Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki Swift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're cool, the floating roof makes it look a bit mini-like. my neighbour has one with stripes, and I must say, it looks good.

They don't drive as tight as a MINI, but they're the coolest of the everyday hatches in that age bracket I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Never been in one but they're very good looking, Plus Jap reliability!

Have to say, Mini's are the car I see being towed most often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Grahamo999 wrote: »

Thats a terrible thing to read - I hope to buy a mini in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Never been in one but they're very good looking, Plus Jap reliability!

The Swift we get is built in Hungary! they are very well built though.

Also, I find it hard to believe you see MINIs being towed so often given that they're not all that common, and wouldn't exactly have a name for lots of breakdowns, unless you're a mechanic in a MINI garage I can't see how that's possible!

Thats a terrible thing to read - I hope to buy a mini in the summer.
    Thats just what I've noticed, sorry! :o

I'm not a mechanic but I was just saying what I saw, I think the reason it really stuck in my head though was because I saw a 04 or 05 one being towed by an 89 Merc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Well thats very discouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

Swift GTi 1.3 from say early 90's now that was a fun little car

sorry not really relevant but i said i would mention it :)

Maybe I saw loads of em because I use to live in Finglas!

Not saying they break down loads there but Joe Duffy's wasn't far from where I lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

My girlfriend has a '06 model. Its been faultless and she loves it. Nippy enough for a 1.3....90bhp AFAIK. Only negative comment would be that its a bit light on the motorway in heavy cross winds. She gets about 500KM out of a full tank

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Bought my other half one in January 07' and have never had an ounce of trouble with it, Its quite surprisingly spacious inside and a nippy little handler, its a fun car to drive.I take it to work every now and then and love it. Its got a good few extras too, air con,abs,alloys,mp3 cd player,fogs. Only draw back is boot space but theres enought to carry a buggy and a bit of shopping.
    A good car though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very underrated car, mostly overlooked by the motoring public in favour of the Polo, Yaris or Micra, etc. Mainly due to the limited engine range, small dealer network and non existant marketing.

I was in one once and it surprisingly doesn't have that small car look or feel about it on the inside that other superminis have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I drove one a week or 2 ago. I didn't drive the 1.5, but I reckon it's worth driving the 1.3 and 1.5, though the 1.3 is nippy enough, it wasn't as nippy as the Astra. salesman said the BHP is 91 on the 1.3.

Nice little driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Sister has a 2006 1.3 GLX 5dr one. Great little yoke. There's 85 brake and no weight in the thing so it can move. She just tootles about town in it but I took in out for a "spin" last weekend under the guise that I'd wash it for her. Engine is mad to rev, slip road, 2nd gear and floor it - great craic. She's never had a bit of trouble from it wither, even though there is only 22k km on it but they really never give trouble.

Hers had a recall recently for something to do with the steering column so make sure that has been done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

EPM wrote: »
    Sister has a 2006 1.3 GLX 5dr one. Great little yoke. There's 85 brake and no weight in the thing so it can move. She just tootles about town in it but I took in out for a "spin" last weekend under the guise that I'd wash it for her. Engine is mad to rev, slip road, 2nd gear and floor it - great craic. She's never had a bit of trouble from it wither, even though there is only 22k km on it but they really never give trouble.

Hers had a recall recently for something to do with the steering column so make sure that has been done

My girlfriends had a recall about the deadlocks to the central locking and something else about the boot lining - would need to double check the boot thing with her. Agree its a good fun wee car to drive. However i found myself sliding out of the seat on few corners :D

My girlfriends had a recall about the deadlocks to the central locking and something else about the boot lining - would need to double check the boot thing with her. Agree its a good fun wee car to drive. However i found myself sliding out of the seat on few corners :D

The seat material is like it's coated in teflon or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I recently went for a test drive in one, and i found it very good......nippy, solidly built, responsive steering, good interior.

PS- an overlooked alternative - the mitsubishi colt, cheaper second-hand, its a little belter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As long as you don't paint the roof white, and put white stripes on, they're a cracking car. Especially the sport version - I got to drive one recently in Poland, it looks the part with the twin exhausts, and really has a fun factor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Great to hear some positive comments on it! I've read some criticisms of it being very "rattley" in the cabin - people seem to even be putting foam etc. in the glovebox to try and dampen the noise??

PS fryup I'll look into the Mitsubishi Colt too, cheers!

Edit: for example; http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=88077

Noticed a couple of rattles in the sisters. It doesn't really rattle going over bumps as you'd expect. It's more on crappy road surfaces on corners I thought. It's not too bad unless you're super obsessed by rattles (rattles drive me nuts) but they are nothing the radio even down low wont fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I have a black 1.3 with racing stripes which I bought last August and I absolutely love it. Not had a bit of trouble with it...apart from today when I had a little crash in it. Oops. :(

Jen ;->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Lovely little motor. Based on my very limited experience (20 minutes behind the wheel), I'd recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I like the look of it although never driven one. If I was looking at car that size would consider it.

Advertisement