Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the current value of an 11 yr old half thoroughbred and half other breed hors

Options
  • 24-04-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Half bred thoroughbred horse with other breed 11 yrs old gelding that hunted and done cross country previousely what is his present value.He is being used as a school horse down the country at present.Any help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How do you mean half bred thoroughbred? He is either one or the other.
    The price would depend on if he was a good hunter, size, soundness, etc. Impossible to say but if everything was ok with him maybe €2 -€4k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I'd agree with that, I've seen loads of horses advertised at less than 3K these days ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

warmblood wrote: »
    Half bred thoroughbred horse with other breed 11 yrs old gelding that hunted and done cross country previousely what is his present value.He is being used as a school horse down the country at present.Any help please?

I take it you mean half-bred or ISH or equivalent?
    What colour passport/breeding does he have? Any sji/eventing/dressage points? I would say €2-4k is about accurate, but you would be very lucky to get €4k, given the current climate and the fact that such horses are not in short supply in this country. €2-3k would be just as accurate, but difficult to tell really without knowing the horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

I'd agree that the climate for horse selling is shocking but temperament sells. If he does his job without needing an experienced rider he handles well and is sound and bombproof then you could say 3,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

The basic price for any horse is the price the factory is paying for meat. To be worth any more than that, the horse must be able to do a job. The value of the horse is usually related to how well it can do that job, with adjustments for other factors, including:

Factors relating to the horse:
    - age - is it coming towards the end of its useful life
    - stage of training - is it ready to go, or still needs work
    - size - can it carry an adult, but not be too big for most (and harder to keep sound)
    - looks - there's a big vanity factor here - people want other people to say their horse is nice
    - health - I'll add conformation in here as it's a predisposing factor to the horse's likelihood to remain sound. Problems such as a heart murmur or sweet itch will seriously devalue a horse
    - temperament - I should really have listed this first, as it really does determine the size of the market for which your horse is suitable. A souped-up highly strung horse is going to have fewer potential new homes than a quiet plod, because it will need a rider of greater skill (and these are few and far between - and usually have a wide choice of very talented horses, so what does your horse have that's going to make it worth their while taking it on?)

Factors relating to the potential buyer:
    - a horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay, at the end of the day.
    - your horse may be capable of being a grade A showjumper, but if I'm looking at it as a horse for a bit of riding club at the weekend, it's only worth riding club money to me

Factors relating to the Market:
    - the rules of supply and demand apply: a type of horse which is hard to come by will command a higher price (quiet ponies which can be trusted with very small children are often so prized that families have their names on waiting lists for a hand-me-down)
    - the current economic climate is a big consideration- no one HAS to own a horse these days - they're a luxury commodity, and we're all cutting back on those
    - people are usually prepared to pay more for 'potential' - a horse will probably never be worth as much again as it was when it was an unbroken three year old, or just broken four year old. After that age, 'potential' quickly finds its limits, and unless the horse is talented, the maximum price for the horse is upon you.

You can see that it's not possible to give a ball park figure, as there are just too many variables.

What you could do, though, to give you an idea, is to spectate at a performance sale. Pick yourself a couple of horses to follow which are similar to your horse in age, type, experience and talent, and see what kind of interest there is in them.

Another thing people don't take into consideration when deciding the price they want for a horse is what it will cost them to continue to keep it if they don't sell. For example, if you have the horse with a trainer to prepare for sale, every week you hold out for a better price adds maybe 150 to the bill. So where you refuse 2k at the beginning of April, you'd need to be getting 2,600 four weeks later - and still have only the 2k out of it for yourself.

Sometimes the best decision is to take what you can get and cut your losses.

hth
    Chindato

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

The above answer is so eloquently put and correct no more need be said. You should run that in the field brilliantly put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

Why, thank you :)
    Hard-earned knowledge, unfortunately, but if I can shorten the knowledge curve for someone else, I'm only too happy to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

warmblood wrote: »
    Half bred thoroughbred horse with other breed 11 yrs old gelding that hunted and done cross country previously what is his present value.He is being used as a school horse down the country at present.

Could you give us

Colour
    Breeding (sire x dam)
    What has the horse done?
    How is the horse for shoeing, clipping, catching, loading in horsebox etc?

and maybe a photo?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭warmblood

Thanks everyone for all your advice sorry for delay in acknowledging your comments

Advertisement