Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andybertson

Hi folks, anyone know what date classes start for B.Ed first year?
    I need to give 3 weeks notice to job and need an approximate date.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hi folks, anyone know what date classes start for B.Ed first year?
    I need to give 3 weeks notice to job and need an approximate date.

Thanks in advance.

Classes start the 5th of September but you'll have orientation for two days the week before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andybertson

Thanks very much Shamrock, looks like the notice will have to be handed in today!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

A lovely letter looking for €2163 has just arrived from the college.

It's actually ridiculous. I thought colleges were meant to allow the registration fee to be paid in two instalments? (One in Sept and one in Jan). Well that's what Ruairí Quinn's meant to have asked for anyway. Why isn't Mary I following this?

The organisational wonders of the college are shown once again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    :eek: We have a winner for best site improvement 2011!

The site was rife yesterday with spelling errors and out-of-date information about various departments. I think it was down for a few hours this morning to correct some of the mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The site was rife yesterday with spelling errors and out-of-date information about various departments. I think it was down for a few hours this morning to correct some of the mistakes.

College of teaching and the arts in awful spelling scandal :P I meant the fact I didn't have to look at him was joyus!

In other news, the forum is now visible under the edu bar but still no mods to put up a charter. Shall myself or yourself shoot um an old PM?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    In other news, the forum is now visible under the edu bar but still no mods to put up a charter. Shall myself or yourself shoot um an old PM?

I'd say a copy-pasta of the Primary & Pre-School charter would cover most of what's needed there. Make a few edits to say what the forum is about and who it's for.

To be honest though, calling the forum Primary Teacher Training shows an awful lack of understanding on the Admins' part as to what people were actually seeking in the forum. That title only covers a fraction of what Mary I is about.

Also, the pre-fix idea will have to be implemented to make it run efficiently.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'd say a copy-pasta of the Primary & Pre-School charter would cover most of what's needed there. Make a few edits to say what the forum is about and who it's for.

To be honest though, calling the forum Primary Teacher Training shows an awful lack of understanding on the Admins' part as to what people were actually seeking in the forum. That title only covers a fraction of what Mary I is about.

Also, the pre-fix idea will have to be implemented to make it run efficiently.

Very true, I imagine it'll be pretty annoying for Arts students and ECCE students (omgIrememberedThem!) never mind the masters students etc. I doubt they'll go back on it and change it to Mary I though.

Colleges of Education might be a more appropriate title.

How do the prefixes actually work when you're starting a thread? Do they have to be appended afterwards?

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »
    How do the prefixes actually work when you're starting a thread? Do they have to be appended afterwards?

You get an extra box in the "new thread" screen, like this in Soccer:

170105.jpg

I should really have put a border around that image...

Looks good, more straightforward than I thought. It should help, but it'll still be messy I'd say.

Poxyshamrock is fairly well clued in. Good moderating early on (and helpful posting by the likes of you and me!) should get the forum running smoothly. :)

Forever optimistic! :D

Is Poxshamrock still in the college? (Are you there Poxyshamrock?!)

Don't worry! Im still here and will be for a while! Hopefully heading into second year in September (fingers crossed exams go well).

Tbh, I don't like the new forum :P seems too impersonal :P

Which course are you doing Poxy?

I'm finding this new forum very confusing... it appears out of nowhere with a less than appropriate name, then it's mod is appointed without any notification, and it seems to be hanging in limbo for ages. What's going on at all?!

Arts so the forum is in a way of no relevance to me :P
    Yeah it seems to be a bit of rushed job! Probably giving us an amateur forum on purpose so we won't use it and then they can say they gave us one and it wasn't utilised!

I'd have said the opposite of rushed! It's been in its Narnia state for ages now.

Maybe they're reconsidering their decision and we'll get a sparkling new Mary I forum?!

EDIT: And given you're doing Arts it is slightly odd, given the forum's name!

The D4RK one persuaded me to pass on our accumulated feedback to the Admins earlier, and a few possibilities are being considered. Hopefully things will be updated soon. :)

Maybe someone could ask a UL mod to move this thread to the new forum?

Should we wait for the ribbon of the new forum to be cut before moving the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

The D4RK one persuaded me to pass on our accumulated feedback to the Admins earlier, and a few possibilities are being considered. Hopefully things will be updated soon. :)

Maybe someone could ask a UL mod to move this thread to the new forum?

Great stuff Insect passing on the feed back :) but can we ask the UL mods not to move this forum over please :)

As we said before by name alone the new forum has no relevance to over half the college community:( if this is left in the UL forum at least Mary I will still have a presence here for them.

One half of me is inclined to agree, but the other half isn't.

The nature of the new forum complicates things loads. If it happens that Mary I end up with just one or two long threads in the new forum, we would nearly be as well leaving the sticky where it is. We'd be no farther on than we are now.

That said, if we do manage to get Mary I tags it'll give more scope for directed discussion in the new forum. We won't have to leapfrog over other posts like we do in this thread. And if the name of the forum could be adapted a bit it mightn't feel so alien to the people doing courses other than primary teaching. Having a general discussion thread in two different forums wouldn't work though.

It depends really, I think we should wait until the forum is more officially launched until moving anything:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Hi all, just wondering if there have been any more murmurings regarding the post-grad going ahead in January? I havn't seen anything anywhere else myself..

macslash wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if there have been any more murmurings regarding the post-grad going ahead in January? I havn't seen anything anywhere else myself..

Somebody's up late ;)

Given all the talk of extending the postgrad to two years it would seem that it will nearly certainly go ahead:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I am a bit of a late bird lately...:)

That's good! But there has been nothing official stated has there??

Also, just wondering exactly how hard the irish interview for the post grad in to MaryI is? If anybody has any idea's.. :/

Have a look at this. It's a link from educationposts (you may have to set up an account to view the page). There's lots there on the Irish and English interview. Check out the link in my sig if you want some Irish practise (as I've mentioned to you elsewhere:))

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Hey, I'm going into 3rd year arts so I'm on placement and wont be in college this year? Can I register the modules at home on www.si.ul.ie? Or do I need to be in the college?

You can do it from home during the first week as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Yeah, you can register new modules from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Yeah, you can register new modules from home.

How? Is it in Student Records? I can't seem to register yet?

Advertisement