Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Chloris wrote: »

I have to go to London for a gig the weekend after graduation and I'm tempted to just not bother going to the ceremony. I only consider having gotten through college an achievement because of the fact that Mary Immaculate was such a hell for me, not because there was any doubt about the academic side of it going smoothly. Voluntarily going back to such an oppressive and negative place where I so grudgingly spent such a long amount of time in my life seems like a bit of a drag.

Not that I want to avoid the people I went to college with; it's not like I wasn't vaguely amused by the people I met there (although mostly the ones from the Arts subject I did; most of the B.Eds I knew were incredibly boring individuals), I just don't really have much time for friends unless they're proximal or worth the effort of keeping in touch, which the majority of them really weren't. I remain acquaintances with them through Facebook and just don't really need any more from them than that. I have plenty of friends in Cork who are far more interesting, far less conservative, with whom I have far more in common with.

I'm sorry you feel that way about your time in Mary I Chloris. Fortunately I find myself in a very different position to you, in that I enjoyed my time there, am very proud of what I've achieved academically and socially, and I am looking forward to returning at the end of the month.

I made the time to make friends, and made the effort to keep in touch. For me graduation is a chance to meet up with these people. It is also the culmination of something I worked very hard for, both academically and financially so I'm taking the opportunity to celebrate that.

Personally, I would advise you not to go to graduation if you are dreading it so much. The graduation is an hour and a half long. I'm excited about seeing my "uninteresting" and "conservative" friends receive their degrees, but it will be a very long ceremony for you if you have to sit through the graduation of all the people who only "vaguely amused" you.

I should also remind you that your identity on Boards is not anonymous, and labelling B.Ed.s as uninteresting, conservative, incredibly boring and not worth the effort of keeping in touch with, might be slightly insulting to the friends you made in B.Ed.

Thank you for replying to my question. The Mary I site has been updated so I have all the information I need now.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Graduation information is now available from the below link. There is also a link to register for graduation on this page.

http://www.mic.ul.ie/graduation2012/Pages/default.aspx

Below is a statement from the college about why you have to fill out a survey

"We at Mary Immaculate College regard the quality of the student experience as a priority. Our objective is to provide an excellent education as well as an environment that is conducive to personal development.

We are therefore surveying students who are about to graduate in order to harvest the wealth of valuable knowledge and opinions that exists amongst you, our graduating students. The information you provide is vital to us in order to help us identify where we should focus our efforts in making the MIC learning experience one of the very best available to future students.

Your careful reflection on your experiences will ensure that your own degree is regarded by prospective employers as an academic award of the highest merit. This is what we strive for in your interest, and in the interest of the future generations of students to follow you at MIC.

When you have completed the survey questions you will be directed to the Online Registration Form for the 2012 MIC Graduation Ceremony.

Your survey responses are completely confidential.

If you have any queries or concerns regarding this survey you may contact Emma Barry, Quality Officer at 061-204515 or emma.barry@mic.ul.ie"

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Coopster91

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if I am posting in the correct Thread but sure..

Right. The new B.Ed course in Mary I. The 4 year degree. Do we still have to do a H.Dip after completing the 4 years in Mary I? I can't find accurate information on the Mary I website anywhere and some friends have mentioned that you have to do the dip after the degree....surely not though? I mean, 4 years in college and still have to do a Dip. to become qualified?

Also, what is this ''probationary period'' about after you qualify as a teacher?? Waaah?! :eek:

Help Please!

Coopster91 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

Not sure if I am posting in the correct Thread but sure..

Right. The new B.Ed course in Mary I. The 4 year degree. Do we still have to do a H.Dip after completing the 4 years in Mary I? I can't find accurate information on the Mary I website anywhere and some friends have mentioned that you have to do the dip after the degree....surely not though? I mean, 4 years in college and still have to do a Dip. to become qualified?

Also, what is this ''probationary period'' about after you qualify as a teacher?? Waaah?! :eek:

Help Please!

Hi Coopster,
    yes, you will still have to do your Dip "year" (100 days) after you graduate. God knows why it wasn't gotten rid of, but that's the reality I'm afraid.

When you graduate you become a Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT). You will then be registered with the Teaching Council. Your status with the Teaching Council is "probationary" until you complete your Dip and the 12 compulsory workshops organised by the National Induction Program. You can still sub and teach while you are a probationary teacher.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! :) Im still not sure what the Dip actually is though - is it your 100 probation hours + 12 workshops or is it another full time year of college + exams?? Do you understand what I'm asking?!

Sorry for being awkward now!!

Coop*91

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it.
    The Dip is 100 days continuous teaching in a class, or else 2 sets of 50 days. Basically you teach the class as normal, you complete short-term and long-term plans and you get inspected.

The workshops are completely separate to the Dip and you don't actually have to be employed by a school to do them. They're on in your local education centre every few weeks, you can sign up as soon as you get your final Mary I results and you have 3 years to do them all.

There are no exams/lectures involved in the Dip year. I think you might be thinking of the PGDE which is for people looking to do secondary teachers.

Ohhhhhh riiiiiight, now I get it, actually was thinking about the PGDE now that you mention it!!

Another ceist, what is the Gaeilge like in the course? Is it taught from an introductory level, like do they go through all the tenses etc with you in First Year or is it straight into novels, oral work, professional Irish..? I'm not very confident in my Irish as it's been 3 years since I was in secondary school - I got a HB2 in my Leaving.

Thanks very much for your help Cailin Cois Farraige!

PS - Where is your depth of knowledge coming from? Did you do Primary Teaching in MaryI? :)

Just finished the B.Ed. in Mary I, will be graduating at the end of the month.

Tbh, I'm not really sure how the Irish content works out in the new 4 year course. If it's anything like the original course, "Arts" Irish was all about poetry, stories, history etc. Professional Irish (Gaeilge Ghairmiúil) was about practicing speaking and learning grammar including tenses, tuiseals, noun genders etc.

The best advice I can give you is to expose yourself to Irish as much as you can. Stick on TG4 every now and then, try watching An Nuacht, have a look at Foinse. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Best of luck to everyone graduating this week! Take it away, Cliff!

...I pulled out all the stops with that one! :D:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Thanks for that Icarus, though I'll admit that I didn't hit play. I hope everybody who isn't graduating enjoys the days off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What are they doing to "The Quad"?

Was in College today and the place is conpletely ripped apart. Nice to see they got rid of those ugly prefabs though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

What are they doing to "The Quad"?

Was in College today and the place is conpletely ripped apart. Nice to see they got rid of those ugly prefabs though! :D

Noticed that myself when I was around. Now would be the perfect oppertunity to add a nice green/grassy area to the Quad, make it a place where people can actually sit down, relax and have a chat. Pretty sure it won some sort of 'Dullest Quad' award a few years ago :p

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Noticed that myself when I was around. Now would be the perfect oppertunity to add a nice green/grassy area to the Quad, make it a place where people can actually sit down, relax and have a chat. Pretty sure it won some sort of 'Dullest Quad' award a few years ago :p

You hit the nail on the head there, the quad is undergoing an extreme make over :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

totally off topic but is there anything in Mary I that I could undertake for my personal skill for the Gaisce Award?

For those who aren't familiar with the requirements here are the suggested ideas from their website, I've yet to come across anything in the college though.

http://www.gaisce.ie/challenges.aspx

Many thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

totally off topic but is there anything in Mary I that I could undertake for my personal skill for the Gaisce Award?

For those who aren't familiar with the requirements here are the suggested ideas from their website, I've yet to come across anything in the college though.

http://www.gaisce.ie/challenges.aspx

Many thanks

MIDAS - acting/musicals
    Wired FM - D.J'ing

Any idea when the application forms for the postgrad in education will be made available? Apparently the DES have sanctioned this year's course but there's no sign of an application yet on the Mary I site.

Has the college must have fallen off the face of the earth, or is everybody being so studious that they haven't time to post here? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

I suppose nothing exciting is really happening in the college at the mo,

... apart from the lambs liver and stewed carrots and onions, they were serving in the canteen last week. Like REALLY??

I think there is more artisan cuisine put into a tin of Pedigree Chum.

Any thoughts?

only18 wrote: »
    I suppose nothing exciting is really happening in the college at the mo,

... apart from the lambs liver and stewed carrots and onions, they were serving in the canteen last week. Like REALLY??

I think there is more artisan cuisine put into a tin of Pedigree Chum.

Any thoughts?

Canteen is pretty rank! Food is bland and flavourless at the best of times!
    I like the curry chips!

Some of the Aramark/Campbells-run restaurants in UL have unreal grub.

Would love if they got a Subway like Campbell's in UL have but I don't know if there's the numbers to sustain one.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Currently on Home Teaching Practice. God its weird to say that I'm actually missing the college a lot, its weird not having been there properly since the end of March...
    On the upside I have Christmas holidays in 15 days! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Essays make me sad... :(

And really stressed out! :mad:

Finally finished with Home TP! :D

dance-fresh-prince-funny-gif-will-smith-Favim.com-238381.gif

Congrats Icarus Wings, it's a great feeling to be finished with it. Good luck with your dissertation/AEE!

Thanks dambarude, it's a big relief to get one major hurdle over with. Gonna be tricky to change back into the dissertation "mindset" but it has to be done! :)

Good luck in the exams everybody! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Good luck in the exams everybody! :D

thanks but I think I need more than luck - total b****x of a semester this year

btw good luck to everyone sitting exams - and those finishing off assignments:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hope the exams went well for everyone! They went more than less good for me, big change from the LC Exams but that's a good thing.

Just wondering, when will the results be available or when are they normally? Hahaha yeah I know it's only been like two days but I'm just curious....

Cheers :D

Results are usually out in late January. Hope they went well for you!

Congrats to anyone that has been accepted into the postgrad

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Hope the exams went well for everyone! They went more than less good for me, big change from the LC Exams but that's a good thing.

Just wondering, when will the results be available or when are they normally? Hahaha yeah I know it's only been like two days but I'm just curious....

Cheers :D

I think I saw a sign in Tailteann saying the 4th of February but I could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I think I saw a sign in Tailteann saying the 4th of February but I could be wrong

I heard a rumour that you get a letter home before the end of Janurary if you failed some of your exams. Anyone know if this is true? :confused:

Advertisement