Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Does the gym in the Tailteann building have showers?

That's actually been used as a quiz question a few times this year! :)

There are 10 changing rooms, and 5 showers.

Shower 1: Tailteann staff.
    Shower 2: Female (indoor training).
    Shower 3: Male (indoor training).
    Shower 4: Female (outdoor training).
    Shower 5: Male (outdoor training).

They're downstairs in the building, same level as the main sports hall. The weights room/gym is upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Very precise. you seem to be having a shower there yourself Insect in the photo :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

lighthouse wrote: »
    Very precise. you seem to be having a shower there yourself Insect in the photo :D

Looking back now, I wish I'd taken the same approach to Mary I as Ferris Beuller took to school!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

So... who's looking forward to the MI Ball on Friday?

Got a boardsie pic at it last year. Will there be the same turn-out this year?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Well I wont be there, so the picture will be instantly crap :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishharper

As far as I know all the 800 tickets for the ball sold out,should be a great night!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Anyone tell me what time the computer labs open in the mornings?

There's usually one door open around ten to nine, with the rest being opened up at nine o'clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Is it true all timetables are up somewhere in the college?

Rumours :rolleyes: Mary I is like a low population town sometimes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ShortDamo

I've got the BA course in Mary Immaculate College as first on my CAO and was wondering could people give me as much information and experiences of it and the college. I'm thinking of Theology, history, philosophy and English. I would love to hear comments about these like modules choice, lecturers, workload etc, or recommendations of any other subjects. Thanks and all is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Is it true all timetables are up somewhere in the college?

Rumours :rolleyes: Mary I is like a low population town sometimes :p

Hi boomkatalog,

The timetables have yet to be released. The timetables that are up are for 2nd year students.

MISU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Hi boomkatalog,

The timetables have yet to be released. The timetables that are up are for 2nd year students.

MISU

I thought it was a little early. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

ShortDamo wrote: »
    I've got the BA course in Mary Immaculate College as first on my CAO and was wondering could people give me as much information and experiences of it and the college. I'm thinking of Theology, history, philosophy and English. I would love to hear comments about these like modules choice, lecturers, workload etc, or recommendations of any other subjects. Thanks and all is much appreciated.

I really like the course. While the college isn't amazing, it's improving greatly, especially since the new building opened. Other areas of the college need knocking though. :P

I don't do any of the subjects you want to do but the people I know who do english absolutely love it.

You get to go to every subject lecture for the first week to get a taste so that can often give you an idea.

Mary I is also only a 15 minute walk to the city centre in one direction and the crescent SC in the other so you're right bang in the heart of Limerick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

am doing the foundation course. does anybody know what a merit is equal to? my results have been B1, B3, A2, B3 with two more to go.

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

McSween, I'm doing the Foundation course too. But considering I only know about 4 peoples names I more than likely don't know you. Are you a sit on the left side or a righty? :D

And how did you manage to get the Heritage Studies grade??!!

Jammy! :)

:D I emailed Orla earlier asking when we'd get them. Didn't think she'd be back to me so quick.

I sit on the 2nd last row on the right as you face the lecturer in our usual room. Longish hair, never ask questions :D

Who are you then?

Jammy! Wish I'd thought of that. I'll have to suffer on untill Monday night to get my results...though I don't really want it!:rolleyes:

I'm on the right hand side too. 3rd row from the front. Usually sit beside Tara (the girl with the really really long dark hair) I'm not much of a questions girl either. Keep quiet and avoid the lecturer. :D I don't even know who sits behind me.

Fingers crossed for the merit eh!!

ah i think i have you down to 3 or 4 now haha. have you blond hair? the others in that cluster always ask questions :D

yeah, the merit would be nice. you planning on doing the BA? i hope to.

The blonde one is Maria. I was sitting beside her on the outside of the row of seats on Wednesday. It's the row in front that have that 'cluster of questions'.:rolleyes: Ha, it's like a game of Guess Who we're playing here.

Yeah, really want to do it. Like I said to the others, even if I don't get the merit I'll still just show up to classes. :D

Any idea what subjects you'll do? How're you finding the course? Any complaints?

hmm im not sure who you are now. im trying to think of who is in front of me. do you wear a headband in your hair? if so youre normally right in front of me.

i like it. at the beginning i didnt know how i was going to get on but ive been happy enough with the results so far. i went to kilkee yesterday on a field trip to get my stuff together for coastal erosion for the geography essay.

if i got on to the course i reckon i'd choose: geography, french, english, history. i wouldnt rule out media and communication or heritage studies though

i've already had a shot at UL and although i did research on that course i didnt like it and exited it before long (4 years ago). with the BA i feel i can do it cos this course is excellent preparation.

what about your subjects for next year?

• Advertisement

Yeah! That's me. Many a different coloured hairband. Nuts, I feel guilty that I don't know you now. :o

Wow, you are seriously prepared for the essay. I'm not looking forward to the Geography one at all. It's such a vague title. I think I'll probably do the political geog. one.....maybe!:rolleyes:

I was in UCC 8 years ago when I was 17 and loved Cork but not so much the course work. I gave it up after the 1st year.

I really want to do Media & Communications and English, and I'll do History and Heritage Studies for the 1st year.

after i posted i remembered the girl with the really long hair. i thought you meant initially the girl who asks the questions in the 2nd row.

as i said, before i got any results i didnt really know if i wanted to do the course but i was delighted with what i got so far and surprised if im honest. so i have started thinking about it since they gave us the 2 results a few weeks ago.

unemployment allows me to do these field trips. i loved geography when i repeated my leaving so i feel i should do well in it. the german studies requires further clarification :D. im popping in to sabine on wednesday for 5 mins.

ive seen suggestions that you can apply via cao, not sure what ill do there in case i dont get the merit. it would be good to have some familiar faces in the mature students next september. are many of your surrounding people thinking of doing it?

Dear God the German was torture. :( Sad to say though but I think I have more of a handle on it than the Geography.

Ah yes, I know the woman you're on about. If she'd just hold her horses for a minute she'd get the answers!!! :D

I was consiering English and New Media in UL for a while but I'm happy with Mary I.

I wish I spent my unemployed days as educationally as you do!!!

don't worry, i did bugger all today.

the foreign guy who comes in :D, he buggers off when he feels like it :D

When I spoke to Sabine on the phone she played down the difficulty of her essay, 500 words i think. But I'd rather speak to her face to face on it. I wonder how many of these we will have next year per subject.

Most of the people I have spoken to have said they'd like to do the BA. I asked about 2 weeks ago was there a limit of foundation course students who could do it and he (wont say his name on here) said he didnt think there was, ie, get the merit and youre in.

Ah he is a joke!! He is so annoying and is totally taking the p**s but you just have to laugh. And the smell of drink off him!!! :eek: He keeps asking us to join him in the pub after...:D

I only know one or two others in the class who want to do it. I wonder when we'll find out our results? And yeah definitely agree about having the familliar faces next year. Can't believe it's just over. I'll be so bored after Monday.

yeah when we got the timetable in january i couldnt believe it was ending so soon. i thought we'd be in until may.

on the first night there were so many more there. i thought then i was going to find it very hard as i had been told it was but it has been ok.

i didnt know he was pissed, just thought he was a dude haha.

i think the english was the most enjoyable subject so far. possibly because it was one lecturer, im not sure.

Ha, he's both a dude and a pisshead!

Yeah we were talking about it the other day, how loads of people have dropped out. One of the girls was saying that she counted 70 on the 1st night. There's about 40 left I'd guess.

I was nervous about my standard of work for the course, I wasn't exactly the best student in UCC but I've gotten an A and Bs so I'm happy enough.

Do you know which subjects you'll keep on for 2nd year?

English was my favourite and I totally agree with the one lecturer thing. Philosophy went waaaay over my head!

i havent met anybody who has got lower than a B yet you know!. i counted about 38 on monday night, i tune out sometimes :)

not sure about 2nd year yet. the heritage studies is year 1 only so it could be a good choice to make. i read somewhere on this thread that in the first week or so of 1st year, you get a sample lecture in all the subjects. that's irish and theology skipped for me :D

Me too, and I'll be skipping Psychology too. Did it in Cork and hated it. I suppose I sort of have my mind made up but I'll go to a few others to be sure.

There's been a lot of tuning out in class recently. Either utter boredom or end of course giddyness.:)

I have a rake of friends who've gone to Mary I so I'm pretty well informed on what to expect. I just want my place now!!!

Are you living in Limerick or have you far to travel?

• Advertisement

philosophy was bloody awful. i did it on the sunday night, the day before it had to be in. doing a word count every sentence to see how close i was to the required amount.

what question did you do in each?

i did: english-kenneally's poetry

philosophy - i think therefore i am, descartes

history-oral history interview

im only 10 mins drive from the college. there was a bit of giddyness alright :D

i think id do the nerd on it in sept and bring the laptop/dictaphone subject to permission into the lectures

Advertisement