Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Oh look, it's "reasons I hate Mary I". Where have you been this last year? My friend "Rose tinted glasses" has been keeping me company. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

There's not one single piece of artwork in the college without some kind of religious metaphor involved. Sometimes I feel like its being rammed down my throat slightly, its hard to ignore too with the countless works featured in every corner of the college.

Sometimes you'd nearly think that the college was a feckin art gallery...

Gowl.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

CaoimH_in, cut it out, personal abuse is not tolerated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Just a bit of personal opinion..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Quick question for the SU.

I've already put my name and details in for the Grinds File on www.misu.ie, no worries there. Is there any other way I could advertise my services in the college?

I have vague memories of seeing pages up on notice boards, usually with the MISU stamp on them, so I was wondering if that was still the done thing.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Quick question for the SU.

I've already put my name and details in for the Grinds File on www.misu.ie, no worries there. Is there any other way I could advertise my services in the college?

I have vague memories of seeing pages up on notice boards, usually with the MISU stamp on them, so I was wondering if that was still the done thing.

There's no problems with this at all. Just put the details on some shape of a poster, bring it down to us to get stamped and then you can put it up around college.

Peteee wrote: »
    CaoimH_in, cut it out, personal abuse is not tolerated here.

Apologies of course, I regretted that post fairly quickly. The only thing I can say is that it was certainly meant playfully.
    There's not one single piece of artwork in the college without some kind of religious metaphor involved. Sometimes I feel like its being rammed down my throat slightly, its hard to ignore too with the countless works featured in every corner of the college.

Sometimes you'd nearly think that the college was a feckin art gallery...

'rammed down my throat slightly' is, if I'm not mistaken, an oxymoron, to start.

Forgetting that, you attend Mary Immaculate College; why do you think, firstly, artwork is out of place in a college and, secondly, religious artwork is out of place in a Christian theological college? Surely to be a student of a college it is fundamental for you to be able to learn to appreciate art? Also, you can appreciate religious artwork without yourself being of a religion. The bible is one of the fundamental world texts and has influenced countless contemporary documents; it'd be useful to have some of it known. Your entire argument is pretty naive, it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Forgetting that, you attend Mary Immaculate College; why do you think, firstly, artwork is out of place in a college and, secondly, religious artwork is out of place in a Christian theological college? Surely to be a student of a college it is fundamental for you to be able to learn to appreciate art? Also, you can appreciate religious artwork without yourself being of a religion. The bible is one of the fundamental world texts and has influenced countless contemporary documents; it'd be useful to have some of it known. Your entire argument is pretty naive, it has to be said.

I can see your point of view by all means, and in some ways I was being naive, but please use that term rather than 'gowl', it too shows a bit of naivety on your behalf also.

Personally I am of the opinion that the artworks, some of which are perfectly elegant and suited to the college ('window on the world' being one particular example) and others perhaps are curated poorly and stand out very much.

I also think that some artworks that are more focused towards a moral and spiritual outlook on life would be a welcome addition to the college. If the ethos of the college stands for "cultural diversity", why does it appear (to me at least) to be constantly focused towards one cultural outlook?

I mean no offense by these remarks and am just merely expressing my opinion. :)

I can see your point of view by all means, and in some ways I was being naive, but please use that term rather than 'gowl', it too shows a bit of naivety on your behalf also.

Personally I am of the opinion that the artworks, some of which are perfectly elegant and suited to the college ('window on the world' being one particular example) and others perhaps are curated poorly and stand out very much.

I also think that some artworks that are more focused towards a moral and spiritual outlook on life would be a welcome addition to the college. If the ethos of the college stands for "cultural diversity", why does it appear (to me at least) to be constantly focused towards one cultural outlook?

I mean no offense by these remarks and am just merely expressing my opinion. :)

Didactic literature; be it signs, booklets etc., would of course be welcome in my view, while debate should be opened for a more demure collection.

The very framework of religious art is morality and spirituality. Your probably meaning to say other versions of morality and spirituality than in Christianity.

Cultural diversity for a Christian theological college is going to be fairly conservative. It really is a very limited ethos contextually, but at the same time, inescapable for such a college. They have to be seen as progressive, but will become liberalised at a near stagnant pace.

Tell me, is there a LGBT society in MI?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Tell me, is there a LGBT society in MI?

I know there used to be, between 2007 and 2009 anyway. I was too busy to notice when I was in third year, and I only used the college in the evenings last year, so I don't know if anyone kept it running.

• Advertisement

Just in relation to the above queries on an LGBT society, due to lack of numbers the society is not officially functioning this year, this is unfortunate but we are working on an alternative. Laura our Welfare officer along with Jaffa and Gearoid our clubs and socs officers are exploring options at present. If anyone would like any more info or would like to express interest in an LGBT soc please feel free to email MISUWelfare@mic.ul.ie where all correspondence as always will be treated in strictest confidence. Hope this helps in answering the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone know what 'Available at Dock Road' means in relation to library books?

:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Anyone know what 'Available at Dock Road' means in relation to library books?

:confused:

apparently they have a 'book - store' in the dock rd, you need to put in a request at the desk for the book. last year it took about 3 weeks to get the book I wanted - but I think its supposed to be less than a week.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    apparently they have a 'book - store' in the dock rd, you need to put in a request at the desk for the book. last year it took about 3 weeks to get the book I wanted - but I think its supposed to be less than a week.

Oh Mary I! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

There's also the Chapel Store, and the Prefab store (but I think that's gone now)! It usually only takes a few days to get it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Noisy people in the library should be shot.

The only noise I want to hear is their screams before a loud bang.
    That noise I can deal with.

/end rant! :D

I like this guy/girl, get him/her his/her own job/post!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I like this guy/girl, get him/her his/her own job/post!

I will take that job/post IF I can have my own gun...
    I is a woman, for future reference! :pac:

I will take that job/post IF I can have my own gun...
    I is a woman, for future reference! :pac:

Be thankful I didn't just flat out go for him! This is an equal opportunity thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

Just wondering if there is any 3rd yr ECCE people on here who are renting a house maybe in casttlewell/alandale/fitzhaven or those kinds of places and are moving out in 2nd semester. Im a 3rd yr b.ed and looking for a house for 2nd semester for myself plus 3/4 others...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Was in the college today and saw those ladders. Boy are they ugly.

I wish instead of holy ladders and crucifixes, the college would buy some nice bins, those ones that are made of metal rods are cheap looking and remind me of my primary school circa 1996.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I wish instead of holy ladders and crucifixes, the college would buy some nice bins, those ones that are made of metal rods are cheap looking and remind me of my primary school circa 1996.

I always thought the ones with the exposed bin bags looked like giant condoms :eek:

Why are the computers so slow recently? Logging on and getting set up takes ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

whispering in the library and in lectures is bloody annoying. there should be somebody walking around the library policing this, and i wish more lecturers would state "no talking in this lecture" or make an example of somebody.

They should get a security guard to walk around the Library like they do in UL.

Most of the time though, I find the noisiest people in the library are the librarians themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Look who graduated last Friday? :D
    Complete with commentary as well ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFW1pgYhza8

I see MIC has applied for planning permission to change Summerville Lodge down past Summerville for educational use and also to knock Laurel Lodge (can be seen from the Tara building) on Ashbourne Avenue.

I wonder what the purpose in knocking that is. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Feel like a broken record here...Any news on the postgrad? I enquired during the midterm and they still didn't know in the education office...:(

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    Feel like a broken record here...Any news on the postgrad? I enquired during the midterm and they still didn't know in the education office...:(

We've been told it will probably closer to December before the Dept of Education & Skills give the go ahead and details of the intake.

Advertisement