Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Long aul walk to city campus! I stayed in a 4 bed house in castlewell, 250 each per month for a fab house. You basically have to go door to door and ask the people living there if they're renting, how much and do they know if its booked for the following year or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

+1 for Castlewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

13spanner wrote: »
    What's Ashdown Village like as accomidation? I'll hopefully be in 1st year next year and I've started looking at where to stay. How many people per apartment? Is it a good spot for 1st years?

Any info on there or Courtbrack would be appreciated. Thanks!

I stayed in Ashdown for 2 years and can honestly say I loved it. You can't really get much closer to college and the atmosphere is really nice there, there's always someone around.
    When I moved in at the start of first year I thought it was really easy to get to know people, since they tend to put all the first years in one block, all the second years in another etc. Comfortable apartments, much bigger than City Campus.

As for the security, the only time it can be a pain is during rag week. Tbh this seems to be the same thing with most student accommodation but you'd have to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

Hey! I'm in first year Bed. We're starting our tp in a few weeks time..Just wondering how everyone found their first experience teaching in a "real" classroom? ( as opposed to microteaching!) Totally nervous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ss18

Hey, I'm hoping to do a BA in Mary I this year butnone of my friends are going there. I live near enough to mary i so won't be moving into any student accomadation. Just wondering what is it like there? Is it easy to make friends in first year? Whats freshers week like, if you don't know anbody? I'm a little nervous about starting knowing nobody, I wanna have a good time and make lots of friends!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

taylormoon wrote: »
    Hey! I'm in first year Bed. We're starting our tp in a few weeks time..Just wondering how everyone found their first experience teaching in a "real" classroom? ( as opposed to microteaching!) Totally nervous!
    I'm in UL doing my first year Materials & Arch Tech Ed. primary school placement. It's really not as bad as you think, chances are you'll get a supportive teacher who will help you out when you come into difficulties and the kids like the novelty of having someone new there. Had my first chance to manage the class on my own today and it went better than expected although you will find you spot the group of messers very fast! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Accommodation is spelt wrong on the Mary I website! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

taylormoon wrote: »

Microteaching is no indication of what a real classroom is like. I absolutely hated MT but I loved my experience teaching 2nd class.
    Again, just have your folders in good order, do what your inspector tells you to (regardless of your own opinion) and you'll get on perfectly fine.
    I haven't heard any terrible tales of child misbehaviour from my peers and of course you'll be paired for support.

Just enjoy it really, you won't really get an opportunity to experiment with teaching styles as freely as you will in first year due to the Pass/Fail marking :)

Regarding the exam results cock up today...

The exact same thing happened in January 2009 when I was in first year. The people who got there in time managed to see their results. All my results were up, exactly the same as they were more than a week and a half later when they were rubber stamped. So there's no point in saying it wasn't expected, or that it couldn't have been prepared for. Everybody should get their results, or nobody. Not a mish mash of crap where some do and others don't.

Why can't the college release provisional results at this point, before exam board meetings? I know of at least one other college that does this.

3rd B.Eds and 4th B.Ed Psychs have been waiting since November to hear how they did on Home TP. And whether they need the approval of Deans and Heads of Department or not, we should have been told at least provisionally what our grade is.

It'd be one thing if we had to wait until Friday week, the end of week 1, but why do we have to wait until Monday the 30th? We always got them on Friday Week 1.

I know it's not MISU's fault btw, but I really think there needs to be some movement on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

As a second year student I have to say that the organisation in Mary I is beyond atrocious. I had to laugh when I saw Mary I was being used as an example of how not manage a college by someone who hadn't even attended the college. It seems the stories have become a national knowledge!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57392101&postcount=9

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

dambarude wrote: »
    Regarding the exam results cock up today...

The exact same thing happened in January 2009 when I was in first year. The people who got there in time managed to see their results. All my results were up, exactly the same as they were more than a week and a half later when they were rubber stamped. So there's no point in saying it wasn't expected, or that it couldn't have been prepared for. Everybody should get their results, or nobody. Not a mish mash of crap where some do and others don't.

Why can't the college release provisional results at this point, before exam board meetings? I know of at least one other college that does this.

3rd B.Eds and 4th B.Ed Psychs have been waiting since November to hear how they did on Home TP. And whether they need the approval of Deans and Heads of Department or not, we should have been told at least provisionally what our grade is.

It'd be one thing if we had to wait until Friday week, the end of week 1, but why do we have to wait until Monday the 30th? We always got them on Friday Week 1.

I know it's not MISU's fault btw, but I really think there needs to be some movement on this.

I feel your pain! So if I was a student in UL, I would now be in possession of my exam results, but because we are in Mary I we have to wait. well at least the system won't crash on the 30th as it's only us accessing the information :rolleyes:

I checked mine this morning for the laugh and I was shocked to see them available..

What exactly happens at this exam board meeting that causes such a long delay for results. It should have been scheduled the same time as UL's to accommodate the results of both colleges on the same day.

I checked mine this morning for the laugh and I was shocked to see them available..

What exactly happens at this exam board meeting that causes such a long delay for results. It should have been scheduled the same time as UL's to accommodate the results of both colleges on the same day.

I think they make sure that there aren't too many A1s, A2s etc. And compare them to results from other years/subjects perhaps? Apart from that I don't know what they do.

http://www.misu.ie/index.php/maryilive/news/1755-misu-facebook-page-to-be-diabled-this-monday
    MISU.ie wrote: »
    In the last few weeks, the MISU Facebook page has been subjected to growing amounts of spamming and trolling. As a result, the MISU Facebook page will be temporarily disabled from the morning of Monday January 23rd until further notice.
    There are several ways to contact the MISU Office and/or the MISU Sabbatical Officers outside of Facebook. The office is open from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday for anyone who wishes to call in, as well as being able to access us via boards.ie, Twitter, Google+ and of course email.

So the MISU Facebook page is shutting down indefinately? Is this really necessary. I personally found it as an excellent resource, in fact it was the best liason for the college and there's great credit due to the SU for the information they provide.

May I suggest setting the page up as a 'group', this would provide the facility to prevent others from posting on the page :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah lads. Closing down the page? Really?

I've always been a fan of this Pres & Vice-Pres duo, but removing the Mary Immaculate SU page from Facebook is not the right move.

Pass on the identities of the students responsible for the mayhem. Punish them. Stand up and do something that might teach those idiots to appreciate their place in the college. Don't fecking run and hide from them.

Ah lads. Closing down the page? Really?

I've always been a fan of this Pres & Vice-Pres duo, but removing the Mary Immaculate SU page from Facebook is not the right move.

Pass on the identities of the students responsible for the mayhem. Punish them. Stand up and do something that might teach those idiots to appreciate their place in the college. Don't fecking run and hide from them.

It does seem a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater alright.

There's some amount of crap posted on the MISU wall, nearly always by the same motley crew as far as I can see. They're like 2 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Totally agree. I don't understand why everyone has to lose out because of the same fools that have nothing better to do than troll.

With all the women in the college you'd think they'd spend their time trying to get a girlfriend rather than waste MISUs energy/annoy the student body. :D :rolleyes:

I hope MISU reconsider their decision as the FB page is as handy as a small pot!

Have to agree that SU's facebook page is a great resource but getting rid of it seems like a complete over reaction and it gives off the wrong impressioin. Why not just block the people incolved and move on how difficult is that?

In fairness the things that people were writien were pretty harmless and I have to say I did get a laugh of some of them. Those reporting saying notify the college are being ridiculous what are the Su going to do go to the President and say someone was messing on facebook. From what I saw its not like anyone was abused or personally attacked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

leg wrote: »
    Those reporting saying notify the college are being ridiculous what are the Su going to do go to the President and say someone was messing on facebook. From what I saw its not like anyone was abused or personally attacked.

People were abused, and some serious accusations were thrown around, but it seems the majority of the offending material has been removed.

People were abused, and some serious accusations were thrown around, but it seems the majority of the offending material has been removed.

ok I didnt see any of that and the stuff that remains seems harmless enough. What abuse was given accusations made?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Idiots will be idiots, particularly on the internet.

Shame to lose a great resource because of a small few, its the only connection I have to Mary I since leaving in May!

leg wrote: »
    ok I didnt see any of that and the stuff that remains seems harmless enough. What abuse was given accusations made?

Scroll down to the status update from 14:33 yesterday and read the comments under it, for a small taste.

Indeed. There are some quite grotesque comments up there and that is inexcusable, I agree. There must be some common ground though that can accomodate regular notifications for the student body without a spam filled page.

There's already quite a large communtication failure in the college, it's only going to be worse without the page..

what did the status say? the times are different on mine for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 liamobie

now lads yee would want to have a bit of cop on. as a former student of the college looking at the above comments i cant help but laught. i checked the su facebook page and saw nothing but harmless jokes at the expense of the exams results going up a bit too early. taking the matter any further to me is a laughable matter. although the time of the su may have been wasted over the comments there was no abuse intended straight at the members of it themselves. it looks like yee are mistaking this "abuse" with a bit of a joke and laugh between the fellow students. if you are to call the people making these comments immature yee would want to have look at yourselves who are so called adults making such a fuss over a bit of harmless commenting. you would swear that the su have been threatened with their lives they way yee are carrying on. let the su remove people who are posting this "abuse" on their page and carry on without getting involved in something that you have completely blown out of proportion. (insect overload) "the cause of this mayhem" cop on lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 liamobie

(insect overload) make them respect their place in college? you surely cant be serious here trying to justify a comment on facebook to the su page for that student not respecting their place in college. the only thing your comment was useful for was entertainment at how crazy some of the statements you came out with were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ewq

As a past student myself i have to agree with liamobie...i do follow the misu facebook page, and will miss it if it does go, but in fairness these lads are only having a bit of foolish banter..lets not forget they have been on holidays since the middle of december so its not surprising that they have become fed up at home. acting the eejit they may be but insect overload you are way too worked up over this issue.let the lads have their laugh and if you dont agree just block them!..if insect overload and everyone didnt laugh at some of the comments in the conversation well then they have no sense of humour

Laugh all you like, Liamo. There's a difference between having a laugh and posting flat-out abuse. Nobody is suggesting students can't have a laugh. For a graduate of the college, you don't seem to have learned much of how to tell the difference.

First of all, hello liamobie.
    liamobie wrote: »
    i checked the su facebook page and saw nothing but harmless jokes at the expense of the exams results going up a bit too early. taking the matter any further to me is a laughable matter.
    While I agree that the action taken by the SU is a bit extreme (closing the Facebook page), it's obvious that they and others didn't consider the jokes/comments that harmless.
    it looks like yee are mistaking this "abuse" with a bit of a joke and laugh between the fellow students.
    If they want to joke and laugh can they not do that elsewhere? Why do they have to post their nonsense on the SU page? There's no need for their in-joking, and downright trolling to be seen by every student in the college. It's clogging up what is otherwise a useful and well run service.
    if you are to call the people making these comments immature yee would want to have look at yourselves who are so called adults making such a fuss over a bit of harmless commenting.
    How is it kicking up a fuss? The people who have commented here are just making their opinions known - in the very same way that you have just done.
    let the su remove people who are posting this "abuse" on their page and carry on without getting involved in something that you have completely blown out of proportion.
    I agree - ban them from the page and leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ewq

where do you see abuse in "Cremin to return in 2011 with Thierry Henry and Paul Scholes, itll be some return, rag week i say" and the other comments these lads have posted which dont seem to have anything got to do with the Mary I SU or this so called "mayhem" thats going on??

Advertisement