Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is MyDog Sick?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to bring her to the vet on Monday but I've noticed that my seven month old's eating habits are strange.

There are days where she will eat a full portion of her food and then days where she won't touch it. That said, if I throw her a piece of chicken she has no problem eating it. Is she just being picky? I wouldn't give her that many treats but I do give her a few like chicken, the odd biscuit and the odd egg or piece of tuna.

I'm also thinking perhaps the food doesn't suit her. Yesterday when walking her, I noticed she spent a good while going to the toilet when she did have to go, and had several small 'stools' instead of one or two large ones. Would the food not be suiting her?

The other day when I gave her her food she ate a bit and then went out to the toilet. Its stuff I got in NI called Dr Jaynes. A friend of mine feeds it to his Springer and he swears by it. He says she really thrived on it.

She should be hungry as she's generally walked for at least an hour a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Does she eat much grass because supposedly dogs eat a lot of it when they don't feel well.
    Try changing her feeding habits,change brand possibly for about a week and see if you notice any change. If not it could be some of the treats you are giving her. Maybe tuna doesn't agree with her or something along those lines. Cut something out of the diet and see if you notice any change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Does she eat much grass because supposedly dogs eat a lot of it when they don't feel well.
    Try changing her feeding habits,change brand possibly for about a week and see if you notice any change. If not it could be some of the treats you are giving her. Maybe tuna doesn't agree with her or something along those lines. Cut something out of the diet and see if you notice any change.

I did notice her eating a bit of grass the other evening alright. Someone said to me that eating grass is a sign of worms but I only gave her Drontal on March 25th and the vet told me not to give her any again for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm all out of suggestions now.I'm now expert on animals or anything I was just speaking from previous experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Okie Dokie... First off, what breed is your dog? Some breeds can b pickier than others when it comes to food. And also when was the last time your pet was wormed?

My general tips on feeding go as follows Are you leaving food down all the time or leaving it down for a certain length of time ie a 20/30 mins and taking it back up again, cuz the latter would be best. Leaving your dogs food down all day it get them into the habit of "grazing" and not eating a good meal, if you had kids would you leave there dinner down all day so they could pick at it?

Until you have you dog eating a complete dog food don't give him any additions to it be it chicken/veg/pasta. Some dogs have a mind set and i know this sounds strange but i have seen it a hundred times... "em this food isnt the most tasty and if i dont eat it they will give me something tastier"... BE TOUGH.. if they miss a mieal or two its no major deal, AS LONG AS they are actively looking for food. If they are lethargic or showing no interest at all then bring them to the vet.

At the moment you should probably be feeding your dog three times a day, reduce to twice at 1yr old and once at 2yrs old. Its all about the quanity of food you are feeding. Know your pets weight and feed him/her according to the feeding instructions on the side of the bag.

If you are going to change your dogs food dont do so from day to day, this can cause tummy upsets. Gradually change it by mixing the new and old stuff and then slowing reducing the old stuff and increasing the new stuff. Bit dont do so every week give them a chance a good go with the food. And most important make sure you know what you are feeding your dog... a lot of dog food has crap in it, tbh i would generally say would i feed kids food that im dont know whats in it?

And as for treats, keep away from store bought ones, fresh fruit and veg are good for dogs but you have to be carefull what you give them and the amount as some can be dangerous and can give them runny poos. Your vet nurse whoudl be able to give you more info on feeding.

Hope this helps, best of luck!
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

An hour walk for a 7 month old seems like a lot to me. I believe the general guideline is 5 minutes for every month.

• Advertisement

Jules wrote: »
    Okie Dokie... First off, what breed is your dog? Some breeds can b pickier than others when it comes to food. And also when was the last time your pet was wormed?

My general tips on feeding go as follows Are you leaving food down all the time or leaving it down for a certain length of time ie a 20/30 mins and taking it back up again, cuz the latter would be best. Leaving your dogs food down all day it get them into the habit of "grazing" and not eating a good meal, if you had kids would you leave there dinner down all day so they could pick at it?

Until you have you dog eating a complete dog food don't give him any additions to it be it chicken/veg/pasta. Some dogs have a mind set and i know this sounds strange but i have seen it a hundred times... "em this food isnt the most tasty and if i dont eat it they will give me something tastier"... BE TOUGH.. if they miss a mieal or two its no major deal, AS LONG AS they are actively looking for food. If they are lethargic or showing no interest at all then bring them to the vet.

At the moment you should probably be feeding your dog three times a day, reduce to twice at 1yr old and once at 2yrs old. Its all about the quanity of food you are feeding. Know your pets weight and feed him/her according to the feeding instructions on the side of the bag.

If you are going to change your dogs food dont do so from day to day, this can cause tummy upsets. Gradually change it by mixing the new and old stuff and then slowing reducing the old stuff and increasing the new stuff. Bit dont do so every week give them a chance a good go with the food. And most important make sure you know what you are feeding your dog... a lot of dog food has crap in it, tbh i would generally say would i feed kids food that im dont know whats in it?

And as for treats, keep away from store bought ones, fresh fruit and veg are good for dogs but you have to be carefull what you give them and the amount as some can be dangerous and can give them runny poos. Your vet nurse whoudl be able to give you more info on feeding.

Hope this helps, best of luck!
    Hope this helps!

I've spoken to a few people today and think I'm going to change to Nutro. Alot of people think it could be the food so they've recommended it so think I'll change to it and stick with it for a while.

Thanks for your tip about the grazing though. I do leave the food with my dog all day as I'm at work. What I might start doing is leaving the feed with her for a half hour in the morning and then again when I get home from work at half 4 and then again when I'm putting her to bed at ten/eleven. That might help.

The dog was last wormed on the 25th March with Drontal and I was told that would do her three months.

Bluefrog wrote: »
    An hour walk for a 7 month old seems like a lot to me. I believe the general guideline is 5 minutes for every month.

I've heard that alright but she never seems short of energy. I usually split it out into two walks. One in the morning and one in the evening.

It helps to clam her down then in the evenings for when she comes into the house and then goes to bed.

I don't think its over stretching her though as she still has ample energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

What type of dog is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Triton wrote: »
    Someone said to me that eating grass is a sign of worms but I only gave her Drontal on March 25th and the vet told me not to give her any again for 3 months.
    Nope this isnt a sign of worms..more of a "dodgy tummy" in our terms. Both cats and dogs do it even if theyre on the so called "best" of food and nobody has really figured out why but generally is an indication that their digestive system is a bit "off.There is no proven veterinary medical explantion for grass eating in small domestic pets i.e cats and dogs!:)

Ive never heard of Dr. Jaynes so i cant speak for the quality of the food. But, what i will say is the dog will learn ridiculously quickly how to get "treat" food i.e the chicken you've been giving it. Why would it eat bland,dry biscuit food when it'll get lovely,tasty chicken in a day or so if it doesnt eat it...get what im saying??

Now..the thing is to differentiate between a savvy (chicken lovin dog) and a genuinely sick/brand hating one!

My test is 3 days for "most" things! Day 1 not eating-no prob; day2 -hmm ok take note of their demeanour & stools; day3= vet if still not eating, no question!!!

Animals wont starve themselves unless it is literally not possible for them to process the food in front of them so if after this length of time you should definitely have him at the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Triton wrote: »
    I've heard that alright but she never seems short of energy. I usually split it out into two walks. One in the morning and one in the evening.

It helps to clam her down then in the evenings for when she comes into the house and then goes to bed.

I don't think its over stretching her though as she still has ample energy.

Well for certain kinds of dogs it can be more of an issue with the development of their bones than a question of wearing them out energy wise. Mental stimulation can be just as effective.

Hope you get the diet sorted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

No.

Advertisement