Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I'm sure I sound like a Moaning Mary but sweet baby Jesus, those speed bumps going into the free car park are a joke. I'm in a Micra so the car is delicate enough as it is but they totally bashed up the underneath of the car today. And like I said, parking down by Scotts is a pain cos of the gate not working. I complained about the speed bumps 2 yrs ago and nothing was done ( I assume cos none of the students parked there so nobody listened to me). Now that everyone is going in there's more people giving out and maybe something will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

I'm sure I sound like a Moaning Mary but sweet baby Jesus, those speed bumps going into the free car park are a joke. I'm in a Micra so the car is delicate enough as it is but they totally bashed up the underneath of the car today. And like I said, parking down by Scotts is a pain cos of the gate not working. I complained about the speed bumps 2 yrs ago and nothing was done ( I assume cos none of the students parked there so nobody listened to me). Now that everyone is going in there's more people giving out and maybe something will change.

Hear hear. Actually got on to the su's Facebook page about this last week. They got back to me saying it was a maintenance issue and that they have been assured that the ramps will be replaced with smaller ones.

When? God only knows. But they are a nightmare alright!!

Is that 'hear hear' a yes that I'm a moaning Mary?! :P

Sooner they're fixed the better! My poor Micra nearly seesaws on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Is that 'hear hear' a yes that I'm a moaning Mary?! :P

Sooner they're fixed the better! My poor Micra nearly seesaws on them!

Haha. Not at all :). Just glad to hear there's someone else that is expecting the arse of the car to fall off going over those cursed ramps!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I wonder if there would be any comeback when bits keep falling off the cars, ive a skoda and that struggles over the bumps too. Ive complained about it as well. Really dont get why they need to be there at all.

Parking is an absolute nightmare this semester and I cant imagine its going to improve any time soon!

• Advertisement

Seriously, is picking a FYP topic supposed to be this hard?? :mad: :o

Seriously, is picking a FYP topic supposed to be this hard?? :mad: :o

2 recommendations
    1 pick something you are really really interested in !
    2 try to see if you can work your fyp around a decent supervisor

Not always easy to do but they were the 2 main tips I was given to picking a fyp.

What subject are you doing it in?

angeldaisy wrote: »
    2 recommendations
    1 pick something you are really really interested in !
    2 try to see if you can work your fyp around a decent supervisor

Not always easy to do but they were the 2 main tips I was given to picking a fyp.

What subject are you doing it in?

I'm doing English and Media and will most likely do the FYP in English. They are really broad subjects so I shouldn't complain but every time I consider a topic I think 'But am I 8k words interested in it??!' And anything I think of doing has already been done to death all over the world. I'm not expecting to have something that will stop the world in its tracks but I'd like to do something original.

I think I'm over thinking it/panicking too much. I'll go have a few beers and see what I come up with! :D

I'm doing English and Media and will most likely do the FYP in English. They are really broad subjects so I shouldn't complain but every time I consider a topic I think 'But am I 8k words interested in it??!' And anything I think of doing has already been done to death all over the world. I'm not expecting to have something that will stop the world in its tracks but I'd like to do something original.

I think I'm over thinking it/panicking too much. I'll go have a few beers and see what I come up with! :D

Couple of friends have just done their fyp in English and found it easier than writing an essay! One did it on some poet and the other looked at something about chick lit... so really broad as you say! They both said to consider it like writing a couple of essays.
    Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Heeeeey a 6th year barging in her, excuse me :P But am I was wondering could any of ye tell me whats the hours like for a first year B.ED ? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

This is the first year B.Ed. timetable for this semester. The Autumn timetable is similar.

Have a look at the timetable, and just assume that you're in Group 6 for example. Add up the hours that Group 6 are listed to have a lecture. All groups are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is the quad finished yet?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yup. It's fantastic looking. Should be really lovely when we get our 10 days of summer! :D

the door was open this afternoon - but not sure if its 'officially' open yet

heard a rumour that it cost 150,000 to do - it looks great - but still....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Yup. It's fantastic looking. Should be really lovely when we get our 10 days of summer! :D

What have they done with it?

heard a rumour that it cost 150,000 to do - it looks great - but still....

:eek::eek: Shut the front door!!!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dambarude wrote: »
    What have they done with it?

Nice walk-way between patches of grass, loads of spots for people to sit down spread around the periphery. The pre-fabs/offices are gone so the chapel stands out a lot more. The corridor off Information Alley/the Arts Office has been improved too.

Few pictures up now on the college Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mary-Immaculate-College-Limerick/274106285392

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Just wondering when you are bringing back an overdue book to the library do you pay them at the main desk? Or should I have money on my card? :confused:

Just wondering when you are bringing back an overdue book to the library do you pay them at the main desk? Or should I have money on my card? :confused:

I've never been asked to pay? not sure what the procedure is, but I usually ask / tell them I need to pay fine:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

When you've gone over €5 on your account, your card is locked and you won't be able to take out any more books. It'll tell you to go to the desk and just tell them your card is locked and you've a fine to pay, they'll take your card, check how much is needed to be paid and you pay them there and then. I had an €8 fine a few weeks back because I took out books for first year TP and went home for the weekend etc. They're really nice though, she just let me pay a fiver and was like forget about the three until you get your card locked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I see there's planning permission to take out one of the meeting rooms in Tara and replace it with a bar facility for the Lime Tree.

Yello! Does anyone know if the computer labs are open this week? Ta.

Yello! Does anyone know if the computer labs are open this week? Ta.

helloo, yup they are definitely open- was in there today:rolleyes:

helloo, yup they are definitely open- was in there today:rolleyes:

Quick reply! Thanks, you're as handy as a small pot! :);)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Well done to all the psychology students who attended congress this year. Amazing results for the psychology department! Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I thought the first semester flew, the 2nd was worse if anything :eek:

Quick question not worthy of a thread, when do 1st Year BA's pick the subjects to hold for second year?

13spanner wrote: »
    I thought the first semester flew, the 2nd was worse if anything :eek:

Quick question not worthy of a thread, when do 1st Year BA's pick the subjects to hold for second year?

You choose your 2 subjects in first week of semester 1 usually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Just wondering when are repeats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Just wondering when are repeats?

Not sure of the exact dates this year, but normally you're talking about the week before everyone starts the new Autumn semester - last week of August or first week of September for exams.

Advertisement