Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accidents

• 24-04-2009 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Just read there bout that guy who was killed on monday out in tallaght. Report says he lost control and hit a barrier.

Does anyone have any stats on how many deaths involve other vehicles and how many are just down to losing control of the bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

RSA website I'd say. Condolensces to the guys friends and family..always hate hearing of a rider leaving us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

The majority of motorcycle fatal accidents are single-vehicle accidents. That's one thing I remember from my BikeSafe assessment with the Garda!

R.I.P to the biker who lost his life. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

paulieeye wrote: »
    Does anyone have any stats on how many deaths involve other vehicles and how many are just down to losing control of the bike?

Came across this earlier:
    http://www.aaireland.ie/infodesk/driving_advice/motorcycle_data2.asp

It is data from 1996 to 2003, Id say there is more up to date data somewhere though.
    Was suprised at the number of fatalities and injuries where no helmet was worn:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I was thinking about getting a bike this summer. The amount of fatalities worry me though, not sure if riding a bike here in Ireland is worth the risk. What are other bikers views on the main cause of accidents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Fionn^ wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting a bike this summer. The amount of fatalities worries me though, not sure if riding a bike here in Ireland is worth the risk. What are other bikers views on the main cause of accidents?

Most dangerous thing with a bike is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars best of luck if you decide to get a bike..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Lack of training is a problem. You can minimise your risk by driving slower, staying out of blind spots and wearing reflective gear but even then you'll be as likely as any other motorist to have an accident only you don't have a metal box for protection, so more likely to be killed.

R.I.P. that lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

As a long time bike driver, they are only as dangerous as you want to be proper training and safe driving will see you safe. the key really is to up train your skills and maintain a good skill level. u would be amazed at the the amount of bikers who have never under gone any proper driving courses, as someone who has after years of driving i was gob smacked at what i learned. all very valuable lessons in staying safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

More to this specific case than you'll probably hear in the press, but RIP all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

chasm wrote: »
    Came across this earlier:
    http://www.aaireland.ie/infodesk/driving_advice/motorcycle_data2.asp

It is data from 1996 to 2003, Id say there is more up to date data somewhere though.
    Was suprised at the number of fatalities and injuries where no helmet was worn:eek:

My understanding of how this stat is reported is that even if a person has a helmet on, if the strap isn't closed, the incident is recorded as 'no helmet worn'. I can't remember if I heard that from a gard, but maybe someone here knows for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=138

traffic stats link above unfortunately.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

In fairness if riders are stupid enough to go out without a lid on, or even more stupidly, with one on but not strapped up then they deserve what's coming.

Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭383Ger

Have driven bikes the last few years and have about 50,000 miles under my belt now and it's always the death of another motorcyclist that hammers home the need for greater awareness when you're out there. How often do we end up saying "There go I but for the grace of God". Anyone who has been riding for a long time has experienced a "close shave" at some stage, something to shake us up, whether our own fault or someone elses, and it's these type of experiences that make you a better biker, a practical awareness of the dangers we face.

And if/when you become a safe biker (with courses and experience) and are out there on the open road with the wind in your face, there is nothing like it. My condolences to the family of the latest casualty...and to everyone else....stay safe!

Found this motorcycle accident data quite interesting:

http://www.essex.police.uk/bikesafe/stats09.htm

Ok its for essex. uk but interesting all the same, as it gives road conditions, weather, time and age group of fatalities.
    It also has Injury collisions involving motorcycles divided into groups- scooters, bikes up to 125cc and over 125cc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

paulieeye wrote: »
    Just read there bout that guy who was killed on monday out in tallaght. Report says he lost control and hit a barrier.

He didnt lose control,his bike seized up and spat him off.

Get your facts right in future and show some respect aswell with regards what you say about another person,especially in a very sad circumstance such as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

In fairness if riders are stupid enough to go out without a lid on, or even more stupidly, with one on but not strapped up then they deserve what's coming.
    Darwin.

If they are not closed properly or fall off , i think its counted in stats as "no lid".

Probably worse at times than to have none.

Still , i'd imagine you wouldn't say that to say 5 mates of a recently deceased lad somehow.

No-one "deserves what's coming"

Out of interest , is the post for inadequacy reasons ?
    ji wrote: »
    Most dangerous thing with a bike is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars best of luck if you decide to get a bike..

Much the same could be said for the nut holds old cars together

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60546537&postcount=3837

Since the cars involved have things like

no ABS / substandard brakes by todays standards

no headrests to help reduce injuries

are sometimes rebuilt by non-professional mechanics

may have metal fatigue

may have large amounts of welding done by non-professional welders

said welding may be done in safety critical areas like suspension mountings , structural etc etc.

paddy147 wrote: »

Get your facts right in future and show some respect aswell with regards what you say about another person,especially in a very sad circumstance such as this.

In fairness the OP was put up only a few days after the accident. It is 6 weeks since that posting, and maybe more info is known now than at the time of posting. I dont think the OP was meant in any way maliciously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

bushy

Out of interest , is the post for inadequacy reasons ?

No. But I imagine yours is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

RIP that lad made , greater pity it seized and caused it.

No. But I imagine yours is.

Do you really have to ?
    What do you expect me to say ?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58840052&postcount=49

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58006290&postcount=15

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58148442&postcount=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Driving (in the box) into Bray yesterday......approaching a T junction ,straight ahead to Bray or right turn ahead with a right turning lane, two cars in front are turning right i'm going straight, ..behind me theres a bike approaching fairly briskly....as the road is narrow he takes to the wrong side of the solid white line and pulls in in front of me....no probs back it off a bit..its a silver RI/R6..not 100% sure, polish reg....:rolleyes:....the two cars pull into the right turn lane and he follows....but instead of waiting ,he zips past the two cars and goes straight on causing the first car to brake sharply to avoid creaming him...
    I'm not defending car drivers here but...as said above , for whatever reason some bikers are really just asking for it..
    Rant over....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

as was said earlier - its all down to the actual driver:

if someone has the common sense to drive carefully (respecting the roads and respecting other drivers then not a lot of people will die on the roads)

ignorance kills - learn the rules of the road and respect them. !!!

I've got both bike and car and no matter what I drive I can spot idiots on the road - we need to teach people properly and enforce traffic laws to help stop accidents and deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

paddy147 wrote: »

Apologies if my post caused offence as none was intended.

In the original post i said..."Report says he lost control". This was based on reports in the media as reported on RTE at the time.

You hear so often that motorbikes far more dangerous than cars, I was trying to gather info as to know more about how dangerous what we do is and in what respects, and how it can be avoided. Unfortuanly in this case, from what you say, it sounded unavoidable.

Advertisement