Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Think so, at least that was the way when I was in College, not that I got any :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think I only got the fail letter when it came to paying for repeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I think I only got the fail letter when it came to paying for repeats!

Ya someone else told me that yesterday actually.. Just wondering do any of ye do french or is it a hard subject to take to degree level? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Ya someone else told me that yesterday actually.. Just wondering do any of ye do french or is it a hard subject to take to degree level? :)

It's definitely a big jump up from first year. If you're struggling with it now I wouldn't recommend keeping it on. That said, it's a really interesting subject, there's a wide range of topics covered and the lecturers are all really friendly and helpful.

It's definitely a big jump up from first year. If you're struggling with it now I wouldn't recommend keeping it on. That said, it's a really interesting subject, there's a wide range of topics covered and the lecturers are all really friendly and helpful.

I'm kinda finding it hard in first year but I don't know what else to keep on so I guess I'll just have to work really hard at it :(

• Advertisement

I'm kinda finding it hard in first year but I don't know what else to keep on so I guess I'll just have to work really hard at it :(

What are your other subjects, coffeelover?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HaloThere

just wondering does anyone know what weeks 2nd year infant TP/exams take place? trying to organise summer plans and it would be a great help to know:)

What are your other subjects, coffeelover?

Irish, French, psychology and music. Think i'll keep on irish, but i've no idea which other one to keep on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

HaloThere wrote: »
    just wondering does anyone know what weeks 2nd year infant TP/exams take place? trying to organise summer plans and it would be a great help to know:)

You'll probably find out the specific dates when you go back, but Infant TP normally takes place in the first two weeks of May. Based on previous years, your schedule this semester will be lectures, exams and a TP prep week followed by the actual TP.

If I was to take a guess, I'd say Infant TP will be from 6th May - 17th May this year. That means the prep week would be from 29th April - 4th May. The exams would be the week prior.

Those are my rough estimates mind you! :pac: Head to the Education office the first week you're back or they might know the exact dates this week if you give them a ring!

Irish, French, psychology and music. Think i'll keep on irish, but i've no idea which other one to keep on :(

I much preferred French to Irish in first year.
    Irish is quite tough in 2nd year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Irish is quite tough in 2nd year.

It's tough enough, but people would find it much easier if they just read the damn stories/poems/readings!

/voice of experience

It's tough enough, but people would find it much easier if they just read the damn stories/poems/readings!

/voice of experience

Yeah, I would probably second that for French. . .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, I would probably second that for French. . .

It's sad to see it, but so many students come in to the college thinking they can get books of notes about everything. They'll pay for grinds instead of just reading the material for themselves. That's not how 3rd level is supposed to work!

So do ye think it would be tough to keep on french and irish? :(

So do ye think it would be tough to keep on french and irish? :(

Not necessarily, I know lots of people who kept those two. Any subject you take will have a lot of reading involved (except for Maths which is just a whole other story) so these two are no different. Plus they also give you a lot of options for your off-campus year.

Also remember that for off-campus placement, an irish placement is mandatory!

So you will have to at least 3 months in a gaelscoil or some other irish speaking environment (if you don't you have to go to the gaeltacht in august for 3 weeks and it costs about €900).

I did my Irish placement from September to Christmas just gone and I absolutely loved it! :D I woulda stayed there for life if I could! :P

Also remember that for off-campus placement, an irish placement is mandatory!

So you will have to at least 3 months in a gaelscoil or some other irish speaking environment (if you don't you have to go to the gaeltacht in august for 3 weeks and it costs about €900).

I did my Irish placement from September to Christmas just gone and I absolutely loved it! :D I woulda stayed there for life if I could! :P

And if I do french would it be mandatory to go to France? What do you hope to do after you graduate, if you don't mind me asking? :)

And if I do french would it be mandatory to go to France? What do you hope to do after you graduate, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Yes, you have to spend at least half your 3rd year in France.

I did the B.Ed. with French as my additional subject. At the moment I'm subbing in primary schools but I teach French grinds for Leaving and Junior Cert students and I run French classes for kids as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Are the Studens Union still knocking around here on the forum? I was gonna post to Facebook but I can't be bothered dealing with the lads that reply just to be funny so I said I'd chance my arm here.

Can someone please try sort out the side gate up by Scotts roundabout that opens by swiping your ID card. All last semester my card wouldn't work, even when student services did something to it (reissued it? reactivated it? I dunno) and it still never worked. :mad: Today there was about 8 of us in the pouring rain and none of the cards worked. Luckily one guy came along and his worked (after swiping it 3 times) :rolleyes:

Are the Studens Union still knocking around here on the forum? I was gonna post to Facebook but I can't be bothered dealing with the lads that reply just to be funny so I said I'd chance my arm here.

Can someone please try sort out the side gate up by Scotts roundabout that opens by swiping your ID card. All last semester my card wouldn't work, even when student services did something to it (reissued it? reactivated it? I dunno) and it still never worked. :mad: Today there was about 8 of us in the pouring rain and none of the cards worked. Luckily one guy came along and his worked (after swiping it 3 times) :rolleyes:

I usually just hop the wall! :P

• Advertisement

I usually just hop the wall! :P

Ha! I'm not as limber as you. I'd need a ladder. Or a hoist! :D

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi Guys,

Thanks for letting us know, we will pass on details to maintenance department.

Ha! I'm not as limber as you. I'd need a ladder. Or a hoist! :D

Did it in heels once after a night out.
    Didn't do it a second time. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Hope exams went well for everyone!

Nerd alert... :)

I wanted to be able to log onto my account in the library so got my PIN from the desk. But when I type in my details it just comes up 'Sorry, did not recognise your credentials'.

It asks for my 'borrower number'. Am I right in saying that that's my student no?

I wanted to be able to log onto my account in the library so got my PIN from the desk. But when I type in my details it just comes up 'Sorry, did not recognise your credentials'.

It asks for my 'borrower number'. Am I right in saying that that's my student no?

Can never get that to work!

Nuts! :mad::mad:

Well at least I know it's not me being dim!:o

You rang? :D;)

Your borrower number is your student ID number with a 0 added to the front of it. There's no need for the 0 if your ID number begins with a 1 though.

Might be handy to change your PIN on the computer as well once you're logged in. I couldn't remember the one I got from the desk initially...:confused:

Did all that. But it still says that it doesn't recognize my credentials. I even threw in the 0 (even though I don't need it) just to see. Bah! Thanks though.

• Advertisement

Hmmm...well, I'm stumped! :confused:

Hopefully the library staff will be able to help you out, Ciderswigger!

Advertisement