Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVI to MPEG2 Conversion - Taking 5+ hours.... is this right??

• 23-04-2009 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Whenever I used "Any Video Converter" to convert an .avi file to an MPEG2 DVD-PAL file it takes at least five hours for the conversion process to complete.

Is this right?? My laptop has more than enough memory and disk space. Why is this so slow? Are there any programs that do it much faster?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

depends on lots of things
    which codec, resolution
    laptop spec , cpu
    and how long is the file ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

convertx to dvd 30 mins, 40 max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

depends on lots of things
    which codec, resolution
    laptop spec , cpu
    and how long is the file ?

Original file:
    Duration: 01:54:35
    Format: .mp4 (sorry, this current one is not .avi. but the same thing happens with .avi files too)
    Video Size: 1280 x 528
    FPS: 24 fps
    File size: 1.4gb

Converting to:
    Video codec: mpeg2video
    Video Size: 720x576
    Video Bitrate: 8000
    Frame Rate: 25
    Audio Codec: ac3
    Audio Bitrate: 128kbps
    Audio Channel: 2

Computer Spec:
    Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 1
    Memory: 1.00GB
    Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 1.60 Ghz
    Hard-disk: 11GB free of 64.4GB

The laptop is less than 2 years old and runs perfectly, and only has the bare essentials installed and very little running. I've been using Windows for 14 years and this one I can't figure out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Your computer is pretty crap specwise tbh...

You are reencoding a film length hd source to a dvd. That takes time.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Your computer is pretty crap specwise tbh...

You are reencoding a film length hd source to a dvd. That takes time.

It's just a laptop. It's the basics. But a program like Any Video Converter should function at full speed with those spec, surely, and NOT take SEVEN hours (yeah it took seven hours in the end)........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nothing wrong there, its a laptop with only 1GB ram running Vista, 1GB is barely enough for Vista let alone try convert an .avi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

eskimo wrote: »
    It's just a laptop. It's the basics. But a program like Any Video Converter should function at full speed with those spec, surely, and NOT take SEVEN hours (yeah it took seven hours in the end)........
    I'm not massively surprised either tbh...I wouldn't have guessed 7+ hours but I would have guessed 4-5.

The combination of barely enough RAM to run the OS plus a pretty feeble processor is killing you.

What video conversion program do you guys use?

P.S. I should have pointed out that WinAVI Converter only takes maximum two hours to do the same job. I just found AVC simpler to use. And I'm still no wiser as to why it takes so long. Anyway, I'll just go back to WinAVI.

Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I'm not massively surprised either tbh...I wouldn't have guessed 7+ hours but I would have guessed 4-5.

The combination of barely enough RAM to run the OS plus a pretty feeble processor is killing you.
    Aye, you've a fairly slow processor, and 1GB isn't enough for Vista to run well, i'd recommend 2GB, it's a fairly cheap upgrade and well worth it.

Encoding time is a function of a lot of variables as mentioned, you can speed up or slow down an ecode a huge amount with different quality settings etc. Even with WinAVI, there are different quality settings that will greatly slow your encode.

It may even be a case that AVC is not using both cores effectively. (have you checked cpu usage?)

• Advertisement

Yeah I just did it on WinAVI Converter.

45 MINUTES!

45 mins vs 7 hours. AVC sucks!!
    I'm sure there's no amount of settings you can change that justify 7 hours when it can clearly be done in 45 mins. I blame AVC. Unless I can be proven wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

eskimo wrote: »
    Yeah I just did it on WinAVI Converter.

45 MINUTES!

45 mins vs 7 hours. AVC sucks!!
    I'm sure there's no amount of settings you can change that justify 7 hours when it can clearly be done in 45 mins. I blame AVC. Unless I can be proven wrong.
    Different settings, different encoders.

Its a bit like taking two totally different cars and asking why they have different accelerations.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Different settings, different encoders.

Its a bit like taking two totally different cars and asking why they have different accelerations.

How different could two standard free video converters be? Could the differene be SO large as to explain why one of them is 9 times faster than the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes.

And usually if you want high quality a slower multipass is better. You convert once and watch many.

It takes MASSIVE HW, usually dedicated, to convert realtime at DVD quality. So any ordinary PC should take much longer than playing time unless you are reducing quality or resolution a lot.

I can't get better than x2 real time (2hrs view time takes 4 hrs proc time) for decent DVD quality encoding in MPEG4 (real broadcast MPEG4, not DivX). 2G RAM, XP with all unneeded services off, X1600 graphics and AMD 3700+ x64.

Converting for 320x 240 is faster than real time. Converting for Archos DVD resolution (but not DVD quality) but DivX is about 17fps (slightly faster than real time). But lower bitrate/quality settings as only a 4.3" screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 andrewison

try looking at handbrake, open source and very very good. However remember it all depends on ur processor , memory, etc.....to how long it take to encode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Converts to loads of different formats and its free!

converts video files audio files and images. :)

Can also rip straight from dvd to mpg or any other format you might need.
    and even fixed damaged audio/video files.

www.formatoz.com

Advertisement