Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crap car

Options
  • 24-04-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

bought a car six mts ago second hand it been back to garage about 14 times same thing every time handbrake not working warranty gone any info on my rights to get garage to fix this or give me my money back :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

As far as I know, warranty should start again when the car goes back for repairs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If this particular issue first became apparent during the warranty period and they have yet to resolve it then you should be able to get them to repair it under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

i think your right about that but every time i go back they keep car car for 4 or 5 days so i no car and they never fix it got it back today still not working sick of having a car i cant drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

dangerus06 wrote: »
    bought a car six mts ago second hand it been back to garage about 14 times same thing every time handbrake not working warranty gone any info on my rights to get garage to fix this or give me my money back :confused:

What kind of warranty was given with it?
    I worked in warranty before, not cars but I presume the same rules govern all, & if someone left an item in for a week while it was still on warranty then the warranty would be extended by a week as it took the repair time into consideration.
    Also the item has to be fit for the purpose, consumer rights. So I'd say you bought the car to drive & not to have it in the garage more than you have it. Again I'm presuming here but I would imagine the garage would have to do a bit more for you.
    Anyway instead of taking my, possibly makey uppy, advice the best thing you can do is get onto consumer rights or your local citizens information office so you can be 100% sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

easyeason3 wrote: »
    get onto consumer rights or your local citizens information office so you can be 100% sure.

If the car has been back 14 or 15 times, then the above advice is definately the thing to do

• Advertisement

it was a verbal warranty and he has honoured it sort of .i ring citizens advice tom just hope i can get something back from him cause i could never sell it on the way it is its dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is it going back in for the same issue every time or different issues? With a car it's harder to fix some problems and a lot a fault finding is required. If it is different issues then you should be able to get him on not for purpose, if it's the same issue then you've gone pass the repair stage and it's now refund/replace.

I'd hope with the car going in for 4/5 days at a time he is giving you some sort of loaner car, have you asked for one?

hi no loan car. it usually the same problem handbrake not working but some other problems as well .rang ca today they said the same refund or replace so thanks everyone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

dangerus06 wrote: »
    hi no loan car. it usually the same problem handbrake not working but some other problems as well .rang ca today they said the same refund or replace so thanks everyone:)

The new type of electromechanical handbrake system can cause problems if you are not using it correctly. If you've been back to a garage 14 times with the same problem, either you are not using the device correctly or else your garage mechancics are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Can you please explain how someone could possibly be using a handbrake incorrectly? I'm really curious to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

eth0_ wrote: »
    Can you please explain how someone could possibly be using a handbrake incorrectly? I'm really curious to know.

The only thing I can think of is if you grind the hand brake into position rather than pressing the button. However, I believed that all hand breaks worked the same regardless of grinding or not. Only grinding will cost you a repair/replacement far sooner. My brother learned that the hard way.

In relation to the warranty: I had a similar issue with the coolant on my BM. Went back to garage 9 times over 14 months!!! They were really nice though and extended a new 6 month warranty each time and I had a courtesy car each time. Every conceivable part in relation to the coolant system was changed over time. In the end, it turned out to be tiny cracks in the hoses. I originally suggested this on the 3rd visit but I was dismissed. Had they listened, It would have saved everyone time and money. Patience is needed either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

goz83 wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is if you grind the hand brake into position rather than pressing the button.

Yes, that's all I could think of too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Handbrakes are frequently abused by people who don't know they're doing it. My mother's a classic case. She yanks it up, yanks it a bit more, and then just for good measure, a bit more again. The poor cable is stretched to hell and back again, which means every month I end up tightening the cable, until I replace it. But she won't change how she does it, years ago the car rolled away on her, and it's in her mindset now - despite me advising her to put it into first, etc.

hi the handbrake is a disc inside a disc and i been driving years never broke a handbrake yet .got another guy just to look at it and he said it new parts on it just wont work but found other probs with car.the garage left a pin out of brakes that needs to be replaced asap going back to garage tom:(

Advertisement