Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright

• 23-04-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

I recently used a html template for one of my websites and extremly edited it. It was a free template with the following written:
    All of the free templates, layouts & menus that are featured within are distributed under some form of GNU/GPL License or under a Creative Commons License.

Since using the template I feel I have edited the template so much I shouldnt really have to still have their copyright on the webpage. Was just wondering can I be brought to court or can I take down the copyright?

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Which license was the original template released under?

And no you can't just decide that you can negate the original license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If it's the GPL, then you have to have the GPL licence on anything based on GPL code, is in itslef GPL code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

http://buzzprovider.com/buzz/ - thats an examply of the copyrighted template I have edited and taken the copyright out(obiously i havent published it to the net yet)

My point is what are the actual chances of legal action being taken & of them winning the case considering the template is so different.

I have an example of a company based in Kerry selling copyrighted templates to companies as origanals and taking the credit for the design(dont know if I'm allowed name and shame them on boards) :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

p wrote: »
    If it's the GPL, then you have to have the GPL licence on anything based on GPL code, is in itslef GPL code.

But, I think the OP is asking, with GPL software/code is it necessary to display the copyright notice on the website?
    Shanley wrote: »
    My point is what are the actual chances of legal action being taken & of them winning the case considering the template is so different.
    Ah, so not so much "is it legal / the right thing to do?" and more a sort of "will I get away with it?" question. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

http://buzzprovider.com/buzz/ - thats an examply of the copyrighted template I have edited and taken the copyright out(obiously i havent published it to the net yet)

One word - ethics
    I have an example of a company based in Kerry selling copyrighted templates to companies as origanals and taking the credit for the design(dont know if I'm allowed name and shame them on boards) :confused:
    So? Just because they're doing it doesn't make it right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement