Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You can't do it until the week of September 5th.

Good luck/well done to any first years to be who may be reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

Hi guys, I'm sitting repeats at the moment and todays one didnt go so well.. i've 2 more and if I get minimum c3s in the 3 I'll just scrape by first year b.ed with a qca of 2.1 .. I was just wondering that if today didnt go well and I dont get a c3, what options do I have then? Can I link in the module next year or would I have to repeat as my qca is not above 2 :(

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

tictac__x wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm sitting repeats at the moment and todays one didnt go so well.. i've 2 more and if I get minimum c3s in the 3 I'll just scrape by first year b.ed with a qca of 2.1 .. I was just wondering that if today didnt go well and I dont get a c3, what options do I have then? Can I link in the module next year or would I have to repeat as my qca is not above 2 :(

Hi tictac__x!

You can also receive a D1 or D2 in your repeats and progress to the following year as long as your QCA is at least 2.0. If not, there's a couple of scenarios that could pan out. You may just repeat the deficient modules, repeat an entire semester or repeat the year. It can vary from student to student.

MISU

The St. Pats crowd in the new forum are passing us out with their number of posters.:pac:

It's gone very quiet here lately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

I'm sure it'll pick up when business starts again..! Only something like 9 days till lectures resume...amazing how time flies.!

Just got my second year timetable and I have only one word to describe it: ROUGH. It's even making my reconsider my decision to keep on Maths academically.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

can i ask a question?? I'm going into second year lib arts and will be doing Psychology, I obviously have to do the Psych IT elective, do I also have to do the ordinary IT module as well?
    also do we do 1 or 2 electives in semester 1??
    thanks

angeldaisy wrote: »
    can i ask a question?? I'm going into second year lib arts and will be doing Psychology, I obviously have to do the Psych IT elective, do I also have to do the ordinary IT module as well?

They're the same thing. You'll do the same IT module that those who choose it as an elective will do in Semester 1.
    also do we do 1 or 2 electives in semester 1??
    You don't do any elective at all. You'll have three psychology modules (Dev Psych, IT in Psych (SPSS), & Personality and Ind Differences) plus two modules from your other Arts subject.

thanks - my timetable sucks this semester:(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

thanks - my timetable sucks this semester:(

Big change from the joys of first year I suppose..! :p

• Advertisement

yeah altho I guess most people would be delighted with it - my earliest start is 11am:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Heard rumours about a hot and cold deli going into the SU Shop? :D

Anyone know if this is true? :P

That'd be great if it was true, but where on earth would they fit it? They made a mistake in making An Siopa so small - it's mental in there at times.

That's what I was thinking but then again I haven't really been in Tara since May!

Not a fan of that building to be fair. A lot of missed opportunities if you ask me.

I saw the Tara building today when I was walking through the college.

Outside the Student Lounge sticky out bit was all cordoned off, and all white markings on the wall. I thought somebody had come in and graffitied it and it had been closed off for investigation! But no... I didn't stand round long enough to take a proper look at it, but it seems to be some art installation thing that's been carved into the stone. I'll reserve judgment til it's finished, but it didn't look that well to me today at all:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭McSween

starting arts on the 5th. what is the situation on foundation studies and IT? do we have to pick one or the other or both?

happy enough with the IT if so.

Unless it's changed, IT is part of the foundation studies module (so you do the two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭McSween

thanks mate. on a completely different note, is there a gym in there with treadmills etc?

McSween wrote: »
    thanks mate. on a completely different note, is there a gym in there with treadmills etc?

Yeah there's a small gym in the Tailteann building. There's also a decent gym at Punches Hotel which is located just off the SCRd

Would I be mad to attempt to do an extra elective in 2nd year. I'm doing Geog and Psych but would love to do An tSean Ghaeilge. Too much??

• Advertisement

Are you even allowed to do that? I've never heard of somebody taking an extra module...

Personally I'd say you ARE mad!:p

dambarude wrote: »
    Are you even allowed to do that? I've never heard of somebody taking an extra module...

Personally I'd say you ARE mad!:p

I think I read it somewhere that you can ask permission to do an extra mod. the only reason I was considering it this semester is that I will be doing IT and I find that really easy so there is no pressure really on me there.

think I'm going to cop myself on and just concentrate on what I'm doing!!

does anyone know if matures have to do the off campus prep?

Limerick library is an “irritant”, says college president

By Anne Sheridan
    Published on Tuesday 30 August 2011 10:58

A MAJOR €20m library is the next project in Mary Immaculate College’s ambitious capital budget plan, president Peadar Cremin said this week.

The college’s library is “completely inadequate” for the college’s needs and is an “irritant” to the student body, he said.

It has a capacity of less than 200 for its 3000 strong student body. It was built in the 1970s, when the student population was at just 750.

“We can’t have more than 190 people in the library at any one time due to health and safety guidelines. We have made a case on this to the Higher Education Authority, who have listened to us sympathetically,” he said.

But there is no commitment from the State to fund the proposed library at present.

Dr Cremin, who is stepping down from the Catholic education institute after 35 years of service, said the recent investment of €40m on two campus projects, Teamhair and Tara, are his proudest achievements.

“I feel I’ve virtually achieved all that I would have liked to achieve when I became president. I’m proudest of the level of achievement in the capital investment programme, because when I became president there hadn’t been any new buildings for a quarter of a century.

“It was imperative at that time that we got investment other we died,” he told the Limerick Leader.

But he warned third-level institutions “can no longer rely on the State for funding”, and said the college is constantly seeking philanthropists prepared to fund college initiatives.

In recent times, the college has bought a number of properties close to the campus on the South Circular Road, some of which were bought during the downturn to be used to develop research centres.

Dr Cremin, a native of Kerry, will retire this August 31. He was the first lay person to be appointed president of the college, after it was run for 101 years by the Order of the Sisters of Mercy. He said he is happy he’s leaving the college “in a very good place.” “In many ways it’s not a job at all, it’s a mission,” he said.

The college employs 500 people full-time and many more part-time, “making it one of the biggest industries” in Limerick city, though it is not often recognised as such, he said.

While the Adare resident has been appointed to chair numerous boards, he says he has no immediate plans for his retirement, but will assess his options again after six months. His successor will be professor Michael A Hayes, 53, a Limerick native at St Mary’s University College Hill in Twickenham, London.

Someday, hopefully! :rolleyes:

Anyone (i.e the like four people that use this :P) know how to find out if I certain modules for second year?

Anyone (i.e the like four people that use this :P) know how to find out if I certain modules for second year?

To find how to do what exactly with the modules?:D

dambarude wrote: »
    To find how to do what exactly with the modules?:D

Sorry I really shouldn't post in a rush! :P

What I mean to say is:

Can I check what 2nd year elective I got online somewhere or so I have to wait to see it in information alley?

Sorry, I don't know:o

Sorry I really shouldn't post in a rush! :P

What I mean to say is:

Can I check what 2nd year elective I got online somewhere or so I have to wait to see it in information alley?

I think that most of them were available from the arts office except for tefl and I think there's a draw on monday for that. I don't think you can find out on line.

It's a pity that TEFL comes down to a draw every year, it must be very disappointing for those who don't get it.

• Advertisement

The new Student Diary looks great, but there's loads of Irish typos in it that will drive certain people mad! Unfortunately three days of the week are spelled wrong, every week (Dé Deardaoin, dé h-Aoine, dé Domhnach):pac:

Advertisement