Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renovating the model nialand

Options
  • 23-04-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

does anyone else feel enoyed over this or is it just me :mad:

heard 2day that the contractors brought in to renovate the model is SISK a semily world wide known company (cud be wrong bout the world wide bit)

and a new road been done somewhere in sligo is been done by a nothern company..

yet we are told to shop locally to keep our local business going and yet these head people are getting in other contractors elsewhere,

where as all the many many local contractors around sligo is litterly goin into st columbus over been so depressed over been in finanical ruins

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The council have no say in the matter. When it comes to government contracts they have to accept tenders from any company in the EU and choose the most suitable. If they choose an irish contracter despite their being a cheaper eu contracter it would land us in hot water with the eu competition authority. It's something the EU brought in and seeing as they have thrown money at us since we joined we can't really complain all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

And if we chose to go with an Irish contractor the chances are their prices would have been higher and the country would be a worse situation regarding the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

But Sisk are an Irish company? (As far as I know..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

rio-rose wrote: »

heard 2day that the contractors brought in to renovate the model is SISK a semily world wide known company (cud be wrong bout the world wide bit)

yet we are told to shop locally to keep our local business going and yet these head people are getting in other contractors elsewhere,

where as all the many many local contractors around sligo is litterly goin into st columbus over been so depressed over been in finanical ruins

I've seen the designs for the re-vamp & it does indeed look very impressive... It is already a really cool gallery, but what it is adding is brilliant -

- An increased and improved Gallery space
    - A purpose built performance space with a high technical specification
    - Seven purpose built artists studios
    - One artists' residency studio for visiting artists
    - One Music Recording Studio
    - A doubling of Education facilities

You really can't argue with that - it's an long awaited injection into Sligo's arts & culture.

As for the contract issues you have. It ain't all that simple. There are zero, none, zilch building firms in Sligo that would be able to deliver a project of that size. Let alone on time or on budget. And the same applies for the roads.

Awarding tenders to contractors often comes down to a combination of price, time schedules & competency. Or at least it should.

I spent over two months looking for a tradesman in Sligo who could plumb & tile 3 bathrooms for me at a reasonable rate. A complete waste of time - they were either too expensive or could tile but not plumb, or vice versa. In the end, I got a tip, here on the Sligo forum & got in a tiler who lives in Mullingar and isn't Irish.

But he is a very competent tiler & isn't charging me stupid money. The Niland's a much bigger job, but the same principles apply.

I dunno who the road contractors are, but Sisk are an extremely competant firm, having built a hige amount of high profile buildings around the country.. from The Marine Institute in Galway to the Royal Hospital Kilmainham's Museum of Modern Art in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Seriously - you can't go complaining that people aren't buying Irish bananas when Ireland doesn't grow bananas....

• Advertisement

But Sisk are an Irish company? (As far as I know..)

Just googled them and yes you are right.I never knew that, for some reason thought they were Spanish or from somewhere around there. They have a lot of impressive projects on their portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Xiney wrote: »
    Seriously - you can't go complaining that people aren't buying Irish bananas when Ireland doesn't grow bananas....

Ireland is the biggest banana exporter in europe (no joke!)
    well it was 5 years ago

It did however import 100% of those exported banana's!

Just you!

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Just googled them and yes you are right.I never knew that, for some reason thought they were Spanish or from somewhere around there. They have a lot of impressive projects on their portfolio.

Sisk have been one of the biggest building companies in Ireland for years.

elshambo wrote: »
    Ireland is the biggest banana exporter in europe (no joke!)
    well it was 5 years ago

It did however import 100% of those exported banana's!

Just you!

We are the gateway to Europe for much if the rest of the world.

Sisk have been one of the biggest building companies in Ireland for years.

I knew they built things in Ireland but I didn't actually realise that they were Irish.

• Advertisement

Yep just you. As long as it's been built and completed relatively near to the said completion date give or take a couple of months, then I don't really mind.

It's always right to question things. You may be more right than I am. And the more I think about things, the more I question them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

The council have no say in the matter. When it comes to government contracts they have to accept tenders from any company in the EU and choose the most suitable. If they choose an irish contracter despite their being a cheaper eu contracter it would land us in hot water with the eu competition authority. It's something the EU brought in and seeing as they have thrown money at us since we joined we can't really complain all that much.
    thats an interesting fact for me almighty cushion..and as you said we have to do wat they want seen as their given us the money..

reason i asked was i wondered why it was given to SISK instead of keeped locally

well bobcar, looks like im the only one whos enoyed over the work not been given to possible a relation of yours ;) and been in fair of yet another company going down the drain,

ah well forgive me for been worried over peoples affairs :(

thats an interesting fact for me almighty cushion..and as you said we have to do wat they want seen as their given us the money..

reason i asked was i wondered why it was given to SISK instead of keeped locally

well bobcar, looks like im the only one whos enoyed over the work not been given to possible a relation of yours ;) and been in fair of yet another company going down the drain,

ah well forgive me for been worried over peoples affairs :(

Sisk actually have an office in Sligo - I'd expect that quite a few local tradesmen will be brought in on contract to work on the project. As I said earlier, there is no local based contractors who would be capable of handling such a big job.

Sisk actually have an office in Sligo - I'd expect that quite a few local tradesmen will be brought in on contract to work on the project. As I said earlier, there is no local based contractors who would be capable of handling such a big job.
    thats gud then, thats they employ local people then to do the job..

ya when ya sit and think of it, it will be a huge job so the majority of smaller contractors wouldn have the ability of doin with work force and all that

thanks for clearing it up for me dont feel as bad now :)

well bobcar, looks like im the only one whos enoyed over the work not been given to possible a relation of yours ;)

A possible relation of mine? Tell me all you know.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    A possible relation of mine? Tell me all you know.

well bobcar i know dam all been honest,
    just a say i was explaining to you that you never know but any jobs that cud be in jeporidy cud just as quick be a relation of yours

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's got nothing to do with if the EU has funded it or not. Even if the EU didn't fund it we would still have to accept tenders from EU contractors.

Advertisement