FYPs. It is worth one module.

Hope this helps!

There's a very interesting article in the Times about religion in the college (more specifically the B.Ed)...
    Basically it says that in comparison to subjects like Science it is afforded too much time. RE methodology lectures receive 48 hours, while Science/History/Geography only get 12 each.

About time it's been highlighted. The amount of time spent on SESE/SPHE is an absolute joke, way more time is needed. In relation to religion specifically, I didn't learn one new thing in RE methodology lectures in second year. The lecturers were filling time with guff as far as I could see. I don't disagree with RE being included in the B.Ed, it has to be, but 2 or 3 semesters of it would have been enough. That's not even mentioning Cert in RE.

I think Visual Arts is afforded way too much time as well (comparatively speaking).

I don't disagree with RE being included in the B.Ed, it has to be.
    In my opinion it should not be included as mandatory, it should be optional, well at least in an ideal secular education system which SHOULD be in place.

As it stands 2 1/2 hours a week are dedicated to RE in the primary curriculum, be it like the ethical programmes in Educate Together schools, or Catholic instruction in Catholic schools. So as it stands, the B.Ed wouldn't be covering the full curriculum if it didn't include some mandatory RE.

The content of the mandatory RE course in the college is questionable though, it probably spends too much time on Catholic RE. The argument that 92% of Irish schools are under Catholic patronage could be used to support that though (not that I agree with it).

As it stands 2 1/2 hours a week are dedicated to RE in the primary curriculum, be it like the ethical programmes in Educate Together schools, or Catholic instruction in Catholic schools. So as it stands, the B.Ed wouldn't be covering the full curriculum if it didn't include some mandatory RE.

The content of the mandatory RE course in the college is questionable though, it probably spends too much time on Catholic RE. The argument that 92% of Irish schools are under Catholic patronage could be used to support that though (not that I agree with it).
    I'll think you agree that therein lies the problem, the RCC, or any Religious faction for that matter, should NOT be in charge of any primary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seanbb

Hi all!

Hopefully somebody can help me.. Im a 2nd year B.A at the minute and cannot find the reading list for Katheryn Laing's English Module for the Spring semester..

I have emailed Katheryn and have gotton no reply, checked the Lan and previous reading lists she has given and cannot find them anywhere.

Could somebody tell me the books required point me in the direction of somebody who would know..

Thanks
    Sean

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Not sure what Katheryn lectures in but if you know the course code or module we have the second semester booklist available here:

http://misu.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=93

MISU

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seanbb

Not sure what Katheryn lectures in but if you know the course code or module we have the second semester booklist available here:

http://misu.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=93

MISU

Excellent, thats what I was looking for!

Thanks for that..

Sean

• Advertisement

Ah the memories, Kathrain Laing and "The Big House" module :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

There's a very interesting article in the Times about religion in the college (more specifically the B.Ed)...
    Basically it says that in comparison to subjects like Science it is afforded too much time. RE methodology lectures receive 48 hours, while Science/History/Geography only get 12 each.

About time it's been highlighted. The amount of time spent on SESE/SPHE is an absolute joke, way more time is needed. In relation to religion specifically, I didn't learn one new thing in RE methodology lectures in second year. The lecturers were filling time with guff as far as I could see. I don't disagree with RE being included in the B.Ed, it has to be, but 2 or 3 semesters of it would have been enough. That's not even mentioning Cert in RE.

I think Visual Arts is afforded way too much time as well (comparatively speaking).

George hook had an interesting discussion on this yeaterday. It's about 5 mins into Part 2 of his programme here.

Also confirmation that the B Ed programme has been extended to 4 years. Further information here.

The actual Teaching Council report itself on MIC can be seen here.

Other reports by the Teaching Council here.

lighthouse wrote: »
    Also confirmation that the B Ed programme has been extended to 4 years. Further information here.

That's not particularly good news for anyone currently in the system. It make sense of course, the B.Ed as it stands is a nightmare of a course.

I wonder if this could mean the end of the B.Ed Psychology, I had already heard that there is talk of it being discontinued. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I don't particularly like the idea of having a degree from a defunct course when I graduate...

I wonder if this could mean the end of the B.Ed Psychology, I had already heard that there is talk of it being discontinued. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I don't particularly like the idea of having a degree from a defunct course when I graduate...

Me neither. Something similar happened with the type of qualification my mother had... The few who remain with that qualification in Ireland (I'd rather not say what it is, for privacy purposes) seem to have gotten on fine - even when the course ended after they qualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Would that not make the qualification more valuable? Because you would be a rare breed if you know what I mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

The Teaching Council's Recommendations for the B.Ed programme were released today. Improving the library was described as a "matter of urgency". :P
    Personally, I cant help but whole-heartedly agree with that recommendation..

I'm surprised/disappointed that the review didn't mention the teaching qualifications (or lack thereof) of some of the lecturers who supervise TP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Interesting report. What is also interesting is the perception that some people have of Mary I. There is a discussion in the Limerick City forum about it (Limericks quiet revolution thread) and you would swear that Mary I was Glenstal Abbey according to some people. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Are this semesters timetables up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

For the Liberal Arts degree can you pick any four subjects in 1st year as long as you have 2 of them from different groups for 2nd, 3rd and 4th year? Thanks, 13spanner

Advertisement