Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Gluck to everybody waiting on results!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Yes, g'luck to everyone! Why does it bloody well crash every year? Grrrrrrr!

I still haven't managed to login fully. I hope the IT person in UL hasn't taken off for the weekend- I can't wait until Monday now!

EDIT @ 18:04- managed to log in, but there are no results up!

EDIT @ 18:41- This is a joke!

EDIT @ 19:03- It looks like it will be Monday. I'm not the only one to log in and see that no results are there. This is a disaster tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Well seeing as we're awarding marks here, I'd like to give a grade A for incompetency to the gobshytes who make an utter horlicks of dispensing our results every year :mad:

Thanks to the SU for the update on what's going on, it's great to see you looked into it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The SU this year has been what I'd like to call GDLK. GG guys!
    dambarude wrote: »
    Ditto.

Busily:(. I've never had such a traumatic first week (college work-wise) in my life!

Ah shur, it's better than being out here in the scary real world! Loving all the Facebook stuff about not being able to access results. That's why I always waited a day or two to check :P

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Still waiting on my results.
    On a different note it's nice that people still use the link I put up on WTL for the results, not that there was anything to see of course.
    The counter went up by 200, not as much as it used to go up in the good old times but then we are all living in different times I suppose. ;)

Thanks again MISU ...

Thanks again MISU ...

+1 on that!

THEY'RE UP!

• Advertisement

Finally! That anticipation was a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Congrats to all those happy with their results..! I can imagine the wait being quite worrying for some..

On a less serious note, does anyone know what exactly they're building at the secondary enterance? Its currently looking quite tacky at the moment in my opinion.. :pac:

On a less serious note, does anyone know what exactly they're building at the secondary enterance? Its currently looking quite tacky at the moment in my opinion.. :pac:

A toll gate?!:pac:

It looks bad alright...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A toll gate?!:pac:

It looks bad alright...

They'll be putting down a moat with a draw-bridge next!

On a less serious note, does anyone know what exactly they're building at the secondary enterance?

I think they're turning it into the main entrance. Don't really understand the slabs on concrete but I'm sure there's a reason. It's kind of like a giant x-ray machine like the ones at the airport!

Thumbs up to MISU during these darkened times of no information for keep all results seeking students up to date during the recent outage. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Here's a link to the MIC Campus Development Masterplan 2010-2016

http://www.mic.ul.ie/president/08062_%20MIC%20Masterplan_July%202010%20Final.pdf

Really interesting to see the plans for the college. :D

Here's hoping it goes ahead.

I'm curious why MI students for the most part don't use this forum, especially with MISU promoting it and promptly answering students queries when they are posted.
    Does anyone have any opinions on this?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

lighthouse wrote: »
    I'm curious why MI students for the most part don't use this forum, especially with MISU promoting it and promptly answering students queries when they are posted.
    Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Because the typical profile of the Mary I student is someone reared on a diet of GAA and the Den, with the Internet considered a big scary place full of perverts and hackers. Apart from Facebook, Wikipedia and YouTube, of course. They're grand for MICL students.

Because the typical profile of the Mary I student is someone reared on a diet of GAA and the Den, with the Internet considered a big scary place full of perverts and hackers. Apart from Facebook, Wikipedia and YouTube, of course. They're grand for MICL students.

Is that a personal profile :D

• Advertisement

I'll have you know that I can count the times I watched the Den during my childhood on the digits of one hand! :D

An addendum: a fondness for decent music (rock, metal, "alternative") will also set you apart from the crowd in Mary I. Maybe the two are connected...

TBH I don't think the internet usage of students in other colleges would be much different.

Mary I is pretty homogeneous, but I wouldn't expect it to be any other way in a college that really only runs 2 major courses (the BA and the BEd).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barkwater

Wow. As someone who watched the Den whenever it was on (and enjoyed it) and proudly played GAA every chance I got BUT who also actually understands that the big 'e' on my desktop is not the place where the internet lives on my computer, I take a little bit of offence to that.

I'm hoping that I'm reading the tone of your post, and its addendum, wrong (and I may be, it's been a long day of gawking at useless articles for a wide variety of stupid assignments), but I do feel that there is a slight superiority complex sometimes (and I stress sometimes) in this thread. This superiority can also be found in other threads/forums too and it's one of the reasons I deleted my original account all those years ago and why I was also wary of rejoining/reposting again this year. Sometimes, I feel that there is a tendancy here to go 'Ah sure, look at the fools still on facebook! Look at them using IE!' So what? They're using the internet/social networking systems in a way that they're comfortable with and that probably matches up with the interest and usage time that they show in this area/sector. It may not be the most efficient or perfect system, but it works for them personally - the SU answers queries quite promptly on facebook too. When people discover that they have a new need for something on the internet be it a forum or something else, they'll find the appropriate resource or site and use it in a manner that they choose.

No, not everyone in MIC is using Boards - because it probably doesn't suit their interests or needs. So perhaps, we can avoid this attitude of 'us' being the elite that know of internet life beyond the facebook/youtube/wiki and scorning people who just don't have a huge interest in it. Maybe then, if people do want to join here, they don't feel that they are handicapped by their lack of 'cool' interent usage credentials.

Apologies for the long post and please remember this is my opinion and not an attack on this thread which I think is a fantastic way of communicating with others in MIC.

Oh, I didn't mean to give the impression that all Boards posters are arrogant and superior! Just me! :p

Serious reply: I too am a big fan of Gaelic Games. I just don't follow it as keenly as most of my fellow students did when I did the B.Ed. The Internet is/was my big hobby, and I only knew one person I could relate to on that level during three years as a student here.

I was pretty unhappy for most of my time in the college as an undergrad. That's through no fault of the college itself. I just didn't acclimatise to the place properly. When I did get to know people, none of them shared this hobby of mine. I've grown cynical as a result, but I usually hide that fairly well! :pac:

You read the tone of my posts as I intended them to be ready: bitchy, arrogant, cynical. That's how I was feeling earlier tonight. I'm sorry for giving such a bad impression. I usually try my best to promote this thread, MICL and the role Boards can play within the college. See this thread, for instance: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68228839#post68228839

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barkwater

Now this is why I like the MIC thread - you can say something without being attacked for it! I said a very similar thing many years ago on Boards and was practically run out of the place!:eek:

I completely understand the acclimatising issue - in such a small college, it's hard to find a lot of people who share similar interests to you. I hated my 1st semester here but now I'm quite fond of the place. I'm still waiting for someone to understand the phrases 'frack it' and 'so say we all' though.:D But just because people don't understand it, doesn't mean that I'm going to look down on every single MIC person and their TV viewing habits. Although, I won't deny that MIC can definitely bring out the cynical, bitchy and bitter side of people (Home TP/FYP anyone?) I do try - no matter how hard it is - to have a positive outlook on the general population here.

As for promoting boards, you do do an excellent job at promoting it along with the other regular posters! Never, ever think otherwise - we're all allowed off days! Even though I'm more of a lurker than a poster, I definitely appreciate it. I would love a proper forum here and I've already added my vote long ago. TBH, this is more of a general thing I've found all over the forums that I lurk in and this thread happened to be the first one that really happened to mention it directly and really irk me! It was the Den comment... I loved the Den!;)

Thanks! (And again, a long post... I'm out of the habit of short posts!) Now, back to my regularly scheduled lurking...

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Everyone who doesn't agree with me and share my opinions is a lesser being tbh. :pac:

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Everyone who doesn't agree with me and share my opinions is a lesser being tbh. :pac:

Oh I do I do I do agree with you. Please am I now on the same level as you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

SO...moving on from all that arguing and infighting.

Hot Week (new rebranding of Rag week):
    Thoughts and opinions (both good and bad)?

Looking forward to making the most of the final one. Don't really like the new name and the lack of bands playing at night time events. Loving the Summerville Sessions idea and the culchie games...

We can criticise all we like but, in reality, what you get out of RAG (or HOT) week depends on what you put into it!

• Advertisement

SO...moving on from all that arguing and infighting.

Think this is going to be the best event of the week. :D

Advertisement