Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

wivy wrote: »
    when you log into your results on the ul website go to student transcript and print it out! thatl do the trick!

That should indeed work. Student Services should also be able to send you out an official one for free if you give them a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

was told we were starting (1st year) on 5th september (monday) but i see orientation for arts was a wednesday last september. could we start midweek or is the 5th september a general date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

When you recheck a paper, surely it's not the lecturer who originally graded it rechecking?

I'm planning on getting a recheck and I know for sure if it is the same lecturer, the grade won't budge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

When you recheck a paper, surely it's not the lecturer who originally graded it rechecking?
    It is, but if you're unhappy with the result you can appeal to the head of the department. Unfortunately I don't think that would lead to any changes either though...

dambarude wrote: »
    It is, but if you're unhappy with the result you can appeal to the head of the department. Unfortunately I don't think that would lead to any changes either though...

But that's ridiculous, I know this lecturer won't be changing my grade but I want a second opinion. Besides, I don't think we have a head of dept. but if we do, it might be that same lecturer! Have I know options then??

• Advertisement

McSween wrote: »
    was told we were starting (1st year) on 5th september (monday) but i see orientation for arts was a wednesday last september. could we start midweek or is the 5th september a general date.

Hi McSween

The 5th of Sept 2011 is the first day of the academic year (start of classes), Orientation will be over since the week before. Hope this clears up some confusion

Thanks MISU. I will have to keep the previous week free then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 meow_bubble

anybody have any info on accommodation at alphonsus court? please and thank you :)

It looks to me like the end of the B.Ed Psych is nigh despite what lecturers are saying!

Looking at this document from the Teaching Council it would seem so anyway. It stipulates that 'discretionary time' (ie. non-education subjects) should only be 20% of accredited degrees, and that this discretionary time should be relevant to teaching.

Arts subjects in the B.Ed probably won't be able to continue as they are either. The policy specifically says:
    The Council regards all areas of study ... as academic studies and believes the current practice of dividing and designating studies as being “academic” or “education” should be discontinued.

If this is followed through there are major changes in store for nearly all of the courses in Mary I. The BA is significantly propped up by B.Ed students so any change to the B.Ed will have a big impact on the BA.

Opinions?

meant to ask. is orientation just for one day? and when will we know which day is set for liberal arts?

• Advertisement

McSween wrote: »
    meant to ask. is orientation just for one day? and when will we know which day is set for liberal arts?

The Orientation schedule has yet to be confirmed but last year it was always spread over three days.

MISU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What are the library opening hours for the summer?

Thanks

Library open from 9.30am-5pm during the Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NewNewBird

anybody have any info on accommodation at alphonsus court? please and thank you :)

I lived in Alphonsus in the year just passed as a first year and its a really nice place to live. The apartments are pretty luxurious for student accomodation everything in them is brand new. For that reason they are a bit more expensive for the year than City Campus but its definitely worth it if you like your home comforts.
    Only complaint i could have with the place is the management is the same one as is over Ashdown, Clontarf and Hartstongate so if you do have a problem you really need to keep on top of them to resolve it but because the apartments are so new problems are pretty minimal. Its understandable as they do have so many properties but the upside to that is you wont be hassled at by management at all!! :)
    Theres only 11 apartments so its a small complex, you wont have as many people around as you would in City Campus or Ashdown but any of us in Alphonsus became very close and I made great friends there. Its alot quieter so its easier to keep on top of college work and City Campus is only five minutes up the road if you do get bored!! Also in Alphonsus your less than a ten minute walk to town while still being so close to college so its the best if both worlds!! Let me know if you need anymore info!!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Is the ball on in the same building with two different rooms? That's so stupid!

It's four rooms... :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's four rooms... :rolleyes:

The past called, they'd like their reply back!

Hey I stopped being a student in May, I don't have time for boardsing any more :(

mario_brothers_mushroom_extra_life_i_dont_wanna_grow_up_funny_video_game_shirt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Hey I stopped being a student in May, I don't have time for boardsing any more :(

love it! haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

Hey,
    I'll be heading into second year in Sept in the B Ed.
    Would love to keep on Irish but I'm in no way liofa?!

What advice would you have, is it wiser to stick to the main stay - History?

Do you mind having to do Gaeilge Ghairmiúil if you don't do Academic Irish?

• Advertisement

No I don't mind having to do Gaeilge Gairmiuil at all, I was thinking that I may as well do Irish as the academic subject. Is there much of a difference between the two of them? Otherwise which other subject would you suggest, History? Is it all essays for History, or Geography, what kind of assessment is on there.

Is there much of a difference between the two of them? Otherwise which other subject would you suggest, History? Is it all essays for History, or Geography, what kind of assessment is on there.

There's a massive difference between Gaeilge Ghair and Gaeilge Acadúil. Gaeilge Ghair would just be two half-weighted modules in each semester of 2nd year, and looks only at grammar and oral Irish. That is, the Irish you need to teach (though whether that's covered very well is another story). There might be a bit of story telling/drama for primary school too, I don't know if it's changed much because it just changed this year.

Gaeilge Acadúil, from what I've heard from people doing it, consists of mostly literature, but they do a lot of grammar/oral too in ceardlanna teanga. There's another user here who should be able to fill you in more on it hopefully.

Do you actually like Irish? Do you mind having two modules of Irish each semester from here on in? Would it have a bad or good effect on your QCA? (going on how you've done in first year?)

I know next to nothing about History and Geography unfortunately!

so is there no gaeilge gairm in third year

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

so is there no gaeilge gairm in third year

Yup!

I did Gaeilge Acadúil with the B.Ed for 2nd and 3rd year and loved it, so I can tell you more about it if you like.

Insect overlord I would love some more info on it. I have a tiny little gra for the teanga but is fuath liom filiocht srl. As I said I'm not a fluent speaker by any means but I really would love it cuz I've worked so hard to get even this far. As it stands it is the lowest grade I have (C1) so I'm a bit worried about it dragging down my QCA. Does it get easier - I think that you'd have to put in the work for any subject to get the grades, and with some of the others it can be very subjective i.e. history essays? Is there another stint in the Gaeltacht? Will it kill all the love I have left for the language? What kind of assessments are involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I see that the barrier machines (albeit still barrier-less) have been installed in the once free student car park. :(

So much for the online petition so... But in fairness it doesn't seem to have by that many.

I don't have a car so it doesn't affect me, but I wonder who thought that it would be a good idea not to leave any free parking at all. There'll be even more clogging the road by Scotts now I imagine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Good news, but not great news really, is it? Can't help but feel it misses the point a bit.

I guess I can finally drop the signature now at least...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's great news! They're taking a much more strict line on when to make new forums, so I'm delighted we got through in some form. One or two forums I was sure were shoe-ins got turned down recently, so count you're blessings there young man!

IO, we've done well :D

PS: I joined boards.ie to +1 the original forum request. When I was in first year. Then I found the GH&RB forum :P

Advertisement