Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen here?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just watching the programme about the naughty priests who robbed the money in america. Shocked by how seriously they took this relatively small amount of money. Would this have been taken seriouly here or even dealt with? Like it was less than a million, don`t our politicians p1ss this away before breakfast?

Have we become numb to this kind of thing...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Maybe we have become slightly numb but I'd prefer to hear about a priest having light fingers than molesting children so when you put it in that context then no, it's not a big deal.
    And politicians are doing the same as most businessmen, scratch my back & I'll scratch yours, get me that contract & I'll give you a backhander for your troubles.
    Some politicians made the mistake of getting caught. Most people would do the very same in their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

how much money was involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Bob Z wrote: »
    how much money was involved?

Less than a million according to the OP, not sure how close to the million it was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Yes I saw this prog as well. One of the priests was totally unrepentant, he genuinely couldn't see that he done anything wrong. A total lack of humility. What ever happened to thou shall not steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

OP, when I saw this on the news, I was asking exactly the same question. There is NO WAY that they would have been given custodial sentences here. without a shadow of a doubt they would have been given suspended sentences. No way would they have sent an 81 year old (I think) priest to jail.

The States have the right idea. They banged up Martha Stewart who was a high profile and respected individual for basically insider trading - would have NEVER happened here. They kill people who kill i.e. capital punishment, we let people out after 25/2 years. Our justice system is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Just watching the programme about the naughty priests who robbed the money in america. Shocked by how seriously they took this relatively small amount of money. Would this have been taken seriouly here or even dealt with?
    It would have been brushed under the carpet or hushed up, like some things in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Of course they would not go to jail.

The dumb churchgoing morons would forgive them anyway, just like they have forgiven the childf*ckers.

Hopefully the last year has opened everybodies eyes.

Advertisement