Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi folks, we have just got the word that the Grad Dip in Education course has been confirmed and will go ahead in January. Details are still forthcoming but it will be an 18 month course and details will appear in papers (national + local) this Friday. We understand that there is bound to be a lot of questions to follow but this is all the details we have for the time being and will post more as soon as we find out. Thanks. MISU Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think the college being closed today is an absolute joke! UL library and the city granary are at capacity and I can't study at home!

God, I absolutely despise the Irish department in this college! Assume we're all from the gaeltacht and that we understand every word they say.

Absolutely screwed for both exams and when I ask for help with my bad Irish, all they end up doing is criticising my spoken Irish instead of trying to help me. :mad: Try talk to them in English and they just ignore you. :mad:

Honours A2 in the Leaving Cert....completely wasted.

/rant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Hi just wondering does anyone know about the course or anyone doing , early childhood care and education please let me know as i'm thinking bout doing it but jus looking for a little more info.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Absolutely screwed for both exams and when I ask for help with my bad Irish, all they end up doing is criticising my spoken Irish instead of trying to help me. :mad: Try talk to them in English and they just ignore you. :mad:

If you need any help with Irish, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

I received word from Mary I that the application for the Post Grad Diploma in Education is online but I cannot for the life of me find it, can someone please help? The website still says that they haven't heard anything and are waiting until after the budget! Please help! Thanks

Hi Folks

For anyone that is having difficulty in finding the application forms for the Grad Dip here's the link http://www.mic.ul.ie/postgradstudies/prospectivestudents/Pages/GraduateDiplomainEducation.aspx

Remember to read everything carefully and if you have any questions about your application feel free to contact the admissions office on 061-204348 and they will be happy to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Hi Folks

For anyone that is having difficulty in finding the application forms for the Grad Dip here's the link http://www.mic.ul.ie/postgradstudies/prospectivestudents/Pages/GraduateDiplomainEducation.aspx

Remember to read everything carefully and if you have any questions about your application feel free to contact the admissions office on 061-204348 and they will be happy to help you out.

Thanks, I had just found it! Nervous now, but delighted it's finally happening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

I think the college being closed today is an absolute joke! UL library and the city granary are at capacity and I can't study at home!

Am I correct in saying the Mary I library isn't open on Sundays either? Hoped on grabbing a book for a bit of reading before my Ologies exam on Monday...

Am I correct in saying the Mary I library isn't open on Sundays either? Hoped on grabbing a book for a bit of reading before my Ologies exam on Monday...

You are correct. They are open longer tomorrow though, from 10am until 6pm.

All other opening hours for the Library are here.

• Advertisement

If you need any help with Irish, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers IO! Might give ya a PM sometime!

I'm alright for Irish atm thanks to one or two others I know! Gotta good bit of help today!

Appreciate it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No problem at all. I was giving grinds for the last few weeks so I'm almost on auto-pilot at this stage. Must help more learners! :pac:

Glad you got sorted out anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Got my application in for the post grad on Wednesday..Wonder what numbers applied this year?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Happy Xmas to all!

Posting from my new xmas present :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Hi all,
    I'm doing the Leaving this year and will be filling out the CAO in the next few days. Liberal Arts will be going down as first choice.

My question is: For Liberal Arts, do you get long to try a few different subjects before settling on four? I've a fair idea what I'd like to do, but I'd like to sit in on some lectures and get a taste of it before deciding. Thanks!

13spanner wrote: »
    My question is: For Liberal Arts, do you get long to try a few different subjects before settling on four? I've a fair idea what I'd like to do, but I'd like to sit in on some lectures and get a taste of it before deciding. Thanks!

A BA or B.Ed would be better able to answer your question, but IIRC you're given the opportunity to attend a few different lectures in your first week before making the final decision. I'm open to contradiction on that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Yep, dambarude is right as always :D

You get to try out all the subjects for the first week before deciding on the final four. You can change after the set date but I think there's a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

Hi all,
    I'm doing the Leaving this year and will be filling out the CAO in the next few days. Liberal Arts will be going down as first choice.

Hey
    Yup you do indeed.
    You can sit in on whatever lectures you want over the first week or 2.
    Try to go to everything if you can, you'd be surprised how different some subjects can be to what you expected :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I remember hearing somewhere that the 2nd year ba timetable is different to the others this semester, ie shorter (due to tp i think) Anyone know if this is right??

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I remember hearing somewhere that the 2nd year ba timetable is different to the others this semester, ie shorter (due to tp i think) Anyone know if this is right??

Yup... B.Eds have TP at the end of the semester, and exams are held before that usually.

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »
    Yup... B.Eds have TP at the end of the semester, and exams are held before that usually.

okay, so that would mean that our exams would be in April instead of May???

I think it depends on the way Easter is falling, but 2nd year B.Eds/B.Ed Psychs/BAs would usually have their exams while other years are on study week.

dambarude wrote: »
    I think it depends on the way Easter is falling, but 2nd year B.Eds/B.Ed Psychs/BAs would usually have their exams while other years are on study week.

thanks for that... love trying to plan 'life' around college:rolleyes:

angeldaisy wrote: »
    thanks for that... love trying to plan 'life' around college:rolleyes:

You're welcome. Good luck with the planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 outsidein

Hi,

the 2nd year summer exams are on from the 16th - 21st of April.

The Easter break is the 6th - 15th of April so that would also be the study week for us 2nd years.

Got that from the student handbook... :)

outsidein wrote: »
    Hi,

the 2nd year summer exams are on from the 16th - 21st of April.

The Easter break is the 6th - 15th of April so that would also be the study week for us 2nd years.

Got that from the student handbook... :)

CORRECT :-)

CORRECT :-)

So does that mean there is only 11 weeks for 2nd years this semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 outsidein

So does that mean there is only 11 weeks for 2nd years this semester?

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

What's Ashdown Village like as accomidation? I'll hopefully be in 1st year next year and I've started looking at where to stay. How many people per apartment? Is it a good spot for 1st years?

Any info on there or Courtbrack would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

What's Ashdown Village like as accomidation? I'll hopefully be in 1st year next year and I've started looking at where to stay. How many people per apartment? Is it a good spot for 1st years?

Any info on there or Courtbrack would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Im in ashdown this year its really nice but its very strict security wise. If you really like your home comforts go there otherwise id recommend city campus...way better craic to be had , and full of 1st years ( its also cheaper ) :)

Advertisement