Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

After looking back over the comments insect the oinly comment that I saw that could be taken as abuse is one person saying "c@nts" and even that I dont think was meant in a serious manner and looked like it could be a frape. As has already been said I have to agree the comments are merely a bit of banter and I cannot see how the random stuff posted can be seen as some sort of wreckless form of harrassment that you seem to think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 liamobie

ah lad you cant say that anything said was flat out abuse? if you can show me it would be much appreciated but the use of the word "dope" in a number of cases does not justify how big a deal you are making this out to be. i am sure if you ask the college 90% of the students will agree that the comments were funny and entertaining without being taken over the top

as ewq says the majority of the content written by the students is not anything to do with the su calling it abuse is foolish. with the simple click of a mouse the students saying this nonsense but rather entertaining comments can be easily blocked. whatever i didnt learn while in the college i learned not to over react to something which is so minor when you take a good luck at it. bringing this sort of nonsense and comments to the higher authorities would leave yourself looking very stupid as the content while it lacks intellect never causes any great harm to anyone. Whatever i didnt learn in my stay in the college certaintly didnt lead me to look as silly as you did in regard to your accusations

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've only been referring to what the SU has been describing.

If you're correct (and if it's the harmless stuff about Thierry Henry, Paul Scholes, Demba Ba and Peadar Cremin that's annoying the SU) then this over-reaction is even worse than I'd been led to believe.

I thought there had been more vitriol there when I looked at the comments on Thursday. That's the kind of thing that should be reported. Not the obviously harmless stuff.

I've only been referring to what the SU has been describing.

If you're correct (and if it's the harmless stuff about Thierry Henry, Paul Scholes, Demba Ba and Peadar Cremin that's annoying the SU) then this over-reaction is even worse than I'd been led to believe.

I thought there had been more vitriol there when I looked at the comments on Thursday. That's the kind of thing that should be reported. Not the obviously harmless stuff.

I have to agree with you here when I first saw the comments about trolling and spamming and after reading here about the abuse I thought I was going to see some shocking defamation of the various SU members but at the end of the day it does really seem to be harmless random lighthearted fun such as the Peader Cremin and Demba ba type comments already mentioned.

If the SU does indeed go ahead with this and take the page offline it will be a real shame as it really provides a direct access to the main student body which is essential at this time when social media plays such a critical role. I think many people will also see this has a huge over reaction and something that could be easily solved with a few clicks and bans.

worried_cat_medium.jpg

• Advertisement

i can see where your coming from insect but rather than make such extreme statements in the matter it might be useful to go to the page yourself and check the content and make your decision then. im not criticising the su's decision to shut down the page if that is what they feel is the best decision to do this moment in time but i must admit your view on a punishment was very harsh. i know you do are seeking to put a stop to the problem but i feel it was an over reaction

lol at legs photo^^^^^^^^

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

liamobie wrote: »
    i can see where your coming from insect but rather than make such extreme statements in the matter it might be useful to go to the page yourself and check the content and make your decision then. im not criticising the su's decision to shut down the page if that is what they feel is the best decision to do this moment in time but i must admit your view on a punishment was very harsh. i know you do are seeking to put a stop to the problem but i feel it was an over reaction

I made a few comments on the Facebook page this evening under my own name, and I've seen everything posted there in the last 24 hours. There's a bit of sarcasm there amongst the banter (South Park video in response to the History Soc's call for calm, "J.Edgar" paraphrased in response to a similar appeal) but that's not too bad on its own.

The stuff from Thursday was worse though. A lot of mis-directed anger there. Some of that went too far. As I said above, I had been under the impression that there had been more of that than appears to be on the Wall now.

My opinion summed up:
    I'd call for the punishment of the people who resorted to petty bad-mouthing of the college and the SU, and not for the off-topic jokes.
    The jokes can be deleted if they're getting in the way of useful communication.
    The people who push it beyond a joke should be banned from it, and the folks who get abusive should be sanctioned by the college.
    Even a temporary removal of the whole page is excessive when the solutions are so obvious.

Apologies if my earlier posts didn't make that clear.

The stuff from Thursday was worse though. A lot of mis-directed anger there. Some of that went too far. As I said above, I had been under the impression that there had been more of that than appears to be on the Wall now.

My opinion summed up:
    I'd call for the punishment of the people who resorted to petty bad-mouthing of the college and the SU, and not for the off-topic jokes.
    The jokes can be deleted if they're getting in the way of useful communication.
    The people who push it beyond a joke should be banned from it, and the folks who get abusive should be sanctioned by the college.
    Even a temporary removal of the whole page is excessive when the solutions are so obvious.

Apologies if my earlier posts didn't make that clear.

I agree with you here I never saw any of the so called abuse on the wall perhaps it was delted before I got to see it which is the action that should be taken.

TBH college sanctions are completly uncalled for unless its some sort of abuse thats completly uncalled for and goes past being a joke. For any minor things I feel that a ban is more than sufficient and should end all problems trhat have arisen.

Good post its nice to see a bit of common sense in Mary I at last and hopefully the SU will come here and read this discussion and take our points on board.

leg wrote: »
    Good post its nice to see a bit of common sense in Mary I at last and hopefully the SU will come here and read this discussion and take our points on board.

Just on this point, I have to stress that the current SU is the best I ever saw in my four years on campus and this year so far off campus. They've taken things a long way, both in terms of how information is communicated and in the huge range of the info they can pass on. They're a very effective and dedicated team, and the Pres and Vice-Pres are very nice people in general too.

• Advertisement

Just on this point, I have to stress that the current SU is the best I ever saw in my four years on campus and this year so far off campus. They've taken things a long way, both in terms of how information is communicated and in the huge range of the info they can pass on. They're a very effective and dedicated team, and the Pres and Vice-Pres are very nice people in general too.

That comment was not aimed at the SU and anytime I have had a problem or query they have been more than helpful and a great resource. I meant more the general difficulties that Mary I managemnet has at showing common sense

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note on the Facebook conversation.

At present, genuine queries from students are being obstructed on our Facebook page and in the best interest of all students, this cannot continue. We have decided to temporarily disable the account but as it is such an invaluable resource for our students, we hope this is a very short term measure. In the meantime, we plan to assess how best to utilize Facebook to inform our students without disruption. It may be worth noting that the ‘Wall’ is all that students can read about what is going on but we do receive a large volume of private message as well as communication through other media. Rest assured that we would not take such a measure without the just consideration.

We hope all is well besides and that everyone is enjoying being back after the Christmas break!

In that case, one quick query about something else altogether! :)

Is there anyone who could give me a list of the texts being used for 1st, 2nd and Final Year Gaeilge this semester?

In that case, one quick query about something else altogether! :)

Is there anyone who could give me a list of the texts being used for 1st, 2nd and Final Year Gaeilge this semester?

Booklist can be found here: http://www.misu.ie/index.php/maryilive/news/1741-irish-booklist-20112012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just wondering, what's the story with Courtbrack accomodation? Anyone living or previously living there who can give their own opinion on it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Just wondering, what's the story with Courtbrack accomodation? Anyone living or previously living there who can give their own opinion on it?

A few of us have posted on it before, search through the thread and you should find what was said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Captain Birdseye

Is there any truth to them rumours that following the exam board meeting today, our results will be released and available after midnight, despite the official time for their release being Monday morn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Captain Birdseye

Is there any truth to them rumours that following the exam board meeting today, our results will be released and available after midnight, despite the official time for their release being Monday morn?

http://www.facebook.com/misuonline?ref=ts

Always worth checking though, just in case...

Here's hoping... but I'd doubt it. I'll be checking just in case though:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

dambarude wrote: »
    Here's hoping... but I'd doubt it. I'll be checking just in case though:D

Can't see them releasing results any time before Monday after all the giving out that was done last week when they got out early.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Anyone know if there is a way of accessing a version of spss through the college at home??

You have to go to the UL library and take a CD out to get SPSS on your laptop. Most people bring their laptop with them and do it there and then so they don't have to bring the CD back.

You have to go to the UL library and take a CD out to get SPSS on your laptop. Most people bring their laptop with them and do it there and then so they don't have to bring the CD back.

thanks for that, does that give you limited access or full access?

Full access. Exactly the same as it would be on college computers. You'll need internet access to authorise the software - so if you have a data modem bring it with you to UL. Otherwise you might be able to connect to the UL network.

The joys of t-tests and ANOVAs await you!:p

Full access. Exactly the same as it would be on college computers. You'll need internet access to authorise the software - so if you have a data modem bring it with you to UL. Otherwise you might be able to connect to the UL network.

The joys of t-tests and ANOVAs await you!:p

thanks for that, have to do it for Geog & Psych - better get used to it.....happy days.....:rolleyes:

I'm sure people will have checked ... BUT

Results are up! (And have been for 3/4 of an hour at least)

Good luck/well done everyone!

Just check my results and I seem to have a slightly different grade in one module depending on how I check my results, ie either "click here for results" or through student records and view my results.
    Who do I report this to??

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Just check my results and I seem to have a slightly different grade in one module depending on how I check my results, ie either "click here for results" or through student records and view my results.
    Who do I report this to??

Best bet would be to contact Student Services tomorrow morning and they will be able to sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mojorex

B.ed here...got my exam results today and failed one part of my module but got a C3 over all, it was split in 5 different parts, just wondering if I'll have to repeat the part I failed?

Advertisement