Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

dambarude wrote: »
    Ní fheicimse aon údar darb ainm 'Insect Overlord' nó 'Ardtiarna Feithide'...

É sin ráite, nílim ach ar lth 6 go fóill :p.

Maith thú.

Tomás is ainm dó :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'm hoping to be doing Liberal Arts in 2 years and I was wondering is it true there's a crazy ratio of women to lads in Mary I?
    Or is it just an assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

13spanner wrote: »
    I'm hoping to be doing Liberal Arts in 2 years and I was wondering is it true there's a crazy ratio of women to lads in Mary I?
    Or is it just an assumption?

Never heard it put quite like that before but I see where you are coming from. And yes is the answer to your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I thought there were a lot more men when I was in first year. The ratio isn't that crazy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I thought there were a lot more men when I was in first year. The ratio isn't that crazy :rolleyes:

Maybe not as "crazy" for the Arts students. In my year (students who graduated last year in B. Ed.) 17% of the students were men. I know because I went through all the students first names one Saturday night I wanted to do something relaxing just before an exam. ;)

• Advertisement

lighthouse wrote: »
    Maybe not as "crazy" for the Arts students. In my year (students who graduated last year in B. Ed.) 17% of the students were men. I know because I went through all the students first names one Saturday night I wanted to do something relaxing just before an exam. ;)

I'm not an Arts student :) I meant the general college atmosphere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

lighthouse wrote: »

When lighthouse and I started in Mary I (September 2007) the ratio of men to women in the B.Ed was about 1:8.5. It wasn't a defining factor though, at least not for me. I made some great friends in the last four years.
    I'm not an Arts student :) I meant the general college atmosphere.

The general college atmosphere has probably changed a bit with the new building and everything, but it's definitely on the positive side.

I made an awful mistake in first year. Living in Limerick anyway, I continued training most nights of the week with local GAA and soccer teams. I should have joined more college clubs and societies. Life could have been so much better... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

General college atmosphere is really friendly, probably because you get to know loads of people very quickly..!

Anyone go to the Summer Daze party in Angel Lane on Thurday night. I was there myself and I can safely say that a swimming pool + lots of drunk people + sand = complete mess. Had an absolute great time regardless..:D
    It was quite funny when the swimming pool started leaking through the floor down to the first floor.. :p

Can anyone help me? Trying to top up my print card to print off my dissertation tomorrow but can't log in =/

I tried with username M0123456 and tried Micstudent/firstname.surname but neither are working. It's not my password because it's working for the LAN and email.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

Can anyone help me? Trying to top up my print card to print off my dissertation tomorrow but can't log in =/

I tried with username M0123456 and tried Micstudent/firstname.surname but neither are working. It's not my password because it's working for the LAN and email.

Just use firstname.surname and then the password you use to log onto the LAN

• Advertisement

Thank you :) Every little thing is panicking me now 'til I get the damn thing handed in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone else think the college opening hours are a joke this week?

5 o'clock closing for both the library and the computer rooms.

So much for 'study' week anyway.

Anyone know what the craic is with grad ball tickets? I'm really being put out with this buying it on the Tues/Wed and again on the Friday. I'm only driving up for exams and haven't one any of these days :(

Can I not get one of the lads to get it for me? Surely they're keeping track of names to ensure noone buys two, or putting names on the tickets or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Anyone know what the craic is with grad ball tickets

I've mentioned it to the grad committee, and its being discussed.
    I'll let you know when I know...it does seem a bit crazy to send you all the way up just for a ticket.
    Would you be able to give your card to a friend, if they were allowed to buy your ticket?

I've mentioned it to the grad committee, and its being discussed.
    I'll let you know when I know...it does seem a bit crazy to send you all the way up just for a ticket.
    Would you be able to give your card to a friend, if they were allowed to buy your ticket?

Should be able to sort something out. I'm not the only one in this position, I've only discussed it with one friend and she has the same problem. I think if ye even just kept a list of names of people who had bought them from each course?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

@boomkatalog
    Did you email the committee and get an official reply back?
    For those of you that can't make it into college to buy a ticket just send us a mail on this, or email gradballmic@gmail.com and we'll try make arrangements

Also taken from the grad ball facebook page:
    tickets for the ball go on sale on a one ticket per final year student basis on Tuesday 3rd of May at 1.00pm and Wednesday 4th of May at 1.00pm in the student lounge. Remaining tickets will be available for final year students to purchase a second ticket for their partners on Friday the 6th of May at 9.30am in the student lounge. Tickets are €45 (Down €5 on last years prices) Best of luck with the study! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

'What's the LAN?' seems to have been replaced with 'Where's the LAN?' on the MISU Facebook page!

Is it really that faulty?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'm 5th year now, looking at doing Arts in Mary I and secondary teaching after that. I've been talking to teachers and people I know and they seem to say Irish teaching is the way to go as you're almost guaranteed to get a job closer to home. Irish wouldn't be my fave subject, but I'm good at it all the same. What I want to know is would it be worth doing Irish just so I'd be more likely to get a job? I'd probably be doing English, Geo and maybe history aswell. Any opinions or thoughts?
    (ps Mary I badly needs its own forum!)
    Thanks,
    13spanner

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm 5th year now, looking at doing Arts in Mary I and secondary teaching after that. I've been talking to teachers and people I know and they seem to say Irish teaching is the way to go as you're almost guaranteed to get a job closer to home. Irish wouldn't be my fave subject, but I'm good at it all the same. What I want to know is would it be worth doing Irish just so I'd be more likely to get a job? I'd probably be doing English, Geo and maybe history aswell. Any opinions or thoughts?
    Thanks,
    13spanner

The Irish department is very strong in Mary I. There are some really great lecturers, and most of the modules are pretty interesting as well. I liked it so much I went back to do the MA sa Ghaeilge this year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Thanks,
    13spanner

I got an A in Irish in my Leaving Cert and was dead set on doing it in Mary I and getting a degree in it but I've found the Irish a lot more difficult to grasp in college mainly due to the fact, that lectures are all in Irish so it's hard to actually translate what they're saying if you don't know what they're saying in the firstplace and the way they just talk and expect you to take notes rather than put them on powerpoints etc.

Also, on one or two occasions when I've had problems and tried to ask lecturers, they insisted on speaking Irish to me...and while I could grasp a bit I wasn't able to completely understand them so my questions were wasted.
    All in all, I think there's a bit of arrogance to be found in Mary I's Irish department which has completely killed my interest in Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Thanks,
    13spanner

If you dont like Irish for leaving cert, id think about choosing it as a subject in college... I got an A at higher level in the Leaving Cert aswell and liked it in school, but I hated it in mary I and was delighted I could drop it after first year. Very tough if you havent got a good grasp of all the ins and outs of Irish grammar. Didn't find it all that relevant to teaching Irish either.

wivy wrote: »
    Very tough if you havent got a good grasp of all the ins and outs of Irish grammar. Didn't find it all that relevant to teaching Irish either.

Seriously? How do people think they can teach the language properly when they can't even use it themselves?

In fairness I'd say Wivy was talking about the literature aspect of Gaeilge Acadúíl in first year - Caoineadh Airt Uí Laoghaire and An Fear a Phléasc and the likes.

You're right about the grammar though - it's amazing how little some prospective teachers know about, and even worse, care about it. There's an awful lot of 'shur it's too hard, I won't even bother' going on.

dambarude wrote: »
    In fairness I'd say Wivy was talking about the literature aspect of Gaeilge Acadúíl in first year - Caoineadh Airt Uí Laoghaire and An Fear a Phléasc and the likes.

Very good point! Some of those short stories are mad altogether.

Caoineadh Airt Uí Laoghaire is actually a very enjoyable read though. There was a severe shortage of the book when I was in first year so I had to rely on photocopies and lecture notes to study it. Couldn't get into it at all. I bought a copy in An Siopa earlier this year and read it all in one go. If only I'd done that before my first year exams! :D

Very good point! Some of those short stories are mad altogether.

Caoineadh Airt Uí Laoghaire is actually a very enjoyable read though. There was a severe shortage of the book when I was in first year so I had to rely on photocopies and lecture notes to study it. Couldn't get into it at all. I bought a copy in An Siopa earlier this year and read it all in one go. If only I'd done that before my first year exams! :D

I really enjoyed the stories in An Fear a Phléasc... I must read the ones we didn't study at some point.

I can't agree on Caoineadh Airt Uí Laoghaire though, while the whole thing seemed fairly interesting I couldn't make head nor tail of it at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

has anyone done french? thinking of taking it in first year in sept.

edit: brilliant avatar insect overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

I didn't do French but I did hear that it is very difficult in second year...focuses on Fench philosophy apparently and not so much on the acutal language.

Best of luck in your studies in Mary I!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

sugajay wrote: »
    I didn't do French but I did hear that it is very difficult in second year...focuses on Fench philosophy apparently and not so much on the acutal language.

Best of luck in your studies in Mary I!

Thanks. French philosophy? Ouch :mad: Philosophy in English is bad enough

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Just finished 4 years in Mary I... Time really flies!

So what's this "real world" malarkey all about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Just finished 4 years in Mary I... Time really flies!

So what's this "real world" malarkey all about?
    Basically you go from school and sell your internal organs in the hope of 2 days of work. It's great craic altogether!

Advertisement