Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Welcome to the new posters!

If you haven't done so already it'd be great if you could post support for the forum (click on the picture in my signature).

Nice to see new people talking in the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I started it on the Sunday night too. It was horrific. I did the Utilitarianism essay.
    History - slavery.
    English - the drama.
    Heritage - some Egyptian thing. I don't think even now I know exactly what it was!

Ha, nerd or lazy?!

I'm really bad at leaving the essays till the last minute. :o

I'm about 40 mins away. It's not too bad.

Ah I feel all special now! :D

I've been reading the Mary I sticky for a few months but never posted. If I do get my place in Sept you can expect many more. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭McSween

will do dambarude.

im not usually bad at leaving them until the last minute. the philosophy left me with no alternative however :)

i was doing a fas course for 6 weeks until last week and i do french on tuesday evenings in ul so it has been a busy time. the french ends on tuesday week so i wont know what to do when this course and that ends.

i have appalling handwriting and i am good at typing so it makes way more sense :)

I've left every one of them till the last minute. And I mean the very last minute!!!! But I seem to work well that way, maybe it's the pressure.

Was the French an evening course too? I want to learn French (again!) but I can't find any courses that would be on in the summer. I need something to pass the time for me or I'll go out of my mind!

What was the FAS course? I miss being busy but I'll struggle on!:D

• Advertisement

the french course is from sept to april each year. cost 300 i think. very relaxed and superbly taught. mine is 6-8 on tuesdays so fit in perfectly with the mary i course.

the fas course was manual and computerised payroll. was interested in seeing what it was like. loved it. a superb bunch of people on the course too. i think our next piss up is the 8th april :D

hoping to get onto the accounting one in may there too.

Bloody hell you're fair on the ball!!! :p Damn, I wish i'd known about the French.

I'll just keep the head down for the summer and try not let my brain melt!!:D

i didnt realise you had to notify the social welfare about evening courses so make sure you do if you havent. i was called in and told the woman what i was doing and she said to notify the hatch just in case my name appeared on a list of college attendess that they request from time to time. it could have looked as if i was doing day courses. i just wrote in to them to inform them they were evening courses and there was no issue.

Yeah I visited my 'ever friendly' dole office at the start of the course and she made a song and dance about it. When I said it was the evening course she seemed uninterested and as I filled in the form she told me to come back IF I got full time.

The attendance in the Foundation course is really bad. I thought it would be important but I heard a rumour that there's one girl who hasn't been in since the start but gets her notes and hands in the essays... a bit unfair methinks!

to be fair their is no way they can tell whether you are there or not, bar german studies as they pass the attendance sheet around. ive not missed too many nights, 4 i think, 2 were champions league nights

• Advertisement

Priorities! :D:D

exactly, glad the course is ending due to exciting games ahead :)

Ha, I'd bet it was planned for that exact reason! :D

How'd you find the Academic Writing?

very good. superb lecturer i think. very much our age etc. what did you think?

I really liked it and found it helpful but I think we should have had them at the start of the course. Like maybe 2 x2 weeks and then the subjects. A small complaint though.

did you know anybody doing the course before you started it?

No didn't know anyone. I thought I heard someone say they were from my town ages ago when Billy was asking us who was near a museum, but if so I don't recognise her.

Did you know anyone?

not really. i had met paddy behind me once before though.

I still feel like I don't know many in the class. And now it's too late! :o

i have been wondering would there be more of a bonding if we knew people from the foundation course come 1st year. im sure there would be. mary i is a closer college than the likes of ul.

• Advertisement

I suppose we'll all be in the same boat come September. All the newbies! I've been in UL a few times and am not a fan. UCC was grand but I was never there long enough to judge it. They had a great college bar though! :D

meant to ask, as mature students, can we do the BA in 3 years? ie, avoiding the work placement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

McSween wrote: »
    meant to ask, as mature students, can we do the BA in 3 years? ie, avoiding the work placement?

I've been told about someone who did that, so I assume you can.

/hopefully someone more informed gives you a definite answer :)

I asked at the open day last year and the woman (no idea who she actually was!) said that it can be done but you have to show that you have experience in the subject that you're doing and even then they would advise against skipping it.

AFAIK some people choose not to go on work experience for the year, but rather they start study for their fourth year project, or take some modules so that they won't have to do them in fourth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Currently on block week TP for first year. Just want to comments on some of the feedback i'm getting from my supervisor which is quite frankly focusing more on folders than anything else.
    Part of the function of the supervisor should be to facilitate me to improve my teaching but I find it quite irritating that some of her nagative comments include missing children's work from week 1 of TP which I no longer have.
    The emphasis placed on folders, resource expecially, is quite pointless in my opinion.

Sorry for the rant, just feeling a bit frustrated..! :o

personal statements for BA course :o. any help lads?:)

Currently on block week TP for first year. Just want to comments on some of the feedback i'm getting from my supervisor which is quite frankly focusing more on folders than anything else.
    Part of the function of the supervisor should be to facilitate me to improve my teaching but I find it quite irritating that some of her nagative comments include missing children's work from week 1 of TP which I no longer have.
    The emphasis placed on folders, resource expecially, is quite pointless in my opinion.

Sorry for the rant, just feeling a bit frustrated..! :o

It's understandable to feel like that. Unfortunately frustration is one of the more benign emotions to feel during TP- there are many worse ones:D

In my experience the best thing to do is to say straight out what you want advice on. Something like "...and folders aside, looking at my actual teaching, is there anything in particular you think I should focus on?". The fact she's focusing on folders might actually be a good thing- there mightn't be anything else to complain about!

The funny thing is that none of the supervisors I've had have paid any attention to the resource folder. As long as it looks chunky enough they didn't care what was in it. I even had the Director of TP himself for one visit, and he didn't even ask to see my resource folder.

It's pot luck, or bad luck.... you'll know all about it by the time you're in third year.

McSween wrote: »
    personal statements for BA course :o. any help lads?:)

Give me this course because either way I'm showing up to attend classes. That's the jist of mine! :D

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi Guys

fyi

Paul Howard, author of the best-selling Ross O’Carroll Kelly series, will visit Mary Immaculate College next week. The writer of The Oh My God Delusion, which won the Best Popular Fiction Award in the 2010 Bord Gais Irish Book Awards, will visit the Lime Tree Theatre, the College’s new 500-seat auditorium, on Thursday, 31 March at 3pm sharp!
    During his visit, Mr Howard will treat the audience to two readings of his work and a rare opportunity to engage with him in a questions and answers session, followed by a book signing.
    The fictional wealthy D4 rugby jock character, Ross O’Carroll Kelly, first appeared in a January 1998 column in the Sunday Tribune newspaper and later transferred to The Irish Times. The Oh My God Delusion is the fifth Ross O’Carroll-Kelly book to be shortlisted for an Irish Book Award and the second to win, following the success of Should Have Got Off At Sydney Parade in the same category in 2007. The series comprises ten novels, two plays, a CD, two other books and the newspaper column.
    Howard distances himself from his protagonist's viewpoint by describing himself as being "as working class as curry sauce, processed cheese slices and borrowing money from the credit union." (Irish Independent, 31 August, 2007).
    This special appearance, thanks to the initiative of Clare Gorman, Louise Brett and Rory Feehan, three postgraduate students with the Department of English Language & Literature at MIC, will be open to the public, free of charge.

Advertisement