Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

As far as I know you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

New timetables are in the college now AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

New timetables are in the college now AFAIK

Any way to get them from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Any way to get them from home?

Hopefully I just spotted on facebook a friend of mine said they were in there so probably be available online soon?

This is making me seriously angry! Why would they put them on the wall in the college when they know everybody is in Tipperary/Cork/Kerry/Roscommon/Ballygobackwards this week?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

dambarude wrote: »
    This is making me seriously angry! Why would they put them on the wall in the college when they know everybody is in Tipperary/Cork/Kerry/Roscommon/Ballygobackwards this week?!

It's ok to be angry. But don't be surprised :)

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

The timetables are now up online :)

That's one horrible timetable I have:(

Could any 4th Year B.Ed Psych tell me if I'll have FYP Preparation every Friday evening at 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Why would they put them on the wall in the college when they know everybody is in Tipperary/Cork/Kerry/Roscommon/Ballygobackwards this week?!

How did you know I'm in Ballygobackwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Could any 4th Year B.Ed Psych tell me if I'll have FYP Preparation every Friday evening at 3?

No. It didn't start til week 3 I think. A lot of it is completely pointless - referencing and how to use the library. Most of it is a rehash of the academic writing module you did in 1st year. You have to sign in every week for weeks 3 to 10 ish. Then after that, there are subject specific ones, so you'll only have to go to the psychology one.

• Advertisement

RibenaHead wrote: »
    No. It didn't start til week 3 I think. A lot of it is completely pointless - referencing and how to use the library. Most of it is a rehash of the academic writing module you did in 1st year. You have to sign in every week for weeks 3 to 10 ish. Then after that, there are subject specific ones, so you'll only have to go to the psychology one.

That sounds exactly like what I thought it would be like. i.e. painful. If it wasn't on at such an atrocious time it might be bearable.

I won't shoot the messenger though, thanks for the headsup RibenaHead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DesQ2

Any idea when the Mary i results are out and where to find them?

DesQ2 wrote: »
    Any idea when the Mary i results are out and where to find them?

The results are out on Friday 28th. You will have to log in here to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ThePower180

Hey im doing arts!.. Just wondering about the Maths in 2nd year because im thinking about keeping it on! I didnt do honours for the leaving but got an A1 in ordinary!.. Anyone give me a description of what its like please!?..

Hey im doing arts!.. Just wondering about the Maths in 2nd year because im thinking about keeping it on! I didnt do honours for the leaving but got an A1 in ordinary!.. Anyone give me a description of what its like please!?..

I've a feeling that nobody who posts on here did maths...

I must say that my altered timetable is much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 parabola_89

I must say that my altered timetable is much better!

It definitely is! Now all that's left is to get History of Education and Cert. at different times and we're flying it! :D

It definitely is! Now all that's left is to get History of Education and Cert. at different times and we're flying it! :D

I've been looking into that and I don't think it can be done... As far as I can see History of Ed isn't on at any time in the B.Ed2 timetable that we are free. I could be wrong though (hopefully I am!).

Still, the thoughts of getting a bus at 4/5 on a Friday evening weren't pretty. At least if we do have to go in on Friday morning we'll be finished reasonably early.

Oh, and hello after Xmas!

I wonder if this could mean the end of the B.Ed Psychology, I had already heard that there is talk of it being discontinued. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I don't particularly like the idea of having a degree from a defunct course when I graduate...

It won't mean the end of the B. Ed. Psych. according to a certain lecturer who addressed this today, mentioning that he read it on "boards!" Glad to see lecturers noting our concerns!

It won't mean the end of the B. Ed. Psych. according to a certain lecturer who addressed this today, mentioning that he read it on "boards!" Glad to see lecturers noting our concerns!

The same lecturer (I'm guessing) said the same thing to us!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's another reason for us to get our own forum! :p

• Advertisement

Anybody else having problems accessing the LAN tonight?

It's working here.

Hi ThePower180, Noel here in the SU.

I actually did Maths to fourth year as part of my BA, along with Media (weird combo I know). Like you, I did Ordinary Level for the LC and got an A1 and I got through the course here in Mary I fine. By the end of 1st year all Maths students are on the same level so you go into 2nd year the same as those who did Honours for the LC.

The study guides are a great help before exams as are the tutorials. The topics are usually ironed out a bit more in those.

You cover some computer maths in second year, C++ to be precise, which can be interesting. Most of the topics covered continue on from first year, just that bit harder, as you would expect.

Final year, as with most subjects, is the hardest. You cover some fairly abstract material that will take a while to sink in but the plus side is that everyone will be feeling equally lost. You will eventually understand the material though. You do more C++ in final year again also.

Hope this helps in some way. Feel free to call down to SU if you wanna talk about it in more detail.

Noel

Could anybody tell me if I'm right in saying that a bus for UL leaves William St every fifteen minutes?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Anyone any recommendations for a dictaphone? As far as I know none of my lecturers are against them, I just can't write notes quick enough!!

On a similar note, would anybody like to start a trend of bringing laptops to lectures? I'd love to be able to type notes but I think I'd look like a lunatic typing away to myself!:o

The dictaphone idea is an interesting one, have you asked your lecturers about it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

On a similar note, would anybody like to start a trend of bringing laptops to lectures? I'd love to be able to type notes but I think I'd look like a lunatic typing away to myself!:o

D4RK ONION used to bring his laptop to lectures all the time! :D I brought mine a few times, but rarely used it. I found solitaire too distracting... >_>
    The dictaphone idea is an interesting one, have you asked your lecturers about it?

I reckon you'd have to clear that with each individual lecturer. Some of them could be weird about it. Although, most of what you hear in lectures should only be supplementary to the course readings!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I type so much faster than I write, the odd looks are worth it for the increased speed and easier access of typed notes. Just go for it sure, what's the worse that could happen.

Also, it's been a while since I posted here. Hello fair Mary I students. How goes it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I got permission from my lecturer to use the dictaphone as long its for my personal use only:rolleyes: Its really only 1 subject I wanted it for to be honest.
    After trying to write 6 pages of notes this morning, think I'm going to give it a try and then type up the notes afterwards.

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I type so much faster than I write, the odd looks are worth it for the increased speed and easier access of typed notes.
    Ditto.
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    How goes it?
    Busily:(. I've never had such a traumatic first week (college work-wise) in my life!

Advertisement