Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Ram

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Vostro 1000 that's starting to show it's age already, so i'm gonna give it a kick up the arse in the form of some RAM. I've never updated RAM in a laptop before, but i had to open it the other day to clean dust from the fan because it was overheating, so i've a fair idea what to do. I see from the invoice it takes '1024 MB 553 MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x 512 MB)' and i was wondering if i could upgrade this to two 2gig sticks and how much it would cost etc? The processor is 'V1000 Athlon TK53 1700 2C' which is an AMD 64, it came with XP but i got curious and upgraded to Vista and that's when it kinda got slow. I'd like to just speed things up a bit, would a RAM upgrade do that?
    Thanks in advance for your help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hmm, a quick google is giving conflicting reports as to whether the 1000 will take 4gb of RAM or just 2gb.

wiki link sez it will run stable with 4gb.

official specs say 2gb is the max.

it'll take faster 667 DDR2 ram as well btw.

tbh, the 4gb is worth going for even if it is XP imo. With RAM as cheap as it is sure why not! Note XP will only read and use 3.5gb tho.

the extra RAM will will make xp fly along

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I always thought as long as the processor was fast enough it could support up to a certain amount of ram? what is it about the Vostro that makes it not compatible, the motherboard or something? I'm running Vista Home at the moment, I'm sure that'll move quicker too? Thanks for your help, Where's good to buy the RAM? I was looking on ebay and it seems cheap enough but i also have to watch out for fake RAM apparently, is there nothing that isnt faked these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yer OS limits the amount of RAM; 32bit v 64bit

komplett.ie
    shop4memory.com
    memoryc.com

you want laptop RAM ie. 200pin SO-DIMM DDR2.

throw up a link to what ya choose before buying so we're sure!

going by this link on komplett the max ram for the 1000 is 2gb

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not sure if the Vostro 1000 would recognise more than 2GB RAM as the TK-53 is an older CPU so the onboard DDR2 controller might not be up to much. But as its past EoL there's eff-all info out there about it - AMD has a bad habit of denying any knowledge of ever manufacturing any CPU that isn't currently in production :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Ok, had exams but now i can address this again, thanks for the help so far, i reckon i'll risk the 4gb, is komplett the best place to buy it or will i find it cheaper? I don't mind waiting a bit longer if there's a big price difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement