Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Either that or the Summerville Sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

lighthouse wrote: »
    Think this is going to be the best event of the week. :D

Just for the record, this is in no way an attempt to take away from the SU-organised HOT week events. Molly's is free anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

What exactly is the Summerville Sessions thing?

If that is a trad session I can't see it going down well with the postgrads who are studying in the building.

Last semester someone organised a session in Summerville and a certain lecturer stopped it and told the group to leave the building immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Just for the record, this is in no way an attempt to take away from the SU-organised HOT week events. Molly's is free anyway!

That's not what you said to me last night. ;)

RonMexico wrote: »

If that is a trad session I can't see it going down well with the postgrads who are studying in the building.

Last semester someone organised a session in Summerville and a certain lecturer stopped it and told the group to leave the building immediately.

As I learned from experience from being a class rep you can never please everyone all the time. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It's much more than a trad session. AFAIK there are 3/4 rooms with people/bands performing for 3 hours.

Such is the line-up:

SG 1- Band Style Fun
    5:00-5:30 TBC
    5:35-6:05 Jack Hussey, Phil O’ Neill & Mike Hayes
    6:10-6:40 Tony Benn & Johnny Clancy
    6:45-7:15 Beatles Tribute Band
    7:20-7:50 Just Above Average

SG 2
    5:00-5:25 Darren O’ Neill
    5:30-5:55 Steve Moloney
    6:00-6:25 Matteo Cullen
    6:30-6:55 Sam Lavery
    7:00-7:25 Neil Barry
    7:30-7:55 Jen Ronan

SG 3 for novelty
    5:00-6:45 “O’ Dwyer’s” style jam feat. Sadhbh McCoy, Michael O’ Dwyer, Amanda & the boys. (AND MAYBE A FEW LECTURERS!!)
    7:00-7:30 The Immatures
    7:35-7:55 Dynamics

SG 10- Songwriters’ Den
    5:00-5:25 Chris Duffy
    5:30-5:55 Jeff Weiss
    6:00-6:25 Kevin Tobin
    6:30-8:00 Limerick Songwriters‘ Session

SG 11- Traditional Heaven
    5:00-8:00 MIC Trad Society givin’ it shtickk!

JUST ANNOUNCED:
    B Positives will be playin in Scotts afterwards.....starting 10ish

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's going to be epic! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Yeah, the Summerville Sessions are going to be great! Mostly acts from the college. It's free in but we'll have buckets for any change for donations to the ISPCC.

The Live Music Society are still looking for volunteers to set up the place for the gigs. Ye'll be working from around 4 o clock onwards.
    Contact Darragh or PM me with your details.

Tell your friends.

As I learned from experience from being a class rep you can never please everyone all the time. :mad:

In fairness given that it is the last semester for many MA and Ph.D. students they are under a lot of pressure to meet thesis deadlines. Summerville is the only building where they can write in peace and many of them stay there until 10pm every night.

I can write at home so it doesn't bother me, but I won't be surprised if it pisses people off.

• Advertisement

I'm studying for my MA and I'm going to be one of the first people sitting into Summerville House on Wednesday. It's charity week. Give students one evening to enjoy free entertainment in an alternative venue. The Library stays open until 10:00 PM for people who need to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

The Library stays open until 10:00 PM for people who need to study.

And, what's more, with everyone in Summerville the library will be empty. So anyone who feels like doing work will be able to do so in peace and surrounded by sources.

As I said it doesn't bother me.

I am just saying that going by what I know of postgrads in Summerville - not everyone is going to feel that way.

There was a lot of tension over there last semester due to noise interfering with people trying to study.

Hopefully there won't be complaints and it will be a good laugh.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi folks,

Hope you are all having a good week!

Just in relation to Summerville Sesasions. We are very aware of the situation with the Postgraduates area in Summerville. They have all been notified of the event on more than on occasion and well in advance. I understand its not ideal for them but as mentioned, the week is all about charity and we would hope that all students - both undergraduate and postgraduate would get involved.

Happy HOT Week! :)

What's with all the broken flower pots outside the new building?

What's with all the broken flower pots outside the new building?

Looks like it's 'HOT' week related to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

RibenaHead wrote: »
    I think they're turning it into the main entrance. Don't really understand the slabs on concrete but I'm sure there's a reason. It's kind of like a giant x-ray machine like the ones at the airport!

Yeah they're hideous looking and theyre not even in line with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smic16

Viewing of exam scripts was said to have been between 10 and 4 today but they go and close it from 12.45 till 2...with no warning...they had absolutely no concern for students...cant get to view my scripts now because of lectures etc!...Could they really not have put someone in there for the sake of the hour over lunch!!!!...:confused:

Smic16 wrote: »
    Viewing of exam scripts was said to have been between 10 and 4 today but they go and close it from 12.45 till 2...with no warning...they had absolutely no concern for students...cant get to view my scripts now because of lectures etc!...Could they really not have put someone in there for the sake of the hour over lunch!!!!...:confused:

You could write a book about this sort of thing at this stage.

That aside, I think the process was organised much better this year. I viewed my scripts today. At least they've changed the room where it takes place, it used to be in G06 (?) which could fit like 5 people. The new room took 12 or more as far as I could see. The ladies in there were very pleasant. Some people's scripts were missing though.

The way scripts are marked seems to vary wildly. Some lecturers write comments at the side, which give you some idea where you went wrong (or right). Others just plonk a grade on the front page. Obviously the likes of MCQs are either right or wrong so there's no need, but it'd be very helpful if all the lecturers made some attempt to physically mark the page in some way.

One script I viewed today seemed to follow a marking scheme that was totally contradictory to the way we were told the work would be marked.

And while we're on the whole examination thing... has the MISU found out any more about the whole grade recheck process? I'd say a lot of people in the room today didn't realise that appealing would do no more than get the lecturer to take tot the scores up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Hi All.

Cumann Gaelach UL will be holding a protest against Enda Kenny's Policy on Irish in the Education System.

It will be on Monday(14th) in Arthur's Quay Park in Limerick City at 12pm.

We would be delighted if people came out from Mary I to join us.

Our Protest will be the Limerick branch of a protest that will be going on Outside Dáil Éireann at the same time.

We have been in touch with LIT's SU and they are spreading the word there too so hopefully we will have people from there too.

For background Info on the protest see here:

Facebook Page for Dublin Protest.

Le Gach Dea-ghuí
    Christóir Ó Faoláin
    Uachtaráin, Cumann Gaelach UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Must say I had a pretty enjoyable RAG Week, what did everyone else make of it..? Bit disappointed I missed Thursday night but I guess that's the joys of TP.

On that matter, I'd like to wish good luck to all the other first years on TP for the next few fridays and block week. :)

I was just out one night, Tuesday in Trinners. Nice to have a good old traditional students night out. Eventhough I'm out of the College now it's nice to see I still have a few fans there. Women coming up to me wanting their picture taken with me. Gas. I felt like a politician. :D

On that matter, I'd like to wish good luck to all the other first years on TP for the next few fridays and block week. :)
    Good idea.. Good luck to one and all. And make sure you don't take it too seriously, try and enjoy it. There'll be plenty of time for worrying about it when you're being graded in 2nd/3rd (4th) year.

dambarude wrote: »
    Good idea.. Good luck to one and all. And make sure you don't take it too seriously, try and enjoy it. There'll be plenty of time for worrying about it when you're being graded in 2nd/3rd (4th) year.

Agreed. Currently trying my best just to enjoy what I can and learn from my mistakes now rather than when its more strenously marked in the future. The pass/fail grading takes a lot of pressure of in a way though.

Agreed. Currently trying my best just to enjoy what I can and learn from my mistakes now rather than when its more strenously marked in the future. The pass/fail grading takes a lot of pressure of in a way though.

When I did it I was given a grade which personally I felt was a better system as it gave you an idea of where you were at for a first TP. With the current system you don't really know how good/bad you are and you have to wait until the end of second year to be graded. However as I said that's just a personal opinion. what do other people think of the current pass/fail system for first year TP?

With the current system you don't really know how good/bad you are and you have to wait until the end of second year to be graded.

Just to make a brief comment on this, its to my understanding that all those in the near fail range would be recieving extra guidence following 1st year TP to assist in bringing up their grade for infant TP in 2nd year. So if one just about passes, they will be told and extra tution may be given. This is what I understood from the TP Co-ordinator anyways.

Just to make a brief comment on this, its to my understanding that all those in the near fail range would be recieving extra guidence following 1st year TP to assist in bringing up their grade for infant TP in 2nd year. So if one just about passes, they will be told and extra tution may be given. This is what I understood from the TP Co-ordinator anyways.

I take your point but unless you are in the near fail category you really don't know where you are on the scale. The reason I make this point is that I did quite well on 1st year TP, was a little disappointed with my next 2 TPs and if I hadn't got a grade on 1st year TP, I'd have been a little more doubtful as I approached home TP.
    For the record I was delighted with home TP result and can see clearer now why my middle 2 TPs were a little disappointing.

TP grades are a very touchy subject!

dambarude wrote: »
    TP grades are a very touchy subject!

Well... lots of people feel hard done by with their TP results. In fairness there's a lot of inconsistency regarding supervisors. Some students know exactly when their supervisor is coming, some don't; certain supervisors want the student to do XYZ whereas another might say that it's not great practice... all very subjective and not very well standardised!

• Advertisement

Yup.. it's glaringly obvious that there are serious inconsistencies in the way TP is graded. The fact that those in charge choose to ignore it makes it even worse. Like being told 'you don't teach to suit your supervisor, you teach in accordance with what you're taught in college'. My eyeball, do that and your supervisor will fail you for not doing what he/she said.

Advertisement