Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Last year I just had to find out on the day!

Bah! Note to self: Get there extra early to wander around like a tool.

Cheers Poxy!:)

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi folks, yes those are the rooms booked for the repeats, as there can be a lot of subjects going on in the one rooms so they can't be put on the timetable for fear of the total confusion it would cause. You will find out your room at main reception. Hope this helps and cuts out your wandering around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stressedleaver

hi :) im starting the BA in Mary I in September and I need help choosing my subjects! I want to take geography English physcology and maybe Irish? i have an honour in LC irish but id still consider myself weak at it! I'v heard geography is hard and difficult to keep up with! is that true? :( any tips of what subjects to take? to go on for teaching :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

hi :) im starting the BA in Mary I in September and I need help choosing my subjects! I want to take geography English physcology and maybe Irish? i have an honour in LC irish but id still consider myself weak at it! I'v heard geography is hard and difficult to keep up with! is that true? :( any tips of what subjects to take? to go on for teaching :)

I don't know anything about Geography I'm afraid.

Are you thinking of doing secondary or primary teaching?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Well I'm doing the BA at the min and I did geography, history, psychology and leann duchais in 1st year. I then kept on geography and psychology. Both of them are tough subjects as are most! If you are interested in secondary teaching then history, English, geography and Irish would be good subjects.
    Just bear in mind that if you do decide psychology there are only 25 places available in 2nd year so this could limit your options.
    Also worth considering IT as your elective to give you more options as well.
    Outside of the teaching field geography provides you with good skills for many careers, such as marketing, tourism, planning and also
    SPSS.

Hope some of that might be useful!

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Geography I'm afraid.

Are you thinking of doing secondary or primary teaching?

Im gonna keep my options open. Im aiming more towards secondary though!

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Well I'm doing the BA at the min and I did geography, history, psychology and leann duchais in 1st year. I then kept on geography and psychology. Both of them are tough subjects as are most! If you are interested in secondary teaching then history, English, geography and Irish would be good subjects.
    Just bear in mind that if you do decide psychology there are only 25 places available in 2nd year so this could limit your options.
    Also worth considering IT as your elective to give you more options as well.
    Outside of the teaching field geography provides you with good skills for many careers, such as marketing, tourism, planning and also
    SPSS.

Hope some of that might be useful!

Did you find leann duchais difficult? im in such a muddle :( thanks so much for your help :)

Did you find leann duchais difficult? im in such a muddle :( thanks so much for your help :)

Well I really enjoyed it, the first semester concentrates of mythology and the second looks at artefacts (such as the gold and bronze hoards) and architecture (castles, keeps, churches etc).

The only problem with it is that it is only a 1st year subject so you are limiting your options for 2nd year. I chose it because there weren't any other subjects I really wanted to do.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Well I really enjoyed it, the first semester concentrates of mythology and the second looks at artefacts (such as the gold and bronze hoards) and architecture (castles, keeps, churches etc).

The only problem with it is that it is only a 1st year subject so you are limiting your options for 2nd year. I chose it because there weren't any other subjects I really wanted to do.

What will it enable you to do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If you're considering doing secondary teaching it would be a very good idea to keep on Irish. If you search the Teaching & Lecturing forum you'll see that some of the more common arts subjects have a serious oversupply of teachers (that includes English and history typically). Irish is in slightly greater demand than other subjects, not that any subject is in great demand these days. Psychology, while interesting, would be of no benefit for secondary teaching. You wouldn't consider maths? Apparently maths and Irish is one of the best combinations to have.

• Advertisement

realistically not a great deal, its not a subject to pick if you need to 'achieve' something. However bear in mind that it is only the 2 subjects you pick in 2nd year that will count to your degree anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

i have done it, just finished first year. personally preferred the second semester with the buildings and castles. it doesn't get you much but it is 'doable' and even though i am a mature student, i wanted to make it as easy for myself as possible. i think the subjects i chose were good ones, media, history, french and ld. i am carrying on media and history to second year.

McSween wrote: »
    i have done it, just finished first year. personally preferred the second semester with the buildings and castles. it doesn't get you much but it is 'doable'

Same here, second semester was much better. The first one was waaaay too airy fairy for me. It's a handy subject, just put a lot of effort into the essays and then there isn't as much pressure for the exam.

Plus if McSween can pass it without going to at least 5 lectures then anyone can!!:p:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Good luck to anyone doing repeats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

Same here, second semester was much better. The first one was waaaay too airy fairy for me. It's a handy subject, just put a lot of effort into the essays and then there isn't as much pressure for the exam.

Plus if McSween can pass it without going to at least 5 lectures then anyone can!!:p:D:p

:D that was only in the first semester.

It's too late to do anything about it now but I just wanted to write about my experience sitting the repeat on Monday.

My English exam was technically an I grade and not a repeat from failing in the summer exams. At 2pm we all got our exam papers (I know there was English, Geography, Irish exams and most likely a few more) At the top of my paper was my desk number and handwritten in pen was 'I grade - 45 minutes per question'.

Then as I read through the details of the module/lecturer/year/time allowed and percentage the exam was worth I started to panic. It said that the exam was 2.15 hours but I thought it was only 90 mins as I had only 2 questions and not the 3 that the repeats had. So I asked one of the ladies there and she asked the other ladies and nobody really knew. I said that I guessed that if I was 2 questions x45mins I should finish at 3.30pm.:o I needed to know because I didn't want to assume I had till 4.15pm and have someone come down and tell me I was done at 3.30.

Also the paper said the exam was worth 100% which had me literally s**ting myself because I thought my essay from April still applied. I was really stressed out and it definitely had an impact on how I did. It was only on my way home that I clicked that my essay must still apply because I only had to answer the 2 questions so really my exam wasn't worth 100%.:confused:

I just wanted to post this here so maybe the S.U will see it and consider suggesting that for the sake of some paper and a bit of copy and pasting the exam papers will be printed differently for I grade exams and repeat exams. The details aren't always the same (eg. exam percentage and time) The stress of the exam can make things more awkward to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alright_dave

What's the first big night out for Mary I freshers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ACREAN

Hi - I hope you can help.

When I was in school, I had a grind from a MI student for maths. It was great having someone near my own age.

I am now looking for someone to give Honors Maths grinds to my son who has just started the first year of the two year leaving cert program. Specifically seeking someone to deliver a 1 hour session twice a week in our Raheen home. If you can help, or know someone.
    Sincere thanks for your help on this.

Edit: Unfortunately, you are not allowed to post e-mail addresses. Please PM this poster instead.

Hi, the students union often has a number of students willing to give grinds. It may be a good idea to give them a ring.

Passed my repeat! :)
    Good luck to anyone else waiting til Monday. :D

• Advertisement

Passed mine too.... Yessssss!!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Anyone notice that Angel Lane are charging 1e for a glass of water in their premises. Bit disgraceful in my opinion

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Vote with your wallet, don't go there anymore. If you go back you're telling them that it's fine by you to be charged €1 for water. They're a business, they'll do whatever's profitable.

Can't believe they're charging for water! :eek:

Anyone been to The Orchard yet in The Granary?

Hi folks, just to let you know we have checked this out for you with the management of Angel Lane. The €1 charge in question is for a 500ml (plastic) bottle of water (Irish of course :D) and not a glass of water!

JD Sports are opening in The Crescent soon if any students are looking for a part time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Any sign of information about graduation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I posted on the MISU Facebook page asking and got no response. When I e-mailed them, I was told that the information would be out last week or early this week.

I have to go to London for a gig the weekend after graduation and I'm tempted to just not bother going to the ceremony. I only consider having gotten through college an achievement because of the fact that Mary Immaculate was such a hell for me, not because there was any doubt about the academic side of it going smoothly. Voluntarily going back to such an oppressive and negative place where I so grudgingly spent such a long amount of time in my life seems like a bit of a drag.

This is the only place I can find any information about it:
    http://www.mic.ul.ie/graduation2012/Pages/faqs.aspx

I still need to find out -
    1. What day my ceremony is on
    2. Where to get the tickets I need
    3. What the cheapest gowns available are
    4. If there are any downsides to not going

Not that I want to avoid the people I went to college with; it's not like I wasn't vaguely amused by the people I met there (although mostly the ones from the Arts subject I did; most of the B.Eds I knew were incredibly boring individuals), I just don't really have much time for friends unless they're proximal or worth the effort of keeping in touch, which the majority of them really weren't. I remain acquaintances with them through Facebook and just don't really need any more from them than that. I have plenty of friends in Cork who are far more interesting, far less conservative, with whom I have far more in common with.

Graduation schmaduation if they don't come out with more information soon. I need to book my flights and if I'm not graduating, there's no need to fly out of Shannon.

There's a link on the side there for the conferring schedule. I'm only a 2nd year so I haven't been paying attention to the Grad details but does that not tell you what day you'd be on at least.

I'm not much help but maybe the answer is there?

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Firstly apologies if we did not answer Facebook post, we try our best to answer everything but the busy nature of the office and the sheer volume of posts and private mails we get means we do miss out sometimes. We have however tried to give everyone as much information about Graduation as possible which is very little as we haven't had official confirmation from the college.

Now onto the good news, Student Services is currently in the middle of updating all details on the Graduation page, once this is complete it will be published to the homepage (this is why it is not visible anywhere on the site as it is currently been worked on in the background but everyone seems to have managed to find it somehow)

Hope this helps

MISU Team

Advertisement