Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma 10-20 OR Sigma 24-20 f2.8

• 23-04-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Right.
    Having come into a nice bit of money, I worked out Ive enough for EITHER a sigma 10-20mm or a sigma 24-70 f2.8. My query is which would you consider more important in my situation?

Im a big fan of landscapes and portraits - and next year in college I'll be spending a lot of time at portraits, I'd imagine. I'll be spending the summer in the car looking for nice landscapes too. Which would lean me towards the 10-20.

However Im also a fan of live gig photography and other than my nifty 50, Ive feck all with a decent wide apenture.

Basically, which would be the best for me and why?

Oh, there's always the C option: save up and get a macbook pro...
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

(EDIT: Sorry about the thread title! *facepalm*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Are you shooting Canon or Nikon? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

regardless, go for the 10-20. get the new 3.5 if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Nikon, sorry, meant to say that too!
    The 3.5 looks too pricey for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Dont really see the point of the new f3.5 version, sure almost all wide landscapes will be shot a narrow arpetures?

Op have you considered the sigma 18-50 f2.8? Might be a better all round lens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 XenonMan

I been using 10-20 Sigma for Over a year now.Its very nice lens to use indoors with flash.At first,when i bought it i was using it everywhere,indoors outdoors,action fotography.Fotos are very nice/interestings because of very vide angle.I would say go for it.

Mine actualy is for sale,Nikon fitment,PM if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have the Sigma 10-20 & it was what I mainly used used for shooting the Kilmainham Gaol photo's. In fact I think every image I have had selected was shot with that lens. It does well for landscapes too but is not a lens I would select for portrait work. A wide lens will give incorrect proprtions to a face, as you are shooting close & the distance to differnt features on the face is significant. If you go too long, then the facial features are flattened. In the past about 135mm (on 35mm) was called a Portrait Lens, as this is where the images look about right. This is why the Nikon 85mm F1.8 is often called a portrait lens as it's sharp, fast & has the right length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would second the 18-50 f2.8 from Sigma, had one when I was on crop cameras and it was superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

If you want a good wide angle on Nikon DX then I'd go for the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

I had the Sigma 10-20mm on my old D300 and sold it to buy the Tokina and I wasn't disappointed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

landyman wrote: »
    Dont really see the point of the new f3.5 version, sure almost all wide landscapes will be shot a narrow arpetures?

Op have you considered the sigma 18-50 f2.8? Might be a better all round lens

It's great to have the option of 3.5.

Also, a 10-20, which works out at about a 16-35 on a cropped sensor, works great for gigs, especially if you pop a flash on. It's also great for environmental portraits, which you could well be doing a lot of in college next year, depending on course/your own direction. I went down the route of a 10-20 way before any fast primes, and I loved the lens.

This is from a good few years back (And is waaaay overprocessed, looking back on it), but it gives you a good idea of what the 10-20 can do for portraits.
    154900455_f7d365db08.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i have the sigma 10-20 on a canon and i'm very happy with it.

however, i think sigma also do a 12-24 that is suited to both cropped and full frame sensors. I would have bought this lense at the time if i knew about it.

also - i have a 24- zoom and i find it just not wide enough for general use on a 1.6x body. although i haven't ever tried gig stuff so cant comment on that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement