Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    It's great news! They're taking a much more strict line on when to make new forums, so I'm delighted we got through in some form. One or two forums I was sure were shoe-ins got turned down recently, so count you're blessings there young man!

If that's the case I'll admit you're probably right.

Here's to the new forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Finally :) It will be very handy to have but I can't help feel it'll just be a bit messy. :P

God im never happy :P

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hey folks

Can anyone in the know clarify what is going on and where our forum will be? We have 3000 copies of our new student diary going to print very soon and we don't want to have the wrong details for Boards as that would be a bit of a nightmare?:eek:

Is it just us or would anyone else be disappointed if we were lumped into another sub forum :confused: fingers crossed we get our own :D:cool:

Is it just us or would anyone else be disappointed if we were lumped into another sub forum :confused: fingers crossed we get our own :D:cool:

I don't think we'll be getting our own anytime soon. The idea of a general Teacher Training forum came up here, and most agreed that for Mary I it wouldn't work. The whole point of Mary I forum would be that it's about everything in Mary I, including Arts and postgrad courses and other misc things. Will anything to do with a Masters in Geography for example be automatically deemed off topic in this new forum?

I can't help but feel that we'll end up as another long sticky, just at a new address. The Teaching & Lecturing forum gets lots of general questions on teacher training (primary and secondary), and these will likely be shifted into the new forum. That, along with threads on secondary PGDEs, Hibernia, Pats and maybe a few other really long threads will prob make up the forum. Not really what we were aiming for, was it?

As it stands I'm guessing the student diary should direct students to the 'Teacher Training' forum on Boards? I don't know if it will be a subforum of the Teaching and Lecturing forum (which would dilute it even further I think).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

^All good points. If my understanding of the new forum requests rules is accurate, then it'll be six months before there's even a review of the situation. I'd say the best bet for the student diaries is to just include the Boards logo, and say "search Boards.ie for MICL/MISU". Any relevant threads can be tagged with key-words to make them easier to find.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Also, we can ask for tags for thread like we have in Christmas. That way Mary I, Pats, Teaching, can have colour coded tags. It might make things a bit clearer.

Dibs on blue tags!

If we leave all our literature saying we can be found under the UL forum would this be correct i.e: will we still be visible there.

Just a bit of a concern for us because if we advertise the teacher training forum aspect only it will alienate half the student population.

We kind of need to do them both if we're doing anything at all.

Also where is this MICL place?:p

It harks back to the days when the college was called 'Mary Immaculate Teacher Training College'.

I wouldn't think advertising the thread under the UL forum would be a good idea. Could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Also where is this MICL place?:p

I did a week's work experience in Mary I when I was in Transition Year, and they had the MICL initials (Mary Immaculate College Limerick, for anyone who hadn't worked it out :p ) on everything! Footballs, sports bottles, posters, notices, everywhere!

How soon do you have to go live with the student diaries?

• Advertisement

Your right in the sense that MICL was used by Sports teams, but outside of that it was never used on a college wide basis. Once upon a time Mary I was known as MICE (Mary Immaculate College of Education) - Imagine :D

That's all beside the issue though, our main concerns are possibly loosing the Arts and Post Grads from the boards forums if we're in a teacher training forum and secondly the fact remains the college is not known as or branded as MICL which may confuse any outsiders/potential students :confused:

If someone branded us as MISUL we'd be very upset :(;)

Diary is being proof read at the moment (looks great) and is going to print next week! (and then the SU staff can breathe a sigh of relief)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

Hello! :)
    I am hoping to head to Mary I in september , fingers crossed!
    but i am also hoping to head volunteering in belarus for a week in November, i was just wondering do ye think this would be possible? or is the last week of November an important time?

According to this the last week in November would be study week, the week before exams. So it wouldn't be an ideal time (well I wouldn't like to be going away during it anyway!).

Sorry to double post but I just realised that if you search for the forum 'Teacher Training', it's already there ;)
    2aaajww.png

I thought it best not to post, I'm guessing we're not meant to be able to see it!

Yeah, they do that with a lot of forums, make them and put em on hidden til they're ready to reveal them. Things like mods and charters have to be worked out first. Patience young Dambarude!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Yeah, they do that with a lot of forums, make them and put em on hidden til they're ready to reveal them. Things like mods and charters have to be worked out first. Patience young Dambarude!

We've been posting in there anyway... >_>

<_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Your right in the sense that MICL was used by Sports teams, but outside of that it was never used on a college wide basis. Once upon a time Mary I was known as MICE (Mary Immaculate College of Education) - Imagine :D

That's all beside the issue though, our main concerns are possibly loosing the Arts and Post Grads from the boards forums if we're in a teacher training forum and secondly the fact remains the college is not known as or branded as MICL which may confuse any outsiders/potential students :confused:

If someone branded us as MISUL we'd be very upset :(;)

Diary is being proof read at the moment (looks great) and is going to print next week! (and then the SU staff can breathe a sigh of relief)

And ECCE! :D

Delighted to see you all make that valid point, having spent four years reminding people that I was part of Mary I student body too, and no less valid than those doing the B.Ed, it's great to see that you all wish to include everybody :) Hopefully that will happen, we don't need to be forgotten about any more than we already are (that goes for Arts, postgrads and B.Ed & Psych too).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

dambarude wrote: »
    According to this the last week in November would be study week, the week before exams. So it wouldn't be an ideal time (well I wouldn't like to be going away during it anyway!).

god thanks for telling me that, i definitely would have applied for it if i didnt know!

Im also wondering about accommodation? i know there's city campus, courtbrack and ashdown...but which is best?

If you search through this thread there are specific posts on Ashdown and Courtbrack. I've never lived in City Campus so somebody else might take that up... If you don't get a reply I'll let you know what I do know about it:)

And EDIT:
    D4RK ONION wrote:
    Patience young Dambarude!
    I'm neither young nor impatient:D

Another visit to the secret invisible forum reveals a lot;)

• Advertisement

How come MIC don't do HDips?

I'm guessing you mean PGDEs? (Secondary HDips). They do do Primary HDips.

I suppose they just don't offer them, they've always focused on Primary Ed.

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations on becoming the mod of the new forum (I think?)

Thanks! haha

I didnt even realise that til you said it. :eek:

Don't remember wanting to be a mod? :confused: :P

You're joking, right???

Nope :P

Well done then. I'll be honest, I was expecting one of the other two emboldened names to be made mod!

If no one asked you about it, then it's probably a glitch or something. If not I'll congrat you elsewhere. :)

The college has updated the website format (but not the website content) at last. There's loads of 404 errors and empty links as yet but it looks much better than the old one.

Yes! Don't have to see Daithi O'Sé's face everytime I go on the site anymore. :D

• Advertisement

Yes! Don't have to see Daithi O'Sé's face everytime I go on the site anymore. :D

:eek: We have a winner for best site improvement 2011!

Advertisement