Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Sure good friday happened on a wednesday in last years diary :pac:

Gutted I'm not going back this week :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The queue outside Molly's was hilarious to watch tonight. ;)

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Would I be mad to attempt to do an extra elective in 2nd year. I'm doing Geog and Psych but would love to do An tSean Ghaeilge. Too much??

Yes you can take an extra module. All info is available in the student handbook page 3 section 2.3

dambarude wrote: »
    The new Student Diary looks great, but there's loads of Irish typos in it that will drive certain people mad! Unfortunately three days of the week are spelled wrong, every week (Dé Deardaoin, dé h-Aoine, dé Domhnach):pac:

shhhhh we have developed a psychological aversion to those particular days. There's a few English typo's in there as well! *cue the mad scramble to find them*, we don't discriminate here at MISU :) Thanks for the Diary praise btw.

All those missing Mary I, you're more than welcome to drop back and see us at any time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Just got the 2012-2013 prospectus in school today. Very impressive! :D Looking at Liberal Arts for the time being :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

13spanner wrote: »
    Just got the 2012-2013 prospectus in school today. Very impressive! :D Looking at Liberal Arts for the time being :)

Definitely go to the open days and a look around to see if you'd enjoy spending 3 years in the place!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

13spanner wrote: »

I'm on the cover. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

howdy mary i'ers, mature BA here, just a couple o q's on second year, i have my reasons :) , media and english in particular. how are these subjects in 2nd yr? couldnt find a course outline for media anywhere, and a booklist for media?
    thanks in advance
    hup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Definitely go to the open days and a look around to see if you'd enjoy spending 3 years in the place!
    Yeah the school is bringing 6th years to the 3 Limerick open days. I think that's on the 14th of October, not 100% sure. Really looking forward to it! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'm on the cover. ;)

Not in the same make-up as that avatar of yours I hope:p

• Advertisement

Not in the same make-up as that avatar of yours I hope:p

No, unfortunately not. :(

No, unfortunately not. :(

:eek:
    I don't know what to reply to that:o

:eek:
    I don't know what to reply to that:o

It would have been hilarious! :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Riiiight. Maybe we should get this thread moved to our new forum? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Riiiight. Maybe we should get this thread moved to our new forum? :P

Is anyone from Mary I really using it yet? I'll been lurking but not posting....cos, ya know, I post so often! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Is anyone from Mary I really using it yet? I'll been lurking but not posting....cos, ya know, I post so often! :rolleyes:

I use this occasionally, but I'm an arts student rather than ed
    Not sure where to even find the new forum???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I use this occasionally, but I'm an arts student rather than ed
    Not sure where to even find the new forum???

I'm arts too. I feel so unloved that it's in the Primary Teacher Training section. :D

It's under Edu. Teacher Training Colleges. I know it's near offensive for arts students, but we are working on getting the name changed. The admins aren't responding though :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    It's under Edu. Teacher Training Colleges. I know it's near offensive for arts students, but we are working on getting the name changed. The admins aren't responding though :/

Sounds about right.

it "almost" seems better to have one giant thread here... "almost"!

Remember that Mary I is *technically* a college of "Education and the Liberal Arts". It's thrown away the 'teacher training college' tag.

Try working that into the new forum name (as well as whatever banner names the other colleges use!) :p.

I'm beginning to think that this thread should be moved, as DO suggested. There's actually quite a lot going on in the new forum, though as I predicted it's nearly all about Irish C3 and postgrad queries.

• Advertisement

The name we've suggested is "Colleges of Education". I think that's a lot fairer to all degrees going on in 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Hey guys, just want to appeal to all those who may be browsing to take care after nights out. I've heard some news from my peers about minor attacks/incidents taking place after nightclubs during the week. I am in no way condoning Limerick, these things happen in every county.
    Just asking everyone to ensure that they get taxis home, it may cost a few euros but it sure is a lot cheaper than the cost of a medical bill. If you're walking home, don't walk it alone. :)

Hey guys, just want to appeal to all those who may be browsing to take care after nights out. I've heard some news from my peers about minor attacks/incidents taking place after nightclubs during the week. I am in no way condoning Limerick, these things happen in every county.
    Just asking everyone to ensure that they get taxis home, it may cost a few euros but it sure is a lot cheaper than the cost of a medical bill. If you're walking home, don't walk it alone. :)

We can echo that, btw all Mary I students have special rates with Tower Cabs, just call 061 444444 or 061 400044.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

When is the student lounge going to re-open? I'm beginning to miss my daily fix of fuseball.. :p

When is the student lounge going to re-open? I'm beginning to miss my daily fix of fuseball.. :p

We're hoping to have it open by next week. It's looking good.....NO MORE PLAIN CONCRETE WALLS :-) :-) :-)

Thanks for the patience everyone ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

We're hoping to have it open by next week. It's looking good.....NO MORE PLAIN CONCRETE WALLS :-) :-) :-)

Thanks for the patience everyone ;-)

Any chance of one of those jukeboxes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Remember that Mary I is *technically* a college of "Education and the Liberal Arts". It's thrown away the 'teacher training college' tag.
    I'm afraid it's headed back in that direction (even before the ex-President had the name of UL removed from the main entrance and all over the redesigned website).

They've just got the go-ahead to extend the B.Ed to four years and have taken it into their heads that the best way to improve literacy and numeracy in the schools is — wait for it — to strip out the Arts subject. So future B.Ed graduates will have a degree only in Education, not a joint honours degree as has been the case until now. Fúckwits. :rolleyes:

peckerhead wrote: »
    I'm afraid it's headed back in that direction (even before the ex-President had the name of UL removed from the main entrance and all over the redesigned website).

They've just got the go-ahead to extend the B.Ed to four years and have taken it into their heads that the best way to improve literacy and numeracy in the schools is — wait for it — to strip out the Arts subject. So future B.Ed graduates will have a degree only in Education, not a joint honours degree as has been the case until now. Fúckwits. :rolleyes:

None of that is at the discretion of the college though, in fairness. The push to remove the Arts subjects from the B.Ed is coming from the Department of E&S and from the Teaching Council.

Look at the submissions made by the various college departments on the Draft (as it was then) Literacy and Numeracy plan (from here) and you'll see that a lot of the staff would appear to be very wary of the changes that are being brought in. It's been mentioned by certain lecturers too - it's not their idea. Some lecturers are inevitably going to be in favour of it (as it should increase lecturing times in their areas), while others seems to be terrified of the idea (in the Arts faculty in particular). One education department that could be in the firing line is the one for Music, Visual Art, Drama and PE. They obviously don't agree either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 madigan94

anybody know if Mary I counts maths bonus points?

• Advertisement

As far as I know ALL third level colleges will be giving bonus points for Maths from next year on. I'm open to correction though.

Advertisement