Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 madigan94

that's what I thought but then someone told me it was only the universities.....then some one else said something about how Mary I counts as part of UL for the bonus points?!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Well Mary I degrees are awarded by UL, they're "academically linked". I'd doubt that the college won't follow the lead of the other institutions and offer the bonus points too.

That said, UL has always offered bonus Maths points (well in recent years anyway). I was awarded bonus maths points for the course I had put down there (I had it number 4), but normal points for my application to Mary I. I know this because you get a list from the CAO telling you how many points you had in your application for each course on your list. So Mary I isn't bound by UL's admission policy in every aspect (it seems not to be anyway).

Your best bet is to get on to the Admissions Office. If you ring reception at 061204300 you can be put through to somebody who can answer your question (I think Admissions is based in the Student Services office).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

dambarude wrote: »
    None of that is at the discretion of the college though, in fairness. The push to remove the Arts subjects from the B.Ed is coming from the Department of E&S and from the Teaching Council.
    Mostly the latter. Another quango appointed by a discredited administration, and probably soon to go the way of their UK counterparts. But not before they hobble the B.Ed degree so that it produces a generation of one-trick horses for the most abysmal job market in decades. :(

peckerhead wrote: »
    Mostly the latter. Another quango appointed by a discredited administration, and probably soon to go the way of their UK counterparts. But not before they hobble the B.Ed degree so that it produces a generation of one-trick horses for the most abysmal job market in decades. :(

I'm guessing you're a teacher and ex-Mary I student?

Worse than that... ;)

• Advertisement

peckerhead wrote: »
    Worse than that... ;)

All I can respond with is

:confused:

More info required!

EDIT: You're not a lecturer are you?! :eek:

Parent of a B.Ed student, and you can go straight to the principal's office with your impertinence, young man. :pac:

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

madigan94 wrote: »
    anybody know if Mary I counts maths bonus points?

Hi Madigan94,

Just to confirm that Mary I does indeed offer bonus points for Maths.

MISU

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

Hi

I've been off college for the last few days cuz I've been sick. I know that you can only miss a certain number of certain classes. How and where do I have to hand in my sick cert to make sure that I don't end up failing cuz i missed too many classes?

Hi

I've been off college for the last few days cuz I've been sick. I know that you can only miss a certain number of certain classes. How and where do I have to hand in my sick cert to make sure that I don't end up failing cuz i missed too many classes?

Just drop straight up to the Education Office(third floor of old building) once you get back in and they will set you on the right path. Get well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Sorry to be repeating a question that's surely been asked to death buuuut...

Its around this time they announce about the primary postgrad right? Octoberish? And where will it be, on Mary I's website or on a website for all the colleges involved?

It should go up on the website, it did last year anyway. But they might know for a while before it actually appears on the page.

I can't remember if it was last year or the year before, but one year it wasn't announced until December. The same could happen again.

Oh god I can't wait any longer D:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I tried the education office a few weeks ago and they said they wouldn't know until October at the earliest...So god knows when..

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

On a positive note, credit where credit is due on the Student Lounge, actually feels like somewhere I'd actually like to go now during an hour off. The room surprisingly feels slightly larger too, must be the kick ass lick of paint in the room... :pac:

Can anyone let me know what the craic is with graduation? I've had to book of both days as I'm still not 100% sure of what day I'm actually graduating! Friends of mine on the course have called up the college numerous times and been told it hadn't been decided yet.

Also, how many people can we bring? I heard 3?

Can anyone let me know what the craic is with graduation? I've had to book of both days as I'm still not 100% sure of what day I'm actually graduating! Friends of mine on the course have called up the college numerous times and been told it hadn't been decided yet.

Also, how many people can we bring? I heard 3?

All info will be available here from tomorrow evening http://www.mic.ul.ie/graduation2011/Pages/default.aspx

Arts Students always graduate on the Thursday and Education on the Friday.

Hope this helps

Thank you :)

Where it says "Graduates will be issued 3 tickets" I presume that means for 3 guests? Not including one for ourselves?

Edit: Just found the answer in the FAQ section of the website. God, when did I become one of those people? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mojorex

Hi just wondering again there what password and username you use for the internet in the library?
    Oh and for the graduation day will there be jobs for 2nd yrs to give out food and stuff?

mojorex wrote: »
    Hi just wondering again there what password and username you use for the internet in the library?
    Oh and for the graduation day will there be jobs for 2nd yrs to give out food and stuff?

In terms of the Library, you should be able to log in to the Student network by using your name and password that you use when logging on to any of the College computers.

In relation to working for Graduation Day, the jobs with Maintenance have been filled. However, Student Services and the Canteen may still need people but we have yet to hear. Keep an eye on out website as we will be putting up a notice about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Reading the first few pages of this has made me doubt wanting to head here in September! :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

M&S* wrote: »
    Reading the first few pages of this has made me doubt wanting to head here in September! :(

Don't pay too much attention to me or D4RK ONION. We were a quare pair in the college, we complained about everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

My biggest fear about going to college is hating the place! :o

Its genuinely a lovely college, you grow to love some of the little quirks around the place and in other cases develop quite a hate for others (the crucifix right outside the TARA building is something that continuously sends shivers down my spine...:p)

Regarding the TARA, what's with the new artwork in the form of ladders along the really long corridor. Part of an escape plan maybe but they seem quite out of place.. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Don't pay too much attention to me or D4RK ONION. We were a quare pair in the college, we complained about everything!

Are you kidding me? I'm filled with nothing but love and joy and giving!! <333333 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Its genuinely a lovely college, you grow to love some of the little quirks around the place and in other cases develop quite a hate for others (the crucifix right outside the TARA building is something that continuously sends shivers down my spine...:p)

Regarding the TARA, what's with the new artwork in the form of ladders along the really long corridor. Part of an escape plan maybe but they seem quite out of place.. :pac:

Yeah I wish they'd stop wasting money on this rubbish! Theres one hanging from those caged floor things on the 3rd floor! Kinda creepy looking!

Yeah I wish they'd stop wasting money on this rubbish! Theres one hanging from those caged floor things on the 3rd floor! Kinda creepy looking!

Can't wait to see what these look like when back on campus. Is there any religious metaphor behind them?! (There usually is:P)

There's posts in this thread somewhere about the amount being spent by the college on artwork for the new building, and on how much one piece by Imogen Stuart cost. It's way over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

dambarude wrote: »
    Can't wait to see what these look like when back on campus. Is there any religious metaphor behind them?! (There usually is:P)

There's posts in this thread somewhere about the amount being spent by the college on artwork for the new building, and on how much one piece by Imogen Stuart cost. It's way over the top.

Yeah each rung on these ladders has religious words!

I know Peadar was a big fan of Imogen Stuart but now that he's gone there may be a few changes!

Yeah each rung on these ladders has religious words!
    I wasn't being serious ... You're joking right? Surely.
    I know Peadar was a big fan of Imogen Stuart but now that he's gone there may be a few changes!
    Well the new president is an expert in Theology/Pastoral studies so the nature of the artwork might not change!

• Advertisement

There's not one single piece of artwork in the college without some kind of religious metaphor involved. Sometimes I feel like its being rammed down my throat slightly, its hard to ignore too with the countless works featured in every corner of the college.

Sometimes you'd nearly think that the college was a feckin art gallery...

Advertisement