Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

mojorex wrote: »
    B.ed here...got my exam results today and failed one part of my module but got a C3 over all, it was split in 5 different parts, just wondering if I'll have to repeat the part I failed?

Nope, no need. You only have to repeat if you fail the module overall

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

All B.Ed/ B.Ed Psych/ Postgrad in Teaching students should be aware of this: http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0003_2012.pdf .

It basically means you won't get an honours degree allowance, supervision duty pay or a Gaeltacht/Islands allowance where applicable if you're a new entrant to the teaching from today on. This adds up to thousands of euro every year.

The circular says that the allowances are under review. If there isn't any reaction to them 'under review' will turn into a permanent cut. New entrants are already down several thousand euro compared to those who started only a short few years ago. Pensions are also severely affected.

Beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

dambarude wrote: »
    All B.Ed/ B.Ed Psych/ Postgrad in Teaching students should be aware of this: http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0003_2012.pdf .

It basically means you won't get an honours degree allowance, supervision duty pay or a Gaeltacht/Islands allowance where applicable if you're a new entrant to the teaching from today on. This adds up to thousands of euro every year.

The circular says that the allowances are under review. If there isn't any reaction to them 'under review' will turn into a permanent cut. New entrants are already down several thousand euro compared to those who started only a short few years ago. Pensions are also severely affected.

Beware!

Its tough to look at all these cuts but I guess its something that the government just has to do. We're in massive debt and revenue has to be raised. There's other places that cuts may be made and I can't understand why they don't focus on them

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

You have to go to the UL library and take a CD out to get SPSS on your laptop. Most people bring their laptop with them and do it there and then so they don't have to bring the CD back.

Quick question, I have the disc and am trying to load it, its giving me three options;
    Single user licence
    site licence
    network licence
    What do I do???
    Sorry if its a silly question - ive been up since 6.30 and am starting to see double:o

Its tough to look at all these cuts but I guess its something that the government just has to do. We're in massive debt and revenue has to be raised. There's other places that cuts may be made and I can't understand why they don't focus on them

I'm fully aware of that, but I don't accept it. The situation will now arise where some teachers will be paid for having to supervise during break (i.e. all those on the pre-cut salaries), where as the new entrants will have to give up their break for nothing. What other job prevents you from having a break? The whole point of that allowance was to compensate teachers for this.

Would you like to teach on an island? Detached from everybody you know, with no compensation for that? I sure as hell wouldn't.

If these were the first cuts to be made to new entrants it would be one thing, but they're not. It's crap piled on top of more crap.

What's almost more exasperating is the fact nobody in the college seems to be aware of it, and the INTO couldn't care less.

• Advertisement

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Quick question, I have the disc and am trying to load it, its giving me three options;
    Single user licence
    site licence
    network licence
    What do I do???
    Sorry if its a silly question - ive been up since 6.30 and am starting to see double:o

There should be instructions in the case telling you which to choose. I can't remember which one tbh!

There should be instructions in the case telling you which to choose. I can't remember which one tbh!

that would be too easy wouldn't it, I think UL are even worse than Mary I for not telling you anything:D

that would be too easy wouldn't it, I think UL are even worse than Mary I for not telling you anything:D

Does that mean you found the instructions?!

Does that mean you found the instructions?!

Nope it means there was sweet fa in the case! Going to try 1 and just see what happens..

Nope it means there was sweet fa in the case! Going to try 1 and just see what happens..

You won't be able to complete the installation without a registration number - is that on the case anywhere? It's usually printed on the instruction sheet:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You won't be able to complete the installation without a registration number - is that on the case anywhere? It's usually printed on the instruction sheet:rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with them... they don't have another copy and no-one has a record of the codes.... apparently its printed on a slip of paper in the cd... well not in mine its not!!

Just got off the phone with them... they don't have another copy and no-one has a record of the codes.... apparently its printed on a slip of paper in the cd... well not in mine its not!!

There'll be no SPSS stats for you this evening so I'm afraid...

There'll be no SPSS stats for you this evening so I'm afraid...

and I'm sooo disappointed:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Well done to Máireád and Noel and the rest of the SU on a great week! Mightily depressed its my last one, but definitely enjoyed it. I'll be washing UV paint out of my hair for weeks. . .

Oh good God.... (pardon the pun)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oh good God.... (pardon the pun)

Ignoring the trolls, the off-topic chat, the snide remarks and the generally inaccurate information that make up the majority of that thread, it is an interesting little debate. Surprised it wasn't mentioned here sooner.

The article the thread is based on was only printed today. Putting the beliefs of students to one side, I'd be quite certain that at least some of the lecturers would be less than pleased to be associated with this type of publicity. It gives the impression that they're going round indoctrinating us in maths ed. and psychology lectures.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I haven't seen the article itself, but if it echoes the content of last week's Inaugural Address then I'm not surprised at the reception it's getting!

I'll be shopping later - if I get the article in full I'll post it up.

For anybody that's interested...

192521.jpeg

It doesn't say anything that hasn't been mentioned before. In the long run I'd doubt that Mary I, Pats, Marino, Froebel and CICE will exist as independently as they do now.

• Advertisement

Going by today's news it'd seem that Mary I will be fully folded into UL within a few years. I'm guessing it will mean the college will become the UL department of primary education, with no President, VPs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

UL now has a total of 15 restaurants/cafés since the beginning of the month!

Makes you think how sick you get of eating in An Bhialann the whole time! :P

Well we DO have several vending machines located for your convenience in different parts of the campus :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cogardearg

Hey! I'm a 3rd year B.Ed, and I'm appealing the results of my tp. I was just wondering has anyone ever appealled a tp before? Im really nervous about it, I feel as if the college are completely against the appeals, telling me its a waste of money and time. Fifty euro is nothing compared to the work I put into my tp. I really feel like I have a case for it, it's just that I have really lost all respect for Mary I.

Cogardearg, you should go and edit out the name you mentioned in your post. I don't think it's fair to single out one person online, whether the blame lies at their door or not.

I'll post up what I've heard about appeals shortly..

So true, Sorry, I didnt mean it as a dig or an insult at that person!

Fair enough - I know that TP can be a very emotive issue! As I said, I'll post what I've heard about people who appealed TP grades in a little while, busy at the mo.

Anyway...

All of what the TP directorate say is true. You won't be upgraded unless you have a very obvious reason, like not having enough visits or some very unprofessional comments from your supervisor. It will hinge on your léirmheas and folders.

That said, I do think that the college are pretty obnoxious in their approach to appeals. It's like they have their fingers stuck in their ears and their eyes closed - supervisors are all perfect, suitably qualified, and never make mistakes. How should you know better, you're a mere student with no experience. However the fact is that in some cases the student does have more primary classroom experience than the supervisor. It's ludicrous that the college think it's ok that supervisors with no Irish are qualified to supervise. Certain supervisors never taught, though admittedly that's a minority. However, whatever you do, don't mention supervisor qualifications in the appeal because you'll immediately be taken less seriously.

Apparently the hearing is like a cross examination in court. They go through the léirmheas with a fine tooth comb, and will pick you up on everything you say. You need to be ready for that, as some people get very emotional during it. I've heard of them asking questions in Irish to test how well you can speak it.

If you were floated you're wasting your time.

You should definitely talk to Mairéad/Noel in the SU about it. They know all about it from attending the hearings.

Thanks for the insight, I hadn't heard of them asking questions in Irish. My folders are due into the Education Office on Monday, so it finally feels like the ball is rolling. I just wish I could be like the majority of people in my year who were rewarded for their efforts, the whole thing is quite stressful and upsetting. However, I am preparing for the hearing, I don't want to go in on a limb. I want my right to a fair grade to be recognised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Good luck Cogardearg. I actually considered appealing my Home TP grade too, but after reading all the guidelines and appeals process and everything I decided against it. Seemed like the college were just trying to turn me off appealing, and tbh it worked. I just didn't want to be drawing pressure on myself.

That said, I have heard of people being upgraded and I hope it works out for you. There seems to be a few people this year who weren't happy, but if you're determined hopefully you'll get rewarded for the work you put in.

Advertisement