Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

false pregnancy with a husky

Options
  • 23-04-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

My 2 year old Siberian has been going through a false pregnancy for the last 4 days. She is nesting and become very agressive towards our other husky bitch.
    Does anybody else have experience with this especially with a Siberian ?
    Is it best to go to a vet or will she just get over it?
    I have not yet decided if I want to spay her..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Are you absolutely sure she couldn't be really pregnant? If not and if it's only a mild case of pseudopregnancy she'll get over it herself in a couple of weeks. Try not to let her nest or get maternal towards her toys and if you can get a lampshade collar have it handy in case she starts plucking or stimulating lactation by licking. If you can keep her away from your other girl it might be a good idea because she could become very aggressive even though it's not in her character - like turbo charged PMT.
    You can get an injection/tablets from the vet to help but they can have side-effects and are probably best used for the more serious cases. If she's had one pseudopg she's more likely to have another one after her heats. TBH you need to decide if you're going to breed from her or not sooner rather than later as spaying is the only guaranteed way to stop this happening again. Pseudopregnancy can also increase her chance of pyometra and mammary tumours in later life so if you decide to spay do it this year - you'll have to wait until the symptoms fully subside before its done though.
    It's a horrible thing to have to watch because your dog is acting so out of character - our lab had one pseudopg when she was 2, we bred her once at her next heat and spayed her after that.
    Hope your girl feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Your girl is experience a phantom pregnancy? Has she been in heat recently? My dog goes through this after every heat. Its nothing to worry about really, just don't sympathise with her or encourage her behaviour, if she has a "pup" take it off her my dog used to carry and nest with a teddy, she may cry for no reason, its tough not to comfort her but its doing her no favours by do it. I would advise that you have her spayed (if thats what you decide) a few weeks after she comes back to normal. I wouldn't advise letting her have a litter "just for the sake of it" this will not do her any good. She will come right again in a few weeks and i would suggest you talk to your vet about having her spayed otherwise she will continue to have these phantoms after EVERY heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Well a dog did get into the garden,but we got the "morning after injections" last week so hopefully did the trick if he did get lucky..If it continues after next week I will drop her down to the vet or even change the vet as I felt he should have given her a better examination but you dont know until you go. I live in a country town with a lack of good vets im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Unfortunately, I had a bitch came to stay in the kennels last year that had been in season and a dog had got to her, the owners got her to the vets, she had the "morning after" injection (I think she had two) and gave birth to a lovely puppy. She did only have the one, so she probably would have had more without the injection, but its not infallible.

Just to add, it is incredibly difficult for vets to tell if a bitch is in pup, I didn't realise until we went through it how difficult it actually is. Ask the vet for a scan if it carries on, its not invasive and doesn't take very long, and only costs about €20 (well at my vets anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

She may be having a phantom, she may be in pup, you should have her scanned and even if no pups are detected you should prepare for her to whelp, just in case.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice, the vet seems wishy washy regarding scans etc..Said you would probley not even see them if under 6weeks old. Is this true?Is there not a 100% way of telling this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

violator13 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, the vet seems wishy washy regarding scans etc..Said you would probley not even see them if under 6weeks old. Is this true?Is there not a 100% way of telling this?

The general rule with a scan is, it can confirm there are pups present but if none can be seen it doesn't mean there aren't any, just means none can be seen.

Shes ok but its unusual to see her attack our older 12 year old husky. Now shes become timid towards her because of it. Will drop into the vet next week so for a check up.

Advertisement